hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Category a games policing

I know I am going to take a doing on here for posting this.

On Friday at approx 1630 pm I was passing the ticket office and was approached by six well dressed men aged about 55-60 and was asked if I could help them purchase tickets for the Celtic game. They explained that they were six Danish business men on holiday and would like to take in some football.One was a Copenhagen fan and the others all supported minor teams. I explained that a few years ago we had a close run thing with Brondby who are currently on course to win the Championship.

I approached the Ticket Office and explained I would like to purchase six briefs for my danish friends and was told in no uncertain terms this was not happening and if anything did it would be my ST that would be at risk.

It was difficult trying to explain to these tourists Category A in Scotland security issues etc. My friend suggested that they go to Ainslie Park and watch Edinburgh City.

I feel that these guys were a genuine case they missed out on a great game of football a great advert for the SPL and the club missed out on important revenue especially with the benefit of hindsight seeing the empty seats in our end and hearing stories of Celtic fans in our end.

I was just wondering what my fellow posters think? Should we make exceptions for special cases or should it be black and white? Should we also weed out those fans that gave up their tickets to Celtic supporting friends and family members?

GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was just wondering what my fellow posters think? Should we make exceptions for special cases or should it be black and white? Should we also weed out those fans that gave up their tickets to Celtic supporting friends and family members?

GGTTH
    There are already exceptions for special cases, in that the ticket office uses it's own judgement when selling cat A tickets - folk who don't happen to have the requisite 'bought tickets for some game before the start of the season' qualification are still able to buy in person or over the phone if there's some evidence that they're a genuine Hibs fan (went to a couple of games earlier that season, is a pretty good indicator). A case of some bloke openly buying six tickets for complete strangers is probably a bit too far from the Ticket Office's comfort zone for them to let it pass, especially since last Saturday was a presumptive special occasion and Celtic fans would have been extra desperate to attend.

Also, given the situation, it could be that the six Danish guys had been hovering around the Ticket Office for a while and had been knocked back earlier that day.
    Last edited by Aim Here; 24-04-2018 at 02:05 PM.

"Hello. My name is Sven. My 5 fellow Danish businessmen and I wish to purchase tickets for a game of football, so we would."

Only the two kickings? No bad only been half an hour!

Testimonial Due
    It's an interesting situation. When I travel, I always try to go to a game. I've been to good games in Spain, Germany and Croatia in recent years and found it fairly easy to buy tickets either in advance or on the day. We're lucky at the moment to have a lot of demand for tickets but, in a tourist town like Edinburgh, it would be nice to have a system where visitors to the city could come and watch the capital's top team.

this is exactly the reason these rules are put in place to stop entry to Cat A games by opposing support or joe bloggs off the street

Im not doubting your friends were not really what they said they were but that game was set up for Celtic to win the league at our ground.

The ticket office staff are warned to expect all the tricks in the book on big occasions like this and try to avert any explosive situations happening.

This is why the fan to fan ticket exchange was set up so seats that wont be used are given to those looking for tickets but are also on our database.

The empty seats we saw would have been season tickets holders not able to use their ticket but not handing it over to someone else. So the club would already have their revenue from the season ticket holder.

if some Celtic supporters got into our end of the ground then they must have had help from people on the database?

After that result i bet they wish they hadnt bothered!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan62 View Post
    It's an interesting situation. When I travel, I always try to go to a game. I've been to good games in Spain, Germany and Croatia in recent years and found it fairly easy to buy tickets either in advance or on the day. We're lucky at the moment to have a lot of demand for tickets but, in a tourist town like Edinburgh, it would be nice to have a system where visitors to the city could come and watch the capital's top team.
    Might help if we had a bit of decent advertising at Waverley and the airport to get the attention of potential tourist walk-ups.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    I think it’s perfectly acceptable for tourists to be able to buy tickets and I’d expect the same decency when I’m in other countries, see no issue with it at all especially if they are obviously foreign and don’t have a Glasgow accent!

It’s not like there wasn’t any Celtic fans in our end, I met one within 30 seconds of arriving in the stand sitting in one of his mates season ticket seats.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee View Post
    I think it’s perfectly acceptable for tourists to be able to buy tickets and I’d expect the same decency when I’m in other countries, see no issue with it at all especially if they are obviously foreign and don’t have a Glasgow accent!

