hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

Scottish Football

Love it......

I wasn’t there today but from the radio it sounded like it was another terrific advert for our game.

Aside from today’s game though, league title will be won later than in the English premiership, championship and the German top division. There’s genuine excitement about who is going to get the European places, same with the relegation battle.

Aside from the big two.......hibs are selling out, hearts nearly filling their tin pot wee stadium, Aberdeen moving to a new stadium and then you see things like the st Mirren fans doing a big organised march to the stadium, it’s absolutely brilliant to see.

On top of that you’re seeing nearly all players that go down south forging out great careers for themselves which shows we’re both bringing through good young players and also giving them a platform to play.

IMO the game up here really is on the up. It’s a shame more of the media don’t try to promote it as well as they should. Michael Stewart is the only Scottish pundit that talks up our game, Chris Sutton also tries his best even if he is a wind up merchant.

Anyway, starting to waffle now but sure you get my point.

Mon’ the revolution.........

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Love it......

I wasn’t there today but from the radio it sounded like it was another terrific advert for our game.

Aside from today’s game though, league title will be won later than in the English premiership, championship and the German top division. There’s genuine excitement about who is going to get the European places, same with the relegation battle.

Aside from the big two.......hibs are selling out, hearts nearly filling their tin pot wee stadium, Aberdeen moving to a new stadium and then you see things like the st Mirren fans doing a big organised march to the stadium, it’s absolutely brilliant to see.

On top of that you’re seeing nearly all players that go down south forging out great careers for themselves which shows we’re both bringing through good young players and also giving them a platform to play.

IMO the game up here really is on the up. It’s a shame more of the media don’t try to promote it as well as they should. Michael Stewart is the only Scottish pundit that talks up our game, Chris Sutton also tries his best even if he is a wind up merchant.

Excellent post, bingo
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Excellent post, bingo
    There’s more.......

Sorry, forgot to add, meanwhile, the Scottish pundits that are based in England but don’t actually watch our football continue to mock it at every opportunity. The likes of Charlie Nicholas and ‘Rambo’, couldn’t tell you the first thing about the teams in our league but they keep scoffing at it at every opportunity. The bbc did a comedy video of bloopers form Scottish football a couple of weeks ago on the same weekend there was about 4 it 5 absolute screamers.

Everyone involved in our game needs to start sticking up for it more imo.

Love it......

Great post! Agree 100%

Well said.

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    but... but... but.... Armageddon.....

I'm glad those idiots have been proven wrong

There’s more.......

Sorry, forgot to add, meanwhile, the Scottish pundits that are based in England but don’t actually watch our football continue to mock it at every opportunity. The likes of Charlie Nicholas and ‘Rambo’, couldn’t tell you the first thing about the teams in our league but they keep scoffing at it at every opportunity. The bbc did a comedy video of bloopers form Scottish football a couple of weeks ago on the same weekend there was about 4 it 5 absolute screamers.

Everyone involved in our game needs to start sticking up for it more imo.
    For all his faults Chris Sutton, an Englishman of course, is very good at talking up our game when it deserves to be.

Meanwhile as you say there are Scots down south who either love putting the boot in themselves or play along with the joke when they could speak up and actually defend our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    For all his faults Chris Sutton, an Englishman of course, is very good at talking up our game when it deserves to be.

Meanwhile as you say there are Scots down south who either love putting the boot in themselves or play along with the joke when they could speak up and actually defend our game.
    Neil Lennon does the same at every opportunity too, again though, it’s taking a northern Irishman to do what the Scottish pundits should be doing.

Testimonial Due
    Love it......

Not a loaded question but who is forging a great career moving South?? I honestly can't think of many who have made the so called step up ?

Very good post, however the shame should be on the SPFL / Neil Doncaster.

We have a great product - one that is improving and has a lot of potential, however this in in spite of those running the game.

Tv money, sponsorship, fan experience (to mention a few) are all miles behind what it should be. Imagine where our game would be if we had a governing body that really saw the potential and made savvy business decisions.

If only......

Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    Not a loaded question but who is forging a great career moving South?? I honestly can't think of many who have made the so called step up ?
    Look at almost any player that moves to the English championship, we’re a great market for them and have been for a number of years.

Andy Robertson
    Liam Lindsay
    Barry Douglas
    Johnny Russel (I know he’s moved on now)
    Craig Forsyth (think that’s the name of the guy that moved to derby?)
    Scott Fraser
    Callum Paterson

Can probably still include the likes of Steven Fletcher in there too. Sure there are others that I’ve missed but there’s plenty of examples.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Spot on, I love Scottish football. There's a real charm and rawness about it. I hope the new TV deal reflects the direction it seems to be heading in.

Look at almost any player that moves to the English championship, we’re a great market for them and have been for a number of years.

Andy Robertson
    Liam Lindsay
    Barry Douglas
    Johnny Russel (I know he’s moved on now)
    Craig Forsyth (think that’s the name of the guy that moved to derby?)
    Scott Fraser
    Callum Paterson

Can probably still include the likes of Steven Fletcher in there too. Sure there are others that I’ve missed but there’s plenty of examples.
    McArthur and McCarthy have both done well in England. Whittaker and Naismith had good careers down there too.

Quote Originally Posted by sauzee6_2 View Post

We have a great product - one that is improving and has a lot of potential, however this in in spite of those running the game.

