hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pie stands

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Pie stands

One for the fans reps maybe..

I was at Wembley last week and they have numerous (possibly even the majority) of the pie stands have card only terminals.

Because of this, the queues were so much quicker than Easter Road. Would it be feasible at ER to get a couple of contactless kiosks to speed things up a bit? You’re literally taking out half the work for the staff and should mean that you can get people served twice as fast. Maybe not even a card machine at these kiosks, but maybe the contactless pad sort of thing that they have on the London Underground?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Just for nostalgic reasons I think we should reintroduce the young lads walking round the track selling snacks and refreshments. Those were the days. At least the kiosk effectively came to the queue 🤗

First Team Breakthrough Bob1875's Avatar
    To think you can’t even use your card inside Easter Road just now. Behind the times! Think it can be quite pricey to use card machines though which may put Hibs off.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Could have a pie only contactless express queue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I was at Wembley last week and they have numerous (possibly even the majority) of the pie stands have card only terminals.

Because of this, the queues were so much quicker than Easter Road. Would it be feasible at ER to get a couple of contactless kiosks to speed things up a bit? You’re literally taking out half the work for the staff and should mean that you can get people served twice as fast. Maybe not even a card machine at these kiosks, but maybe the contactless pad sort of thing that they have on the London Underground?
    On the face of things I would agree with that however....

1) If the catering is a concession then it would be their call if the investment would be worth it.
    2) Whomever holds the concession may prefer to deal in cash for the usual reasons.

It may well be quicker if the people that work I these kiosks could actually add three numbers together or at least be able to type them into a till more quickly than they currently do.

However, before they consider this perhaps they should look at the quality, or lack of quality, of the goods on sale.

Does anyone have any idea (I don’t) how much 50 or so state of the art tills which automatically link to a card machine would cost? Would improve the match day experience no end!

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    I'm good friends with the guy that supplies the kiosks to Wembley and also Twickenham and many more besides (including hot dog stands on the esplanade at the tattoo). Would be more than happy to pass on details of their various food and ticket/merchandise pop up units to anyone on the fan group /Hibs if it is of interest. He is a wolves fan so in a very good mood at the moment ! Plus he has visited ER with me on a couple of occasions and was at the League Cup final against Ross County and watched THE cup final with me, so there is a Hibs connection.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob1875 View Post
    To think you can’t even use your card inside Easter Road just now. Behind the times! Think it can be quite pricey to use card machines though which may put Hibs off.
    They used to be pricey but now it's pennies to businesses. You can get a card reader in electronic stores and they just attach to tablets. I have no idea why we don't have something in place by now.

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Getting a HT pie without queuing would certainly be a dream come true.

Except, why bother with the tills - just order and pay for your food on the phone and collect it at HT. It would incur credit card/Paypal costs, sure, but turnover would increase massively IMO.

Now to fix the queues in the lavvies.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    They used to be pricey but now it's pennies to businesses. You can get a card reader in electronic stores and they just attach to tablets. I have no idea why we don't have something in place by now.
    "We" don't run the stands, though. That's not our call.

The club would only be interested to the extent that the "experience" of the fans was affected.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    "We" don't run the stands, though. That's not our call.

The club would only be interested to the extent that the "experience" of the fans was affected.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    I understand that but in this day and age when giving out the contracts it should have been one of the first requirements we asked to ensure there was quick service in the limited time available.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    To me its much more about the quality of the pies rather than the means of paying for them!

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Pie dispensing machine - now your talking.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Can't get my head around how a pie can be cold before the game starts. It was a nice grey colour as well. Catering in general is pretty rank.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

Would make sense. If taxi's and market stalls have chip and pin/contact-less you think it would be easy enough for football stadium.

On the subject of pie stands i know they've got to make a profit but 4 quid for 2 bottles of water is ripping the pish a bit!

