hibs.net Messageboard

Thinking back...

Just thinking, if we hadn’t dropped these silly points what could we have achieved?

Hamilton 3pts
    Motherwell 2pts
    Celtic 2pts
    St Johnstone 2pts
    Dundee 2pts
    Rangers 3pts - How they won that game ?!?
    Kilmarnock 2pts

I know it’s all IF’s & BUTS...

Even half the 16 points above and 2nd place would have been ours!
    Anyway, we have done fantastic this season. Well done the Hibees 👏🇳🇬

2. Log in to remove the advert

Oh and 3 points against the maroon baboons with our goal that never was!! 😡

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SHOCKER that....

Just thinking, if we hadn’t dropped these silly points what could we have achieved?

Hamilton 3pts
    Motherwell 2pts
    Celtic 2pts
    St Johnstone 2pts
    Dundee 2pts
    Kilmarnock 2pts

Anyway, we have done fantastic this season. Well done the Hibees 👏🇳🇬
    I get where you're coming from but I'd imagine Aberdeen and Sevco would also want some points back for their if's and buts.
    Also, we're probably wearing green tinted spectacles about a few we got away with maybe.

Regardless, cracking performance this season the fact that it was only just before the split that we were mathematically out the league is quite impressive.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Ross County too

First Team Breakthrough
    That one at home to the Huns in December still rankles with me.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    As far as i can remember, the home loss to hamilton was the only match that we didn't deserve to take anything from.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    As far as i can remember, the home loss to hamilton was the only match that we didn't deserve to take anything from.
    Aberdeen away

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    Aberdeen away
    ...ah yeah.

Aberdeen at home the 0-1 didn’t think we played well that day, I think we played stokes as a lone striker that day tho

St.Johnstone at home. Thought we'd sneaked a point with Stokesy's penalty...

We would have been challenging for the league if we had Kamberi, McLaren and Allan in from the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Aberdeen at home the 0-1 didn’t think we played well that day, I think we played stokes as a lone striker that day tho
    Could have gone either way though. Wasn't an awful effort.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Definitely didn't deserve to lose that one. Tight game but we shaded it.

the other Celtic game at ER in December though, really should have been a defeat. Even though we were all gutted not to win it at the end when their keeper spilt the ball straight to Shaw, we barely made it into their half until after the hour mark. By which time they could and should have been out of sight.
    Last edited by Pagan Hibernia; 22-04-2018 at 10:05 PM.

I know it feels like it because we were 2 up but both the Motherwell and Killie 2-2s werent unlucky. Both those teams stormed back and played their way into it. I think those draws were fair.
    Still.wonderful season.
    Wonder what the points gap over hearts will be and how long its been since that kind of gap?

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    I know it feels like it because we were 2 up but both the Motherwell and Killie 2-2s werent unlucky. Both those teams stormed back and played their way into it. I think those draws were fair.
    Still.wonderful season.
    Wonder what the points gap over hearts will be and how long its been since that kind of gap?
    i predicted around October/November time that we’d finish 25 points ahead of them. It may not be that many but I don’t think it’ll be too far off

@hibs.net private member
    Inexplicable refereeing decisions have cost us deer, including relegation in the past. If we finish fourth but less than 2 points behind second place, that single piece of incompetence will have cost us minimum £500k and a pop at Europ and the financial benefits that brings. Do the authorities give a flying one? Not a chance.

Left by mutual consent!

Hamilton 3pts
    Motherwell 2pts
    Celtic 2pts
    St Johnstone 2pts
    Dundee 2pts
    Kilmarnock 2pts

Anyway, we have done fantastic this season. Well done the Hibees ������

Tam McManus's column in today's Herald kinda backs up your opinion - great article and what a headline -
    (Apologies if posted elsewhere)

Tam McManus: Hibernian could be challenging Celtic for league title

What a season it has been so far for the Hibernian fans.
    Sitting three points off second place and a whopping 16 points ahead of fiercest rivals Hearts, it has been a dream return to the Premiership for the Hibees.
    They also got to witness an absolutely outstanding performance from their team at the weekend to turn Celtic’s potential title party into a damp squib. They tore into the Champions from the very first whistle in a display full of energy, intensity and quality.
    Read more: Neil Lennon: Warning Hibernian not to play like Rangers helped us beat Celtic
    Hibs thoroughly deserved to beat Celtic on the day and the tactics employed by Neil Lennon worked a treat. The high press which has been shown by Hearts and a few others as the best way to beat Celtic was executed superbly and Hibs had the fitness and legs to see it all the way to the end.
    They could have wilted when Celtic scored late but this is not the Hibs of old. This is a steely side which represents the man in charge of them.
    Neil started with two main strikers in Florian Kamberi and Jamie Maclaren and both have been a revelation since signing in January. Kamberi has actually yet to play on a losing side as a Hibs player. That shows the form the Leith men have been in.
    He has given Neil Lennon’s team a different dimension up front as he holds the ball up superbly and let’s Maclaren run the channels to play off him. He has been a brilliant find by the scouting team at Easter Road.

Before that with Anthony Stokes and Simon Murray it was something they just never had. They didn’t play as a pair and Stokes in particular was a bitter disappointment. It was a really jittery time in the final hours of the January transfer window for the Hibs faithful but Lennon came up trumps with his recruitment. The Easter Road outfit emerged a far stronger team and squad when it closed shut.

Before the January window, Hibs should have been at least eight to 10 points better off in the Premiership but an inability to kill teams off and take chances really cost them dearly.

I have no doubt that if Hibs had the current front two plus Scott Allan from the start of the season, not only would they be sitting in a comfortable second place but would be giving Celtic a run for the title. Hibs on current form are the the best team in the country behind Celtic, and actually gave them a lesson at the weekend.
    The credit has to go to the players of course as they win or lose you matches in the games but the job Lennon has done cannot be underestimated. Let’s not forget that Hibs have just come up from the Championship and a top-six position would have been seen as a successful season by a lot of Hibs fans.

But not Lennon.
    That wouldn’t have been anywhere near good enough for him. Lenny has never settled for fine or okay in his career as a player or a manager. His sights were set on far higher than that. And that is precisely why Hibs are within touching distance of an incredible runners-up spot in the league.
    Just under a year ago when the men from Edinburgh lost 3-2 to Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup semi-final, Lennon was the subject of a lot of s******s in the press room at Hampden and around the country when he claimed post match that Hibs were “the second-best team in the country”.
    They had just lost to a really consistent Aberdeen side under Derek McInnes who were proven as the next best behind Celtic for a number of seasons. Lennon still had to come up into the Premiership and prove week in, week out that both he and Hibs could walk the walk.
    But fast forward a year and just look at were Hibs sit. Just three points separate them Aberdeen and Rangers. Both clubs who will have far bigger budgets than Hibs, in particular Rangers. With just four matches left Neil Lennon has a chance to prove his prophecy last year spot on.
    The confidence that the Hibs players will have garnered from that pulsating win over Celtic on Saturday can catapult them to that coveted runner-up spot. With it will be confirmation that Hibs are back.
    And Lennon would surely pick up the manager of the year alongside it

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I don't really understand these points, every team doesn't take all of their chances.

There was a piece somewhere else online today listing the times rangers didn't kill a game off and how they could have been above Celtic if they had. An over enthusiastic Ross county fan could claim it too.