hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Gerrard

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDavidFrancey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Becoming increasingly noticeable that all the English pundits are saying yep it’s a no brainer and all the Scottish ones that he’d have to have no brain to take the job
    Has anyone passed Gerrard a copy of the Rangers song book? He is a Catholic after all.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    As much as I hate the huns I’m gonna fight the corner of my boyhood hero for a minute, so hear me out...

One, most importantly, he’s not gonna have agreed to go there without them giving him certain reassurances on the budget, he’s going to get a war chest to get him started, talking 15-20+ imo, whether that’s done by the books or not, that’s down to The Rangers.

Two, they’re getting the name, Steven gerrard is one of the most respected names in world football and imo one of, or if not, the greatest British player of my generation, them being the first team to give him a senior manager position gets the a lot of publicity and there’s a new grown attraction to rangers for press and players.

Three, he’ll have to get the right back room staff, back room staff is vitally important, that’s why I’m worried about all this Buvac leaving Klopp, what people don’t realise is a lot of the time the back room staff are the real tacticians, the managers job is to manage the players ie man management (something Cathro had none of and Levein has none of) to get players motivated etc, now I know from reading both his biographies that his role as Liverpool captain was basically that, he saved Brendan’s skin on several occasions, when Suarez told Brendan he never wanted to play for him again, it was gerrard to brought them back together, was him who everyone went to for advice etc, he has that bit nailed, plus there’s no chance they won’t respect him, come on, it’s Stevie ****in G, so if he’s get people in with him who know the game and know the Scottish game, he’ll have that experience through his understudies.

So yeah, players will want to play for Stevie G, his connections and name will bring top players. But they can’t expect him to bridge the gap on Celtic in one season, they’ll need to give him time, but he knows the game of football, may have not been through a managers eyes, but you best believe he knows how to win football matches.

Could go pear shaped, but also think it could (sadly) be a pretty smart move from Sevco.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Has anyone passed Gerrard a copy of the Rangers song book? He is a Catholic after all.
    Not that it matters a jot but he ain't and never has been!

Arrogant enough to think he can succeed there and stupid enough to fail. He has my backing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Oh, yeh?

“Raised Catholic, he attended St Michael's Primary School and Cardinal Heenan Catholic High School.”

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDavidFrancey View Post
    Becoming increasingly noticeable that all the English pundits are saying yep it’s a no brainer and all the Scottish ones that he’d have to have no brain to take the job
    So the pundits from both sides of the Border are in agreement.

Oh, yeh?

“Raised Catholic, he attended St Michael's Primary School and Cardinal Heenan Catholic High School.”
    Oh Yeah, I am well aware of where he went to school and wasn't raised a Catholic! Read his book and you will discover why those schools were chosen.😉 Ach well it will the Old Firm Muppets something to argue about.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 30-04-2018 at 09:41 PM.

Oh Yeah, I am well aware of where he went to school and wasn't raised a Catholic! Read his book and you will discover why those schools were chosen.😉 Ach well it will the Old Firm Muppets something to argue about.
    Married in a catholic ceremony, daughter called Lourdes. That’s easily enough for the hun!

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    As much as I hate the huns I’m gonna fight the corner of my boyhood hero for a minute, so hear me out...

One, most importantly, he’s not gonna have agreed to go there without them giving him certain reassurances on the budget, he’s going to get a war chest to get him started, talking 15-20+ imo, whether that’s done by the books or not, that’s down to The Rangers.

Two, they’re getting the name, Steven gerrard is one of the most respected names in world football and imo one of, or if not, the greatest British player of my generation, them being the first team to give him a senior manager position gets the a lot of publicity and there’s a new grown attraction to rangers for press and players.

Three, he’ll have to get the right back room staff, back room staff is vitally important, that’s why I’m worried about all this Buvac leaving Klopp, what people don’t realise is a lot of the time the back room staff are the real tacticians, the managers job is to manage the players ie man management (something Cathro had none of and Levein has none of) to get players motivated etc, now I know from reading both his biographies that his role as Liverpool captain was basically that, he saved Brendan’s skin on several occasions, when Suarez told Brendan he never wanted to play for him again, it was gerrard to brought them back together, was him who everyone went to for advice etc, he has that bit nailed, plus there’s no chance they won’t respect him, come on, it’s Stevie ****in G, so if he’s get people in with him who know the game and know the Scottish game, he’ll have that experience through his understudies.

So yeah, players will want to play for Stevie G, his connections and name will bring top players. But they can’t expect him to bridge the gap on Celtic in one season, they’ll need to give him time, but he knows the game of football, may have not been through a managers eyes, but you best believe he knows how to win football matches.

Could go pear shaped, but also think it could (sadly) be a pretty smart move from Sevco.
    And if all else fails he can show the Rangers players all his Premier League winners medals.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    And if all else fails he can show the Rangers players all his Premier League winners medals.
    Can’t forget that Champions League medal also

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I'm sure he'll manage to slip it into conversation.

I think Gerrard would be nuts to take the job though. The odds are stacked heavily against him succeeding, which will hamper his chances of building a good career in management. The best he can hope for is a solid second place in the league and a couple of cup wins which that won't improve his chances of landing a decent job in England.

He'd be better off starting somewhere like Ipswich and getting them promoted or at least into the playoffs. If he struggles there, then at least he'll have tried his best in a good situation unlike the clusterbleep that is Sevco.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar

Eye watering stuff, feeling emotional.