It’s not like there wasn’t any Celtic fans in our end, I met one within 30 seconds of arriving in the stand sitting in one of his mates season ticket seats.
    Was it the smell or the gap-toothed grin that gave him away?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    "Hello. My name is Sven. My 5 fellow Danish businessmen and I wish to purchase tickets for a game of football, so we would."
    😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    😂😂😂
    Laugh if you will but going forward this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

On Friday at approx 1630 pm I was passing the ticket office and was approached by six well dressed men aged about 55-60 and was asked if I could help them purchase tickets for the Celtic game. They explained that they were six Danish business men on holiday and would like to take in some football.One was a Copenhagen fan and the others all supported minor teams. I explained that a few years ago we had a close run thing with Brondby who are currently on course to win the Championship.

I approached the Ticket Office and explained I would like to purchase six briefs for my danish friends and was told in no uncertain terms this was not happening and if anything did it would be my ST that would be at risk.

It was difficult trying to explain to these tourists Category A in Scotland security issues etc. My friend suggested that they go to Ainslie Park and watch Edinburgh City.

I feel that these guys were a genuine case they missed out on a great game of football a great advert for the SPL and the club missed out on important revenue especially with the benefit of hindsight seeing the empty seats in our end and hearing stories of Celtic fans in our end.

GGTTH
    Why didn't you just buy the tickets without explaining who they were for?

I thought that if you were on the database you could buy as many tickets as you wanted to (as long as they are available) and that you don't even have to supply the details of all the guys your buying for if you don't want and that they don't even need to be on the database

*most I've ever bought is 2 tickets so no idea if that's true or not, just think it is or was.*

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Why didn't you just buy the tickets without explaining who they were for?
    Good question I felt honesty might be the best policy but as someone has already pointed out the girl seemed to know who they were for as they had been hanging about for a while. With hindsight I suppose I could have just gone on eticketing and requested six tickets and picked them up in the morning. The whole point is these guys were genuine tourists with foreign accents interested in football.We should have a system to allow genuine tourists the opportunity to view Category A games perhaps sight of a passport or something.Perhaps I expected the ticket office girl to speak to them and make a judgement call but it would appear she had already done that.No way just was not happening but to me it was a terrible shame.Some might say move on but I feel this situation will happen again as we move into August.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Good question I felt honesty might be the best policy but as someone has already pointed out the girl seemed to know who they were for as they had been hanging about for a while. With hindsight I suppose I could have just gone on eticketing and requested six tickets and picked them up in the morning. The whole point is these guys were genuine tourists with foreign accents interested in football.We should have a system to allow genuine tourists the opportunity to view Category A games perhaps sight of a passport or something.Perhaps I expected the ticket office girl to speak to them and make a judgement call but it would appear she had already done that.No way just was not happening but to me it was a terrible shame.Some might say move on but I feel this situation will happen again as we move into August.
    The problem I see is it is discriminatory.

So Sven and his Swedish mates get in, but anyone else with a Glasgow (or Edinburgh for that matter) accent doesn’t.

Sounds like Hibs would get into bother with that.

I get your thought, just don’t know how to rectify it.

I presume without shouting about it, the managements decision is final and they can let who they want in. Sven et al, no problemo. 6 Weedgies - bolt!

J

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KerPlunk View Post
    Might help if we had a bit of decent advertising at Waverley and the airport to get the attention of potential tourist walk-ups.
    I raised this with the fans reps last year about advertising at the airport and I was told it had been looked into but it was too expensive, the airport wanted something like 20k a month for Hibs to advertise there.

Maybe we could have a (small) neutral area, you know with restricted views? Seriously though, there's bound to be less popular areas that only shift in sell-out games that could be utilised

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    I bought tickets for 2 spanish students before the derby with Leigh's disallowed "goal" in 2013. They'd been turned away at the ticket office window but the girl serving had no problem with us buying for them. I guess they knew it was genuine but without a client ref they couldn't issue tickets but were happy for someone to step in and do so.

