hibs.net Messageboard

James Keatings opens up on battle with depression

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...tings-12404502

Afraid it is in the Daily Ranger but thought folk on here would be interested.

Sounds like James has had a rotten time of it over the last 10 months.
    Best Wishes to him in his fight with what can be a destructive and all consuming illness.
    Hopefully he can get some peace now and get his life and career back on track.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 22-04-2018 at 08:48 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Horrible to hear but massive respect to James for opening up.

It's not easy for anybody but must be particularly hard if you are a professional footballer.

Wish him all the best and hope to see him playing in the SPL soon as no doubt he has the talent.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    All the best to him and also very healthy to see many high profile names openly talk about it. The more talk there is about mental health the easier it becomes for people to seek help.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Very brave of him to open up and it sounds like he's been through some difficult times. All the best to him, hopefully he's back scoring goals again soon as he's a good striker.

The sun peeking through the curtain of his hotel room offered a view outside of Mexico in all its glory.
    The golden, sandy beaches were 
waiting as part of what should have been the holiday of a lifetime.
    But James Keatings wasn’t interested.
    Because, at that point in his life, no amount of light was going to pierce through the dark cloud that was slowly engulfing him.
    He didn’t know it last June when he set off with then girlfriend Debbie.
    But he was in the first throes of depression.
    Keatings should have been bouncing out of his bed every morning.
    Instead, he was struggling to get his head off the pillow.
    That dark feeling he had in Mexico was only the start of the physical and mental torture he was about to face.
    As a professional, the 26-year-old 
has endured a nightmare campaign with injuries.
    But the pain he suffered in his ankle and hip is nothing compared to an 
illness that has gripped his whole life.
    As well as depression, the loss of his grandad William hit him hard – as did the break-up with Debbie.
    Then, when he thought things couldn’t get any worse, he was forced to board a flight to Tenerife to be at dad James’ bedside after he had been mowed down by a hit-and-run driver. Until now, Keatings has only 
spoken to those closest to him about his problems.
    Seeking out help from his family, agent Alan Houldsworth and the Tannadice club were the first steps on the striker’s road to recovery.
    Even at the start of MailSport’s 
conversation with the striker, he was reluctant to open up.
    But the need to unburden himself of negative thoughts – as well as a 
determination to help others who are silently suffering – made up his mind.
    From the outside, most players look to have the perfect life without a care in the world.
    But, as Keatings proves, in reality it can be a very different story.
    He said: “I’ve been suffering from depression but not a lot of people are aware of it.
    “I was on holiday in Mexico last 
summer and my girlfriend was the first person to notice signs of it.
    “She immediately wanted to get me help. I’d spend most days locked away in my room. I didn’t want to get up.
    “I had no life, basically. I couldn’t pull myself out of it. But I didn’t want to admit to depression – I couldn’t see it in myself.
    “I didn’t believe something like that could get a grip of me. But I couldn’t shake it.
    “It was new to me. I couldn’t 
understand it, couldn’t see through it.
    “The first person I went to was Alan, my agent. I came off the pitch one day and broke down in front of him.
    “He got me help and has been 
amazing. Everyone at Dundee United, including my former manager Ray McKinnon, Laurie Ellis, Darren Taylor, as well as the doctor and physio, has been brilliant.
    “I also confided in Jason Cummings, who has been there for me as well.
    “It’s still hard to talk about.
    “For a few months, being injured was actually a blessing in disguise. Because it gave me time away.
    “The way I was feeling, it was better to be out of it, away from football.
    “At one point, playing was the last thing on my mind. I was in a dark place and didn’t know where to turn.
    “It was difficult to tell my family. I didn’t want to put them through it. I’ve learnt more about the illness and sought my own help. I’ve had to train myself to deal with it.
    “Every day, I don’t know how I’ll be when I wake up.
    “But initially I couldn’t get myself out of the darkness. Now I can. I’m getting better gradually.
    “It’s hard for me right now. As I’m talking, I find myself sweating because I haven’t opened up in 
public before.”
    The death of his Papa, William, was a huge blow.
    He said: “I lost him a couple of months ago and it was a hard one to take. He’d followed my career from when I was a young boy, 
coming to every game until his age stopped him.
    “That was a tough time for me.
    “Until this season, my career and life have been pretty rosy.
    “But fans and people on the 
outside just see you as a player, 
they don’t see what goes on in 
the background.

