hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Wild camping

@hibs.net private member ano hibby's Avatar

Wild camping

Looking for some advice.
    I have a Belgian friend looking to come to Scotland for a couple of nights to do hiking/ wild camping.
    I donít know much about this...anyone got any advice....
    He has asked about best destination to do this, mentioning the Cairngorms...?
    Any advice welcome

2. Log in to remove the advert

Parts of the shores of Loch Lomond, particualrly on the east side, are a restrcted camping area in the summer months due to pissed up idiots and anti social behaviour so be aware of that.

Glen Affric, the Lost Valley in Glencoe or Glenfeshie in the Cairngorms would be my advice of areas to look into further.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    https://www.visitscotland.com/accomm.../wild-camping/

It's pretty straight forward really and if he follows the guidelines mentioned in the link (if it works) then Scotland is a fantastic place to explore.

The highlands are great but the borders are also a wonderful place to go trekking.

Looking to take my youngest camping in the warmer months and wouldn't mind some advice too .

Looking for somewhere away from drunken louts and midges but with a river nearby and able to build a fire.

Tried Killmahog a few years ago but were plagued by midges and ended up leaving at 6 am to go home :-)
    Also camped at a site in Dumfries but no fires allowed and it rained all day and night

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking to take my youngest camping in the warmer months and wouldn't mind some advice too .

Looking for somewhere away from drunken louts and midges but with a river nearby and able to build a fire.

Tried Killmahog a few years ago but were plagued by midges and ended up leaving at 6 am to go home :-)
    Also camped at a site in Dumfries but no fires allowed and it rained all day and night
    Up along the road that takes you to Loch Etive, right next to a river and scenery that you won't better, in my opinion that is!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Go now! Or at least in the next few weeks. Midgie season starts in the middle of May usually and just gets worse from there.

Quote Originally Posted by ano hibby View Post
    Looking for some advice.
    I have a Belgian friend looking to come to Scotland for a couple of nights to do hiking/ wild camping.
    I donít know much about this...anyone got any advice....
    He has asked about best destination to do this, mentioning the Cairngorms...?
    Any advice welcome
    If theyíre dead set on Cairngorms then the area around Braemar is great. Derry lodge from Linn of Dee or Glen Quoich. There are any number of alternatives though and itís probably worth having a few plans and choosing last minute based on weather.

Thanks for the tips everyone...I will pass on..cheers

Stupid question time...are midges an issue when you get up high in the hills..?
    Last edited by ano hibby; 23-04-2018 at 12:50 PM.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by ano hibby View Post
    Thanks for the tips everyone...I will pass on..cheers

Stupid question time...are midges an issue when you get up high in the hills..?
    Generally no due to there being a 'breeze' and not much standing water.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Ta
    "We've also been unsure about what has happened to the receipts of the players who have been sold."
    George Foulkes BBC website 20/3/08

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    the little swines can't handle wind or direct sunshine but if it's overcast or towards dusk and fairly still you can encounter them fairly high up, certainly to 600m or so.

Worth keeping an eye on: https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

Alemoor near Hawick is nice for a couple of nights. Can get a fishing permit and fires are OK,as long as you aren't silly about it. You can park up next to where you camp too. I would advice midge nets though!