Fact is it’s a massive risk and ultimately one that will end badly. **** them both.
    Last edited by Dunbar Hibee; 30-04-2018 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I would be very surprised if he hasn't spoken to Brendan Rodgers
    Thought they didn't get on? Well thats according to a gas bag presenter on talksport!

I tend to agree with Kris Boyd, first they go for Derek Mcinnes who knows the Scottish game inside out, then they take a completely different direction with Gerard who, not only knows nothing about the Scottish game, he’s not even been remotely interested in the Scottish game, he’s never been tested as a manager nor an Assistant manager.
    The most he will do is maybe come second, maybe win a cup and none of that will enhance his cv to manage anywhere else in the world.
    He needs to start his career in the lower divisions of England and nowhere else.
    It’ll all end in tears, believe me and when it does, because he’s Gerard, he will get another chance down South, in the lower leagues.

Fat Sally - tried and failed

Magic Hat the next England manager - tried and failed

Pedro the master tactician - tried and failed

Murty the youth coach - car crash

Gerrard the youth coach - massive success? I think not

Rangers are a complete basket case of a club with no direction, infighting and no funds to get anywhere near Celtic. They need a Walter Smith or someone with bags of managerial experience not Steven Gerrard. Gerrard's spent an entire career at a club he was adored. One draw with Partick Thistle up here and he'll be yet another victim of vile abuse. Something he's never experienced while trying to hold together a huge club with unrealistic expectations. Rangers are broken.
    Last edited by SirDavidsNapper; 01-05-2018 at 06:34 AM.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Has he not asked Gary Neville about the difference between a media gig and the hell of management?

Why is he even bothering???

Blog Entries
    Oh, yeh?

Married in a catholic ceremony, daughter called Lourdes. That’s easily enough for the hun!
    All very unimportant and a moot point in the age of the enlightened Hun. He’ll be fine as long as he succeeds. If not, however ..........

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I'm sure others have raised the same point but I can't see what he has to gain. He surely isn't getting paid more money than he is at Liverpool and Sky, while he's a Liverpool youth coach championship teams in England will take a chance on him. If he doesn't run Celtic close for the title he's failed up here in most people's eyes, if he doesn't finish 2nd he's done. Past experience has shown that the current club will throw a manager to the wolves before facing up to their own short comings and the Scottish press will ably assist

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMentalHibees View Post
    Arrogant enough to think he can succeed there and stupid enough to fail. He has my backing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No championship medals and used to mixing with gangsters. Ideal f*or the huns. Can't wait for the after match interviews
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 01-05-2018 at 07:10 AM.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I've seen a few here mention Gerrard as a great motivator, now I don't watch a huge amount of English football but any time I've seen him he comes across a bit dour. Is he genuinely known for being a motivational person or is he just a great talent who played for good and fairly successful teams?

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar

Sorry but this fails at the first premiss and then gets worse

A passing knowledge of the club shows they have no cash but will talk like they do. Plus they need a lot of cash to catch Celtic who are accumulating the benefits of being top dog

Bottom line is they are swapping one youth coach for another. At best it will take time. He will not be given that. Rangers are broken, from top to bottom. Gerrard cannot fix that position, just make it more newsworthy. Part of the story will be broken promises by the board. Happy to watch that and the slobbering media attention but not good for Gerrard

Blog Entries
    I hope Gerrard keeps them hanging on for as long as possible. Until Murty is sacked and they confirm Gerrard’s appointment, they will become more and more vulnerable for the last three matches. Murty’s presence will keep the dressing room divided and the fans so apoplectic that they’ll turn on the team even more than they have in the last 48 hours. Sacking Murty at 2pm on Sunday and getting a new caretaker might have given the team the boost that a new face can bring. I think they’ve left it too late and could limp to the finishing line.

@hibs.net private member therealgavmac's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No, he’s not

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by therealgavmac View Post
    No, he’s not
    We’ve already had this conversation on the last page.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I've seen a few here mention Gerrard as a great motivator, now I don't watch a huge amount of English football but any time I've seen him he comes across a bit dour. Is he genuinely known for being a motivational person or is he just a great talent who played for good and fairly successful teams?
    I'm the same as you. Don't watch much English football but i remember the "don't let it slip" motivational speech when they only had the league to lose. That worked well

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    I'm the same as you. Don't watch much English football but i remember the "don't let it slip" motivational speech when they only had the league to lose. That worked well
    Who knows if he is the Messiah they are hoping for? He might go the distance but,at worst, I think his reputation as a player will gee up the players for the first part of the season and a new false dawn might happen.

@hibs.net private member
    waiting for a statement 😂😂😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Who knows if he is the Messiah they are hoping for? He might go the distance but,at worst, I think his reputation as a player will gee up the players for the first part of the season and a new false dawn might happen.
    Impossible to know if he will be good in the long term. He dragged Liverpool to a European Cup from 3-0 down more or less single handed but also was captain of a team that bottled the league. Anyway, history is littered with inspirational players who became ***** managers.

What's a cast iron certainty, imo, is that unless the New Huns strike gold under Ibrox, he's going to finish miles behind Celtc. I think they'd accept improvement next year. So conceivably he could finish a clear 2nd and avoid total humiliation in the games v Celtc and escape back down south with reputation intact but it's a hell of a gamble. The English pundits who view the New Huns as an easy starter option compared to a Championship team are laughably ill informed.

Quote Originally Posted by therealgavmac View Post
    No, he’s not
    Don’t start that again!

Don’t start that again!
    Why not, Gerrard said it himself.