“This season has opened my eyes. People think we’re robots but we’re not – we’re just human beings, the same as everyone else.
    “We go through the same problems as other people. I never expected to face what I’ve faced this season.
    “Everything has come at once and it has taken its toll. I was reading people’s comments about me and letting it have a negative effect.
    “Normally that wouldn’t get to me but niggly things were upsetting me.
    “It pushed me to the point of having no confidence.
    “I had stopped believing in myself for the first time. I was questioning myself going on a pitch.
    “That was just the process I was going through at the time. But I’m now focused on getting out at the other end.
    “In seasons before I’ve always had spells of success that give you a lift. But this season, from the very start, I’ve been suffering. I didn’t know I was going through it.
    “I had the injuries, I wasn’t playing, my grandad passing away. Everything got on top of me.
    “But I’m away now from the dark 
place where I’d give up easily and have no hunger.
    “I see it more as a challenge in life now. I’ve been set a challenge and it’s a case of can I beat it?
    “At one point, I was waking up and I couldn’t give a s**t. I’ve came on leaps and bounds and I have to keep going.”
    Keatings has set his sights on a fresh start at Dundee United next term and expects to be fit again for pre-season.
    But last week, despite seeing light at the end of the tunnel, he was dealt more bad news.
    His father was on holiday in 
Tenerife when a Peruvian driver left him for dead in the street before 
driving away.
    Keatings feared for his dad’s life and jumped on a plane to the Canary Islands.
    Thankfully, James pulled through and returned to Scotland on Friday nursing several injuries.
    His boy said: “That was the worst feeling I’ve had in my life.
    “I woke up to 50 missed calls. When I rang my stepmum Karen back she told me Dad had been the victim of a hit and run.
    “He was in hospital but she didn’t know how bad he was.
    “He was in a neck brace and she couldn’t see his face for blood.
    “Alan was brilliant for me again, he booked a flight and took me to the airport.
    “I just had to get out there. It was worrying because I didn’t know what I was getting off the plane to. I sat on the flight fearing the worst.
    “But when I got to see him, it was just sheer relief. That feeling of sickness went away. He’s in a bit of a state but better than I thought he’d be.
    “He has broken his ribs, has stitches in his head and is covered from head to toe in injuries.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Good to hear he has people around him who can support him. Depression is debilitating beyond belief. Well done for speaking out James, the more people that do lessens the stigma about mental health.

One of my most vivid memories from the Scottish Cup win was James wheeling away towards the north stand after SDG's goal. Will go on to continue his successful career and I wish him the very best.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The sun peeking through the curtain of his hotel room offered a view outside of Mexico in all its glory.
    The golden, sandy beaches were 
waiting as part of what should have been the holiday of a lifetime.
    But James Keatings wasn’t interested.
    Because, at that point in his life, no amount of light was going to pierce through the dark cloud that was slowly engulfing him.
    He didn’t know it last June when he set off with then girlfriend Debbie.
    But he was in the first throes of depression.
    Keatings should have been bouncing out of his bed every morning.
    Instead, he was struggling to get his head off the pillow.
    That dark feeling he had in Mexico was only the start of the physical and mental torture he was about to face.
    As a professional, the 26-year-old 
has endured a nightmare campaign with injuries.
    But the pain he suffered in his ankle and hip is nothing compared to an 
illness that has gripped his whole life.
    As well as depression, the loss of his grandad William hit him hard – as did the break-up with Debbie.
    Then, when he thought things couldn’t get any worse, he was forced to board a flight to Tenerife to be at dad James’ bedside after he had been mowed down by a hit-and-run driver. Until now, Keatings has only 
spoken to those closest to him about his problems.
    Seeking out help from his family, agent Alan Houldsworth and the Tannadice club were the first steps on the striker’s road to recovery.
    Even at the start of MailSport’s 
conversation with the striker, he was reluctant to open up.
    But the need to unburden himself of negative thoughts – as well as a 
determination to help others who are silently suffering – made up his mind.
    From the outside, most players look to have the perfect life without a care in the world.
    But, as Keatings proves, in reality it can be a very different story.
    He said: “I’ve been suffering from depression but not a lot of people are aware of it.
    “I was on holiday in Mexico last 
summer and my girlfriend was the first person to notice signs of it.
    “She immediately wanted to get me help. I’d spend most days locked away in my room. I didn’t want to get up.
    “I had no life, basically. I couldn’t pull myself out of it. But I didn’t want to admit to depression – I couldn’t see it in myself.
    “I didn’t believe something like that could get a grip of me. But I couldn’t shake it.
    “It was new to me. I couldn’t 
understand it, couldn’t see through it.
    “The first person I went to was Alan, my agent. I came off the pitch one day and broke down in front of him.
    “He got me help and has been 
amazing. Everyone at Dundee United, including my former manager Ray McKinnon, Laurie Ellis, Darren Taylor, as well as the doctor and physio, has been brilliant.
    “I also confided in Jason Cummings, who has been there for me as well.
    “It’s still hard to talk about.
    “For a few months, being injured was actually a blessing in disguise. Because it gave me time away.
    “The way I was feeling, it was better to be out of it, away from football.
    “At one point, playing was the last thing on my mind. I was in a dark place and didn’t know where to turn.
    “It was difficult to tell my family. I didn’t want to put them through it. I’ve learnt more about the illness and sought my own help. I’ve had to train myself to deal with it.
    “Every day, I don’t know how I’ll be when I wake up.
    “But initially I couldn’t get myself out of the darkness. Now I can. I’m getting better gradually.
    “It’s hard for me right now. As I’m talking, I find myself sweating because I haven’t opened up in 
public before.”
    The death of his Papa, William, was a huge blow.
    He said: “I lost him a couple of months ago and it was a hard one to take. He’d followed my career from when I was a young boy, 
coming to every game until his age stopped him.
    “That was a tough time for me.
    “Until this season, my career and life have been pretty rosy.
    “But fans and people on the 
outside just see you as a player, 
they don’t see what goes on in 
the background.

