hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent!

Was anyone on here at this game?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...play-1-4727057

I was too young to attend this but it sounds like a great performance and adds to the sense that today's squad are perhaps the best since those Tornado days.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I was too young to attend this but it sounds like a great performance and adds to the sense that today's squad are perhaps the best since those Tornado days.
    I wasn't there but sounds a great performance considering Rangers won the cup winners cup two weeks later.

Wasn't at the game but remember being allowed to stay up very late to watch the highlights which seemed to be a never ending procession towards the Rangers goal being stopped by Hibs players being kicked. Despite winning the Cup Winners Cup that Rangers team always struggled against Hibs. A few months later we beat them 3-0 at ER in teh semi of the Dryborough Cup and 3 flattered them.

I was at the first game but not the replay.

That article was so indicative of how it was back then.

Hibs dominant, Rangers kicking, stonewall penalties not given against the queens 11.

Testimonial Due

I was there. Hibs supporters bus from Hawick. Today’s team good but the Tornadoes were magical.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    I was there as a young 11 year old, great times but the trouble that evening was mental

I wasn't there but was at the final which we lost, by a few goals, to Celtic. I was also at the League Cup Final in December that year when we got revenge.

My dad took me all over Scotland to away games (including Parkhead) and we never missed home games, but he would never take me to Rangers in Glasgow.

He went with my uncles, I watched late night highlights and can still remember the unbelievable dominance we had over them that night and plenty other games to come.

Went to the 6-1 final. Was utterly heartbroken.

But a lot happier a couple months later when we did them 5-3 in the incredible Dryborough Final - and then, a few months after that another Final in December, the greatest day of my football life before 21/5/16 came along.

Then, 0-7 a few weeks after that.! What an unbelievable 12 months 1972 - 73 was.!!!

Left by mutual consent!

I just posted this match-report on Peter Hoffman's FB page yesterday - is that where you got it from ?. Although I was at this game, I don't remember much about it (I'd be 11/12) but I do remember, on leaving Hampden, of having the exact same feeling that I get today when we gub 'Satan's 11' - extreme satisfaction & pleasure, and that once again, we'd done Scottish Football a favour !. It was the usual game against them - their 11 players + 1 referee against Hibs ! For younger Hibees who might mistakenly believe that the bias shown towards Rangers these days by Scottish refs/officials is a recent thing -

'Referee Webster appeared to have different ideas from anyone else as to what constituted a penalty ...............'

- even my late Grand-dad told me that the 'Huns and dodgy-refs' went on in his day, too !. What I do remember most about games V the Huns in the 70's was that they were usually refereed by Bobby Davidson of Airdrie - a 'referee' (Hun, mason, orange-lodger etc, etc) that makes Craig Thomson look extremely competent !

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Was at the first game please don’t mention the final. We got our revenge though. Awesome team great to watch. Games against the old Rangers were always tasty. We were the better footballing side so they always reverted to the heavy handed stuff or trying to wynd up wee Mickey Edwards trying to get him sent off.John Blackley once told the story how at ER he went through Derek Parlane from behind and while he was getting treatment John Greig said to him He’ll be back! and he replied Aye, and I’ll be here waiting! Not a game for shrinking violets.It was just our bad luck that we had the Tornadoes at the same time as Jock Steins Celtic.

Yes i was at this game and the final against Celtic.

We played some unbelieveable football in those days which was always a joy to watch.

Pat Stanton was at his best as usual and lead his team by example.

To compare the present team with the Tornadoes is somewhat unjust as far as i am concerned. The Tornadoes were the best footballing side i have ever seen
    and that takes todays team into context too.

We are good just now but the Tornadoes were just something else to behold. It would be nice i we could keep the present team together and maybe they will become
    as near to the Tornadoes as anyone......

Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post
    Yes i was at this game and the final against Celtic.

We played some unbelieveable football in those days which was always a joy to watch.

Pat Stanton was at his best as usual and lead his team by example.

To compare the present team with the Tornadoes is somewhat unjust as far as i am concerned. The Tornadoes were the best footballing side i have ever seen
    and that takes todays team into context too.

We are good just now but the Tornadoes were just something else to behold. It would be nice i we could keep the present team together and maybe they will become
    as near to the Tornadoes as anyone......
    With all due respect to the present team they could not hold a candle to Turnbulls Tornadoes. A well oiled green machine. The best brand of football the worlds ever seen.

I was at the first game on the previous Saturday , my first trip to Hampden I think . 76,000 crowd , probably " only " about 60,000 at replay . Crowds in those days were huge . Seem to remember Celtic and Rangers playing home European semis on the same night ( unthinkable now ) with 60,000 at each match . We`d lost to Rangers in a replay at the same stage the season before so was big to win in 1972 and then again in semis of Drybrough and League cups

First Team Breakthrough Cheshire Hibby's Avatar
    I was at both games and if memory serves correctly, as the clock ticked down to full time, the Rangers end emptied and in those days, the big double gates at the bottom of the stairways were opened about 15 to 20 minutes from the end of the match. This allowed the Rangers fans who had deserted their end to re-enter the stadium easily and get into the east end where the bulk of the Hibs fans were located. Bottles and cans rained down on the Hibs supporters as they did at most matches with Rangers in those days, followed by a charge down the terrace. Hibs fans spilled over on to the pitch as a result. As a 12 year old, I remember jumping the wall and being stood behind the goal nets watching the ensuing chaos unfold on the terraces.

That Hibs team were simply superb and even though we lost the final (Dixie Deans hat trick) that team went on to win the Dryborough Cup and then the League Cup later in the year, winning the first major domestic cup competition for the club in 70 years. Sir Pat was majestic along with the other Tornadoes. Great memories. Anyone else recall the events above.

Yep, I was there and distinctly remember having to run the gauntlet through the Hun hordes after the game.
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Yep, I was there and distinctly remember having to run the gauntlet through the Hun hordes after the game.
    Was at the first game as a 12 year old and can distinctly remember on leaving the stadium was grabbed by the collar by one of the Hun horde and asked to speak.I had the presence of mind to put on a fake weegie accent by the way. Probably one of the reasons I did not attend the replay that and the late kick off and probably also zapping all of my parents spare dough.As usual no glasgow gestapo to be seen any where.

Remember at the Final left at 4-1 as fighting started in the Rangers end as Celtic fans in our end. I was a lone 12 old travelling with the Carlton Branch parked in the Kings Park and give the boys their due they waited for the wee man who was sat up front beside the driver on the way through. Happy days.