It sounds like they've either changed their policy or had their doubts about whether the guys you spoke to were genuine and not Celtc fans eager to enjoy a title party

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I’m sure they’ll understand, especially the Copenhagen fan. Have you seen the shenanigans at their Derby with Brondby?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

GGTTH
    Good on you for trying to help fellow fans. I once did something similar for two guests who approached me when I was at the Caley hotel. It was also a Celtic game, they were keen to go and had no chance of tickets until I stepped in and bought on client reference number. Sad state of affairs when folk on holiday in any city can't enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Good on you for trying to help fellow fans. I once did something similar for two guests who approached me when I was at the Caley hotel. It was also a Celtic game, they were keen to go and had no chance of tickets until I stepped in and bought on client reference number. Sad state of affairs when folk on holiday in any city can't enjoy the game.
    Cheers mate appreciate that.Only trying to help.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Laugh if you will but going forward this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.
    Heel boy, heel!

Just a joke mate, lighten up!

FWIW it's a shame they couldn't get tickets, there were a few empty seats that could have been filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Heel boy, heel!

Just a joke mate, lighten up!

FWIW it's a shame they couldn't get tickets, there were a few empty seats that could have been filled.
    No worries Jonesy only trying to draw attention to the seriousness of the situation.

You are correct the game was not a sell out and lots of Celtic in our end. Worrying!

Coaching Staff
    Guess the ticket office has to be careful.

On the Bears Den in Rangers Media today there is a Hun with thousands of posts saying he bought 6 tickets in the Hibs end, to get around the ticketing allocation cut back.

Could be bravado, but could also be real'

I couldn't care less. If 6 random blokes from Denmark missing a game means no Celtic fans or whatever get into the Hibs end then good!

Whatever anyone says, the windfall from tourists would and probably is so little that it isn't even worth worrying about. Grow our hard-core fan base - and the club has done a fantastic job of that over the last few years.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    I had the same issue. 4 guys from the Ivory Coast, definitely genuine as they were carrying Ivory Coast flags and wearing traditional tribal hooped shepherd outfits. Fascinating guys, strange accents though, sounded almost Irish. They were historians, explained to me how Ivory Coast had a lot of Irish settlers which explained the accents, Guiness hats and leprechaun beards they were wearing. They knew a hell of a lot about the IRA for some reason, the troubles must have been big news in Africa.

They didn't seem to have enjoyed the game much by the end though?

Ticket office can't be too careful, i ended up sat next to a bunch of original rangers fans back when they won the league at ER - not a pleasant experience.
    Last edited by barcahibs; 25-04-2018 at 10:20 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm not sure this is really a big issue - a few people have suggested that Hibs take a common sense approach when tourists are trying to buy tickets for Cat A games. However I can understand why they'd have taken a hard line on this particular game with the league title at stake and knowing that Celtic supporters would be trying to infiltrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I'm not sure this is really a big issue - a few people have suggested that Hibs take a common sense approach when tourists are trying to buy tickets for Cat A games. However I can understand why they'd have taken a hard line on this particular game with the league title at stake and knowing that Celtic supporters would be trying to infiltrate.
    Unfortunately in light of recent developments from a different point of view the Ticket Office will be under increasing pressure from blue noses trying to obtain our tickets so will be on high alert.

Unfortunately in light of recent developments from a different point of view the Ticket Office will be under increasing pressure from blue noses trying to obtain our tickets so will be on high alert.
    Sure; but since actual Hibs fans are scarfing up the tickets like nobody's business, knocking back tourists and neutrals as well as opposing fans is a fair outcome.

It would be more annoying when Cat A restrictions stop genuine neutrals from getting to see a game where the demand from Hibs fans isn't so high, though the current wave of enthusiasm will likely wear off someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post
    Sure; but since actual Hibs fans are scarfing up the tickets like nobody's business, knocking back tourists and neutrals as well as opposing fans is a fair outcome.

It would be more annoying when Cat A restrictions stop genuine neutrals from getting to see a game where the demand from Hibs fans isn't so high, though the current wave of enthusiasm will likely wear off someday.
    Yeah! that was my original point that genuine tourists (neutrals) were in my opinion unfairly knocked back especially when seats were available and as it transpired Celtic were in our end despite the best efforts of the Ticket Office.