“This season has opened my eyes. People think we’re robots but we’re not – we’re just human beings, the same as everyone else.
    “We go through the same problems as other people. I never expected to face what I’ve faced this season.
    “Everything has come at once and it has taken its toll. I was reading people’s comments about me and letting it have a negative effect.
    “Normally that wouldn’t get to me but niggly things were upsetting me.
    “It pushed me to the point of having no confidence.
    “I had stopped believing in myself for the first time. I was questioning myself going on a pitch.
    “That was just the process I was going through at the time. But I’m now focused on getting out at the other end.
    “In seasons before I’ve always had spells of success that give you a lift. But this season, from the very start, I’ve been suffering. I didn’t know I was going through it.
    “I had the injuries, I wasn’t playing, my grandad passing away. Everything got on top of me.
    “But I’m away now from the dark 
place where I’d give up easily and have no hunger.
    “I see it more as a challenge in life now. I’ve been set a challenge and it’s a case of can I beat it?
    “At one point, I was waking up and I couldn’t give a s**t. I’ve came on leaps and bounds and I have to keep going.”
    Keatings has set his sights on a fresh start at Dundee United next term and expects to be fit again for pre-season.
    But last week, despite seeing light at the end of the tunnel, he was dealt more bad news.
    His father was on holiday in 
Tenerife when a Peruvian driver left him for dead in the street before 
driving away.
    Keatings feared for his dad’s life and jumped on a plane to the Canary Islands.
    Thankfully, James pulled through and returned to Scotland on Friday nursing several injuries.
    His boy said: “That was the worst feeling I’ve had in my life.
    “I woke up to 50 missed calls. When I rang my stepmum Karen back she told me Dad had been the victim of a hit and run.
    “He was in hospital but she didn’t know how bad he was.
    “He was in a neck brace and she couldn’t see his face for blood.
    “Alan was brilliant for me again, he booked a flight and took me to the airport.
    “I just had to get out there. It was worrying because I didn’t know what I was getting off the plane to. I sat on the flight fearing the worst.
    “But when I got to see him, it was just sheer relief. That feeling of sickness went away. He’s in a bit of a state but better than I thought he’d be.
    “He has broken his ribs, has stitches in his head and is covered from head to toe in injuries.
    Best of luck to him. Depression is a horrible illness and something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I hope he gets the help and support that he needs.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    As someone who has suffered from depression I can empathise with James. It really is a horrible dark place to be. However with the right support there is light at the end of the tunnel. Stay strong and best wishes for the future James.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    As someone who has suffered from depression I can empathise with James. It really is a horrible dark place to be. However with the right support there is light at the end of the tunnel. Stay strong and best wishes for the future James.
    Totally concur, been there too.
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    I don't know about utd, but my impression was that even though he's had his detractors, he's been well loved by most at all his clubs - hopefully he sees this at some point. Depression is awful, and makes people unable to see how valued they are. Chin up, keats - we believe in you!!!