Tv money, sponsorship, fan experience (to mention a few) are all miles behind what it should be. Imagine where our game would be if we had a governing body that really saw the potential and made savvy business decisions.

If only......
    Completely agree but I feel the ineptitude of them has almost galvanised some of the supporters in our country to prove them wrong.

Imo people are becoming more and more disillusioned with all the money in English (and champions league) football and we should be playing on the fact we still have the soul in our game and it’s proper clubs playing proper football. Not billionaires playing real life fantasy football.

I’m buzzing about the Scottish football game tomorrow and can’t wait until next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    McArthur and McCarthy have both done well in England. Whittaker and Naismith had good careers down there too.
    Barry McKay had a great start to his career at Nottingham forest, no idea how he’s done recently though?

Christoph Berra would need to be included in that bracket too but I didn’t want to start going back too far.

Sone Aluko was sold for £7.5m in the summer, not sure how that fits into my point but when you see how bang average he was up here i feel it’s relevant somehow.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Love it......

Agree totally too easy to talk down the game especially if we foolishly try and compare with English premier league. Great game today, great atmosphere, brilliant attacking style from both teams much better than playing against teams hacking players down at every opportunity. Great advert and great win for Hibs.

Not only do we have a good squad we have a great team of players that play well together, you dont have to be world beaters to playbwell as a team, look at england they have very good players,but, pish together

We always put the boot in the English game too to be fair. Love Scottish though.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    There’s too many people up here who are of the “Scottish fitba is sheight, I’d rather watch English football, even at the 4th tier than the pish up here” ilk. The English talked down our game so everyone there started to believe it, including us. We talked down our game so much we started to believe it even more. We talked it down some more and everyone else started to believe it which probably put players off from playing up here. The whole “there’s only two big clubs that matter” nonsense didn’t/doesn’t help either. I remember listening to an ex-colleague on a night out have a massive dig at Scottish football whilst claiming to be a big fan of some mid-tier English Premiership club. He wasn’t happy when I told him that it was people like him who were partly responsible for Scottish football being perceived that way. My father-in-law (an Aberdeen fan) is the same but he’s an armchair fan.

We’re starting to get past that. We have some very good managers up here now and some decent players too. The league is probably the most competitive in overall terms than I can remember it being.

It made me cringe hearing the Ginger Judas Prick come out with the (and I’m paraphrasing here) “we have some good players but really they are mostly crap so we have to play to our strengths” nonsense before the last international games. If you keep telling the players that they are inferior often enough they will start to believe it.
    Last edited by overdrive; 21-04-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Best highest paid players dont always make for the best league for enjoyment. I have said for years that scottish football is not always pritty but it can so often be exciting.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    The top teams in the SPL are decent and could maybe make a fist of it in the English championship.

Given the money the EPL teams get from TV etc, I have no doubt Celtc would be challenging at the very top.

Otherwise, the rest of Scottish football is poor.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

As the o.p. said, Scottish football is on the up. There are five teams now scrambling for the top and the bottom six are all taking points off each other leading to a very exciting end to the season. It makes compulsive listening on the radio.

We've somehow managed over the months and years (Lewey. Hanlon etc.) to find a manager and team who can gel and play at an extremely high level. It was gurgling away for a couple of years when we were in the Championship but it came to a head on 21/5/16. This in turn massively increased our fan base and we're now starting to see a fair increase in the number of people on social media, both here and increasingly, abroad, who are reacting to our success with such enthusiasm.

Not just results but some superb media productions from the club as well as SoL are playing their part in the whole image of Hibs going around the world and being seen in a completely different manner from a few years ago.

I've said to my son and daughter that they should enjoy these times because they are just getting better and, as a long suffering Hibbie, I know good times such as these don't come along often.

There's another level and I want to be on it.

GGTTH!

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    It's underrated. Sutton talks it up well.

First Team Breakthrough BigT-Hibeez's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibeez68
    Quote Originally Posted by sauzee6_2 View Post

If only......
    I was about to say something similar, gladly you beat me to it..

Time to kick out the dinosaurs that are still stuck in the 1970's, and are holding Scottish football back..

We basically rule

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    The top teams in the SPL are decent and could maybe make a fist of it in the English championship.

Given the money the EPL teams get from TV etc, I have no doubt Celtc would be challenging at the very top.

Otherwise, the rest of Scottish football is poor.
    Really ? If confirmation were needed of negativity, you deliver in spades.

Scottish football may not have the profile, money and glamour of the English Premiership but it has far more passion IMO. Not saying clubs down south don't have passionate fans but you see at Old Trafford, Anfield, Emiratess etc etc every week bags of tourists, watching most of the game from behind a camera lens.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Love it......

This is one of the best Scottish football games I have seen on TV. I really wish I could have been there as the atmosphere sounded amazing all through the game. The ref wasn't too bad either, until we went 2 up and then he seemed to go all out to turn things around.

Is part of this is also down to English clubs seeing Scotland as a good place for there young talent to come up and play ?

You see barker at hibs , Roberts at Celtic from city but the other English teams seem happy to send players up to get experience too, Mitchell at hearts from united and I’m sure there are more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Ive said this for a while now - I’d ALWAYS watch a Scottish game ahead of an EPL game. I was at Spurs V Man City last weekend, it was absolutely soulless in terms of atmosphere and there was even folk with half and half scarves and Man City fans in the Spurs end. It’s more like a show down there rather than proper football.