hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The FA to sell Wembley?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Fulham playing in a 90,000 seater stadium...

In England everything is for sale.....

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In England everything is for sale.....
    Tae be fair I believe our national stadium is up for sale too 😉

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    Tae be fair I believe our national stadium is up for sale too ��
    I wouldn't give you much for it! Needs knocked down....

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    I would give you much for it! Needs knocked down....

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

It's about the NFL.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

That must make the wee piece of turf from 1976 in my back garden worth a few bob!!

Will the FA be giving the taxpayer back their share of the money used to build it?

Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    I hope he brings in an American standard of fast food. Last time I went I paid £7 for a burger made out of shoe leather and garnished with kitten sick!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Can't see him moving Fulham from Craven Cottage - this is so the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars has a permanent home in the UK, so they can become the UK NFL Franchise.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Absolute madness. English football is ****ed

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Can't see him moving Fulham from Craven Cottage - this is so the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars has a permanent home in the UK, so they can become the UK NFL Franchise.
    As I said, its about the NFL.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I think any plans to move the Jags are longer term. Khan and the city of Jacksonville have spent well over $150M on inprovements to Everbank Field in the last 5 years.

A London franchise may well happen but I don't think it's imminent.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think any plans to move the Jags are longer term. Khan and the city of Jacksonville have spent well over $150M on inprovements to Everbank Field in the last 5 years.

A London franchise may well happen but I don't think it's imminent.
    I feel a little drunk having this conversation with you on a thread that's not our normal home

What they've spent is a drop in the ocean really (when you look at the massive infrastructure investment other franchises have been making recently, in Minnesota, Atlanta, Vegas, LA etc). Even during their excellent season last year, Jacksonville struggled to fill half of their stadium. Florida NFL teams just seem to attract apathy these days.

Given all of the moves that have taken place in recent years with franchises moving, combined with the popularity of the sport here and the increasing sell-out speed year on year, I think Khan has pulled a trigger in making this offer. If it's accepted, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see something go before the NFL AGM at the end of this season proposing that Jacksonville move - that move timeframe might not be immediate (e.g., the following season), but I really do believe he's trying to force the NFL's hand, and if he's successful with this move, I reckon we could see an NFL UK team by the time the 2021 season gets underway.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Will the FA be giving the taxpayer back their share of the money used to build it?
    nope I doubt even grass roots or academy it's meant to be sold to fund will see much of it. will go on jets lunches and new blazers

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Even during their excellent season last year, Jacksonville struggled to fill half of their stadium. Florida NFL teams just seem to attract apathy these days.
    That's because Florida is full of people escaping from New Jersey in the fall/winter time

Sensible decision by the English FA. Just as the SFA are about to make the same mistake as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is an interesting one. I agree fully it is all about the NFL.

Jacksonville started to struggled to sell tickets about 14 years ago when they went into salary cap hell. They fired off their head coach - Tom Coughlin - who then went on to lead the New York (Football) Giants to two Superbowl wins over New England. They "sold" about 20 000 of their 80 000 seats to 'advertisers' and advertising tarpaulins have covered most of their top tier. These only came off this January when they hosted a home play off game for the first time in donkeys years - I don't think the advertisers were too happy. At the start of last season Khan brought Coughlin back in a General Manager type role and they ended up one game short of getting to the Superbowl. If they can upgrade their quarter back they have a chance of staying relevant and selling tickets in Jacksonville for the next few years.

Khan has been committed to Jacksonville playing one game at Wembley as soon as he bought the franchise - I think the deal goes through to 2020. If he does buy Wembley and start to do 'upgrades' on it, i.e. upgrade the suites, corporate hospitality etc etc - the stadium is 11 years old afterall - then that will be a huge signal.

This would leave a few questions: billionaire NFL owners tend to get others to pay part of stadium build costs and refurbishments (hence why they are billioniares!). So will Khan adopt our pink chums' model to get other people to pay for it? Will he tear down the arch and replace it with a glass one? Will he bother with a safety certificate? Will he sell chips? Will he need to put in extra vomitories? Will he change the corporate hospitality suites so they do NOT overlook the pitch? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough Fisherrow Harp's Avatar
    I have often wondered how uk NFL fans would take to an NFL franchise in London/UK. For me its not going to make me jump ship from The Packers, that's pretty entrenched for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherrow Harp View Post
    I have often wondered how uk NFL fans would take to an NFL franchise in London/UK. For me its not going to make me jump ship from The Packers, that's pretty entrenched for me!
    I think Tottenham will be watching this seeing as they have spent quite a lot to ensure that the NFL can play at the new White Hart Lane.

I just despair whenever i see anything to do with the silly money floating about English football. It's madness and i just can't relate to it at all. Like a previous poster said English football is f***ed.

According to the BBC £230,000,000 of public money was used in rebuilding Wembley, from the national lottery, a London public fund and money from central government. If the FA sell Wembley they should be forced to pay that money back .... it cant be ethical to suck up that amount of public money and then profit off the back of it by selling the very asset you used it on and sticking it in your back pocket.

Its infuriating that huge amounts of public money have been given to the London stadium and Wembley and yet Hampden remains a crumbling dump ... its even more infuriating to see the English FA taking the piss.

You could ask the same question of Queens Park, given about two-thirds of Hampden was paid by public money.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    You could ask the same question of Queens Park, given about two-thirds of Hampden was paid by public money.
    Peanuts compared to Wembley and the London stadium, not to mention the Millennium stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    It’s a problem in both sales. The money has to be paid back in both cases which is why the Hampden deal may not happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I can’t get my head around American football. See when a team moves county and changes their name what happens to all their supporters who’ve supported them for years? And do they just pick up tens of thousands of new fans where they’re now playing? What an load of garbage
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Peanuts compared to Wembley and the London stadium, not to mention the Millennium stadium.
    I don’t think the Millenium Stadium was much more than Hampden.

Either way, it depends on how you look at it. About a fifth of Wembley from public funds and they might be about to sell it for more than it cost to redevelop. Two thirds of Hampden from public funds and they might be about to sell it for around 3% of its redevelopment cost.

You'll see England travelling around playing their game, always a moan by many fans having to travel to London for internationals, there are any top stadiums all with large capacities.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I can’t get my head around American football. See when a team moves county and changes their name what happens to all their supporters who’ve supported them for years? And do they just pick up tens of thousands of new fans where they’re now playing? What an load of garbage

They generally move because there is a demand for a pro team, American football isn't like our football re it's fans, college football is more like the equivalent to our football, localised teams and many college games are supported by thousands of fans, Pro football is all about the franchise and tv money etc.