hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Depends if I win the Euro Millions or not tonight. In reality, established top 4 having won another trophy, I’m optimistic!
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    winning the champions league and premiership with a bunch of Lithuanians.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fighting for top 4 same as just now.
    Top six minimum. Hopefully guys like porteous,Shaw, Lewis Allan and Stirling become regular fixtures in the team and prosper. There will be ups and downs with injuries and players going but the club is now set up to be regular challengers for a euro place.

With Lewis stevenson as player-manager.

Putting the league to one side, on average since 1875 Hibs have won a cup once every 23 years .... that is a statistic we should be aiming to improve and should be a realistic aim for a club of our stature in Scottish football.

As things stand at the moment with a favourable draw we can realistically expect to make the semi finals of either of the cup competitions, but as has been said the early start Scottish clubs have to make in Europe is a real disadvantage, don't tell me some of the ridiculous results clubs like us, the Yams and Sevco have suffered is because we aren't better, or at least as good, as some of the teams who have knocked us out ... it would be a big achievement to overcome that disadvantage and make the group stages, if we could do that it would be real progress.

We are on the right track at the moment .... but in football 5 years is a long time and anything can happen.

Left by mutual consent!
    Regularly top 4 with the odd scrappy season making the top 6. Regular Hampden trips with the odd cup win thrown in.

Long term we should be aiming for Europa League group stages.

Probably fighting relegation. Its the way it goes.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Top 4 is all we can hope for....no money in Scottish football and that wont change. Forget about anything more than initial rounds in europe.
    Unfortunately I have to agree with you & that hurts as I come from the generation of Hibs fans who watch a successful Hibs team in Europe etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    If McGinn can be given a deal to encourage him to sign a one year extension to his contract we’ll know the ambition of the club.
    And if he doesn't does that mean the club have no ambition?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Unfortunately I have to agree with you & that hurts as I come from the generation of Hibs fans who watch a successful Hibs team in Europe etc.

It's not all down to money, how much money is in Slovenian football for instance, yet they reach the league stages of the Europa League regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    It's not all down to money, how much money is in Slovenian football for instance, yet they reach the league stages of the Europa League regularly?

Agree with that.

Sadly they seem to produce a better standard of players than we do.

Seen too many cycles of boom/bust (mainly bust) to try predict anything. The thing that usually leads to the next bust is losing key players or a good manager - usually to the OF for next to nothing. There is however an intriguing unknown factor at play this time - a desperately poor Sevco which appears to be continually on the brink of going bust again. Add to that, Celtic are now fishing in international waters and all of a sudden there is a genuine chance of us building a keeping some of our better players who would otherwise have gone along the M8.

The other thing that makes it incredibly hard for non-OF clubs to maintain a 3rd force position is lack of motivation. It's neither sexy or rewarding to always be striving to be 3rd at anything. Players, managers and fans soon get fed up with that. Just look at Aberdeen who have been the 2nd force for the last few years, but are now struggling a bit, have won little and have hardly seen crowds soar !

Taking all that into account, it feels like the best we can hope for is competing for cups and Europe.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    In five years time I’d like us to have added at least one more cup to the cabinet, league cup is absolutely fine, and I think that’s realistic. I also think it’s realistic to be challenging for top 4 consistently, we may fall short now and again but at the very least we’ll be a top six side. I don’t agree with those who think the next bust is round the corner, god knows given our history I can see why they would be fearful of that but I just think the foundations of the club are so solid now that we’ll overcome the loss of important players and still be a force. A lot will come down to whether the support continues to show up in such huge numbers at Easter road.

Honestly cant see us making European group stages but I’d love to be proved wrong on that and if it even happened just once it could help transform us financially.

I would also hope HSL have acquired 20% of the club by then and will still be raising plenty of cash for the first team, and of course I’d like to see some more home grown talent emerging from the youth teams. Given the performances of the U-20s this season I have no reason to doubt that will happen.

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Success is winning the league - that's why we take part. The media might expect the other teams in the league to play second fiddle to celtic and rangers
    IMO top 6 and at least 1 trip to hampden is an expectation.
    If we're to up our game we need to expect finals and top 2. If we can keep LD and NL then that should be our target.

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    And if he doesn't does that mean the club have no ambition?
    Possibly.It depends on whether they try or not.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Probably fighting relegation. Its the way it goes.
    That’s the spirit 👍🏼

I would be pleasantly surprised if we're in the Europa League group stage within the next 5 years.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Finishing 3rd/4th, reaching cup finals every few years and beating Hearts more often than not will do me just fine.

Being realistic, I'd say a successful next five years for us would be

Cups - two finals with one trophy

League - a couple of thirds, a couple of fourths and a top six

Europe - qualify three or four times and make it through a couple of rounds at least once.

Fantasy time would be two cup wins, a couple of seconds in the league and making the group stage in Europe once.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Although it’s great to aim high we are looking weak for next season imo as it stands

Following players loans will end or contract expire

Allan
    Barker
    Kamberi
    Maclaren
    Mcgeouch

Add that it’s very likely Mcginn will be away.

That’s half of our starting 11

@hibs.net private member
    Playing in revamped Europa League sections with 5 -7 home games. Top 4 in each section qualify for knock out stages. Hibs lying 7th in 12 or 14 club section. The sectional games generate TV revenue of £1.5million, home gates, £2-3 million and £50k per point. If Hibs qualify for 64 club knock out tourney will earn £750k per home game and £150 away game. The club are sitting in 3rd place in the 16 club Scottish Premier League only 3 points behind the leaders Aberdeen. Hibs planning on increasing stadium capacity to 30k as every home game sold out with 17.5k season ticket holders and 5 k waiting list