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Pie dispensing machine - now your talking.
    Virtual pies, similar taste and none of the queues or calories

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob1875 View Post
    The long run costs would offset that though - most of the time if I went to the kiosks at ER in the west upper I'd be there for the majority of half time. I bet more people would go if you could speed up the service times.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Could have a pie only contactless express queue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or we could have a ‘dial a pie’ system like hearts had a few years ago & get your pies delivered to your seat 😁

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-21640720

From 2013
    Hearts fans are being given the chance to jump the pie queue - by placing orders through their smartphones.
    The club has developed a mobile app that allows supporters to place orders and have food and drink delivered to their seat.
    It said its Tynecastle stadium would be the first in the UK to provide such as service.
    Some 3,000 fans can use the app during Saturday's match with Motherwell.
    A statement on the Scottish Premier League club's website said: "Supporters seated in the upper sections of the Wheatfield Stand will have the unique opportunity to use their Android or iOS smartphones to skip the queues and have their food delivered direct to their seats, ensuring that they don't miss a minute of the action on the pitch.
    "Following this initial deployment, it will then be rolled out to other areas of the stadium throughout the remainder of the season."
    The new app has been developed along with catering partner Saltire Hospitality and mobile technology company QikServe.
    Hearts managing director David Southern said: "We are delighted to be the first football club in Britain to use mobile technology in this way to give our supporters more flexibility in the way they access concessions during a match."
    Last edited by MSK; 23-04-2018 at 09:45 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    To ease some of the queues we could have one or two of the catering team walk around at HT with the hot bag things like they do at Hampden where they sell Pies only.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Why don't they have a single queue for pies only at say, £2 each so it would cut down on time counting out change. They would serve people twice as quick.
    Maybe that's too sensible an idea?

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Why don't they have a single queue for pies only at say, £2 each so it would cut down on time counting out change. They would serve people twice as quick.
    This would be a simple solution - though most get a drink with it.

Tea and coffee only queue ?

@hibs.net private member
    Put the next tea / coffee / bovril on each time they sell one instead of waiting for it while they're serving you. It's not as if it's going to go cold in the 60 seconds between punters.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    There was a pop up stall for a while in the East that only sold pies. I’m in West these days, so not sure if that is still the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    Does anyone have any idea (I don’t) how much 50 or so state of the art tills which automatically link to a card machine would cost? Would improve the match day experience no end!
    It’s not always the cost of the hardware that’s the problem but the charges the banks charge.

Quote Originally Posted by telford hibbee View Post
    It’s not always the cost of the hardware that’s the problem but the charges the banks charge.
    Offset by the cost of counting the cash, bagging it, storing it, arranging Loomis/G4S to collect and a cost per bag by the Bank to process.

I reckon the cost involved to install the terminals/pads/or similar, to be used only 19 times a year (minimum), would not be cost effective.
    As an analogy comparison. Imagine if you had the full Sky TV package installed at say £80 per month on a 12 month min contract and the be told you can only watch it 19 days in a year. Maybe not the best comparison but hopefully you can see where I’m coming from.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    I reckon the cost involved to install the terminals/pads/or similar, to be used only 19 times a year (minimum), would not be cost effective.
    As an analogy comparison. Imagine if you had the full Sky TV package installed at say £80 per month on a 12 month min contract and the be told you can only watch it 19 days in a year. Maybe not the best comparison but hopefully you can see where I’m coming from.
    That's true.

@hibs.net private member thebakerboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Or we could have a ‘dial a pie’ system like hearts had a few years ago & get your pies delivered to your seat 😁

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-21640720

From 2013
    Hearts fans are being given the chance to jump the pie queue - by placing orders through their smartphones.
    The club has developed a mobile app that allows supporters to place orders and have food and drink delivered to their seat.
    It said its Tynecastle stadium would be the first in the UK to provide such as service.
    Some 3,000 fans can use the app during Saturday's match with Motherwell.
    A statement on the Scottish Premier League club's website said: "Supporters seated in the upper sections of the Wheatfield Stand will have the unique opportunity to use their Android or iOS smartphones to skip the queues and have their food delivered direct to their seats, ensuring that they don't miss a minute of the action on the pitch.
    "Following this initial deployment, it will then be rolled out to other areas of the stadium throughout the remainder of the season."
    The new app has been developed along with catering partner Saltire Hospitality and mobile technology company QikServe.
    Hearts managing director David Southern said: "We are delighted to be the first football club in Britain to use mobile technology in this way to give our supporters more flexibility in the way they access concessions during a match."
    To do this the club would have to install a wifi system that allowed phones to work in the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    There was a pop up stall for a while in the East that only sold pies. I’m in West these days, so not sure if that is still the case?
    There was a pop up stall in the east selling just match programs but I still managed to queue for 15 minutes for pies for me and my brother.

In a London Pub at Tower Hill after the marathon yesterday I was the only one waving a note at the bar staff.

EVERYONE was paying by card. Mind at the prices they were charging I'm not surprised.