Have bumped the depression and anxiety thread on The Holy Ground board. Anyone looking in who hasnt seen it its an excellent support.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Good luck to James. A good player for us and a popular one as well. One of my best friends has been through depression and manages the condition well. There's light at the end of the tunnel.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Promising Youngster
    So sad to read about James Keatings but good he getting the help to get through this. Just proves that this illness can hit anyone at any time in any walk of life!

Wish him all the best. Another legend and seems a good guy.

Hopefully he gets through the worst and starts to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    Have bumped the depression and anxiety thread on The Holy Ground board. Anyone looking in who hasnt seen it its an excellent support.
    Well done that man/woman. Depression's a dreadful dehibilitating condition, I wonder if it contributed to his career not quite matching the talent he often showed with us.

I hope he gets the support he needs to enable him to shine again. His late goal against Falkirk was pivotal in our promotion. He's now helped three clubs to get promotion from the Championship. He's a quality player and he sure deserves more time in the sun, and his chance in the Premiership in particular.

Horrendous illness, wish him every good wish in his battle

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Totally concur, been there too.
    And me. It’s a brutal illness and can hit anytime. With more people like James Keatings and indeed Neil Lennon talking about it, hopefully recognising the signs and treatment will improve

Somehow missed this thread from earlier. There’s an ongoing thread in the Holy Ground forum that I posted to not long ago. Unashamedly reposting here in support of JK.

Just read the article about Keatings in today’s Sunday Mail. My heart genuinely goes out to him.
    He’s been in such a bad place mentally in the last 12-15 months by the sound of it. It’s so difficult to come to terms with. Being unable to open up and speak to a wider circle of family/friends does regrettably make the situation worse although you just don’t realise that at the time.

It was refreshing to read that he was able to confide in Jason Cummings about how he was feeling. Given Jason’s demeanour, he’s probably not the first person you’d think about to open up to. Good on you Jason!!

What isn’t so clear from the article is whether or not he said anything during his time with us. Although Neil is mentioned as having gone through similar, it doesn’t say if Neil or the club were aware or helped James in any way. I’d like to think they would have but as I said earlier, speaking up about it “in the workplace” can be seen by the individual affected as a sign of weakness and possible thoughts that his career could be affected.

So glad he has now opened up. It’s the first step to recovery and very reassuring that United are fully behind him.

So sorry to read his story but i admire him for having the strength to come out and tell us all about it.

He was a good player for us and i was surprised when he wasnt given a new contract at the end of that cup winning season.

Depression is an illness that can totally shut down your whole being both pysically and mentally. Its terrifying and so difficult to explain to people who look at you and think

there is nothiny wrong with you. Anything or any person can inflict this illness on you whether its through shock, fear or the sense of losing a loved one. it strikes and eventually you crumble.

It must have been terrible for him feeling so bad, no one knowing how he felt and reading comments on fans sites criticising him and his ability. Thats why i get upset at some on here picking on a particular player all the time. As he says he is only human and has the same feelings as you and me. We all react differently to situations as and when they come and it takes a brave person to see out help on their own.

He seems to have himself a good line of support now and has managed to climb out of the darkness and into the light. He will keep fighting and hopefully become his old self again.

He deserves some happiness and i hope next season brings that to him and he can walk tall again.

Well done James you are on your way, there will be some setbacks but you have come this far and wont let yourself go back wards. All the best.......

Very brave for James to open up about his depression, as outlined it's particularly comforting for those who also suffer from it.

I was fortunate enough to get to know him quite well during his time with us, and he is a genuinely nice guy who was always willing to chat to anyone.

I hope he continues to get the support he needs, and gets back on the pitch banging in the goals again soon.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hibs Legend and always welcome and worshipped at ER

Get well soon James

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Always had a lot of time for Keats. Who can forget his brilliant last minute title winning goal against Falkirk and his reaction to SDGs winning goal in the Scottish Cup Final.I also believe he has been spotted back at ER as a fan. HIBS have that affect on players.Get well soon Keats hope to see you back soon doing what you do best but please not against the Hibees.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Always had a lot of time for Keats. Who can forget his brilliant last minute title winning goal against Falkirk and his reaction to SDGs winning goal in the Scottish Cup Final.I also believe he has been spotted back at ER as a fan. HIBS have that affect on players.Get well soon Keats hope to see you back soon doing what you do best but please not against the Hibees.

Personally wish he was still at Hibs. All the best to him.