hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be disappointed if he is allowed to leave. For various reasons this season hasn't worked out for him as well as it could have, but he was excellent on Saturday against the team and midfield who have strolled the league. If he can play like that against Celtic there is absolutely no reason why he can't do that against the other teams in the league. If McGeouch leaves then I hope that gives Swanson more of an opportunity.
    no reason at all why he can't go on to dominate games next season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    When i was watching yesterdays brilliant performance it was tinged with a little sadness knowing that this wonderful team has reached the point in the cycle where the best parts are plundered by the rich and powerful.

Watching the power of McGinn and the Hibs Iniesta McGeough dictating play against quality opponents sadly confirms the end of a great chapter.

Future International Captain McGinn looks like a perfect replacement for Scott Brown and IMO is now the outstanding midfield player in Scotland. He hunts the ball down like pacman, taking out everything in it's path. Every good team needs a John McGinn. IMO he could now play in the English Premiership given he now has great strength to go with the relentless engine. Even at £4 million I would say he would represent a no risk absolute bargain buy for any team outside the top 6 in the EPL as they could easily get their money back at any time from an English Championship team if it doesn't quite work out. I really hope we can get an appropriate fee for such an exceptional player.

McGeough's situation is different in that his injury history and slight build may count against him getting a big move. Unfortunately for Hibs and fortunately for McGeough he is out of contract which means an English Championship will sign him up for free on a 2 year contract on a bigger wage than Hibs can afford.
    IMO Hibs should push the boat out for him and even add an agreement to let him go if an offer of 300k comes in for him in the future and he wants to go.
    Strangely I think we would have more success in replacing McGinn than McGeough.

Without green specs what does your head say on this issue?

P.S. Sorry for pissing on the chips.
    I know what you mean and you rightly identify our midfield which has really propelled the team to some magnificent performances this season. My feeling is however that this is the Lennon chapter in our history and it is probably only when he goes that we could say it will be the end of an era.

Jeez, what are you people like!

I bet when Summer starts, you start warning everybody to remember it doesn't last long and will soon be over.

For Pete's sake cheer up and just enjoy watchin the fitbaw!

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Jeez, what are you people like!

I bet when Summer starts, you start warning everybody to remember it doesn't last long and will soon be over.

For Pete's sake cheer up and just enjoy watchin the fitbaw!

This! We all know we'll have our ups and downs supporting Hibs. Let's enjoy the good as long as we can! Lenny might work some magic in the summer.

Or start of a new era 😉

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    Or start of a new era 😉
    I see it that way too. We are building to last.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Winning the cup was the end of an era, since then the potential of this club has started to be unlocked.

Losing two or three players won't be the end of that.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Newhaven View Post
    Sorry but there is no way in the world we’ll get £5m for him. Not even close to that figure.
    Why do you anti-Hibs stand in the corner merchants always always try to do this to my team?

Left by mutual consent!
    Perhaps it's the end of an era of crap league finishes in SPL.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Newhaven View Post
    Sorry but there is no way in the world we’ll get £5m for him. Not even close to that figure.
    If he goes, then the fee we get for him could depend on how many clubs are keen to acquire him. The old bidding war scenario might kick-in.

Players like Boyle, Bartley, Hanlon ect remaining will mean it won't be the end just yet. We still have a solid base to the side.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I've got every confidence we have the ability to make signings to compensate for losing players.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I've got every confidence we have the ability to make signings to compensate for losing players.
    The point is that Hibs are currently averaging over 18,000 and this is likely to be higher next season. Compare this to the 9,000 to 10,000 of a few years back, so we should be able to pay better wages and attract better players.

Hibs should have an advantage over Hearts and arguable Aberdeen (although there seems to be strange things happening there). Hearts have to finish off and pay for their ‘Megastand’ while Aberdeen need to build a whole new stadium.

The rest, bar the bigots, are far behind in financial terms, especially with Dundee United floundering in the Championship.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I'd be disappointed if he is allowed to leave. For various reasons this season hasn't worked out for him as well as it could have, but he was excellent on Saturday against the team and midfield who have strolled the league. If he can play like that against Celtic there is absolutely no reason why he can't do that against the other teams in the league. If McGeouch leaves then I hope that gives Swanson more of an opportunity.
    Our system only allows for 1 player like swanson/allan/slivka. Part of what makes us so strong IMO is that we have two very gifted DCMs sitting in front of the 3 very good centre backs, two of whom have licence to roam forward, while also providing cover on the flanks to support the wing backs, stevenson and boyle. Replacing mcgeouch with swanson would mean we'd be playing with two free-role attacking midfielders, which would leave us exposed at the back.

Blog Entries
    Unsurprisingly, the DR is reporting that both McGinn and McGeouch are strongly in Brenda’s radar as part of their build up for next season. There’s no denying the likelihood of one or both of them going to Parkhead but it might take a combination of both of them for Scott Allan and a huge wedge to clinch a deal. One thing’s for certain, Lennon, despite his soft spot for Celtic, won’t want to be the the loser in any deal.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    For me I think we have more chance of getting Mcginn to sign a wee extension than we do in keeping McGeouch...

with Dylan's injury history I think he will be looking for a move that will set him up financially post-football... I will not be surprised to see him playing for a London team next year... say Fulham or the like. His girlfriend works at STV and they have a branch down in London that she would slot right into.

McGinn seem very happy and I think he is enjoying being the driving force in Hibs’ resurgence in the past few years. If we get into Europe I could see him staying at least til Christmas.

If we lose McGeouch and keep Mcginn then I can see a less than frantic summer recruitment drive.

What a result it would be to keep both, but I can’t see it.
    https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/spo...l-move-summer/