hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wenger

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Diaby was a fabulous prospect and looked like he could pick up the Vieira role. That horror injury at Sunderland pretty much did for him. Wenger has had more than his fair share of bad luck with long term injuries to key players.
    Perhaps due to his longevity, it’s difficult to compare him with anyone else.

He can certainly transform players. Arsenal had a defence that was legendary in its safety-first approach and he extended their careers and turned them into a back formation that played the ball out. Tony Adams goal against Everton that sealed the first Wenger title is a great example.

Without a doubt he had an eye for how to turn a player. Thierry Henry is the obvious example, losing his way as a winger until he was brought to Highbury. Vieira and a few others were under-performing as well, and then shone at Arsenal.

There are a few that didn’t work out though and it’s always amazed me how Arsenal, despite having shedloads of money, especially recently, always seemed to find it easier to buy a prettty attacking midfielder than an out-and-out scorer. Maybe that explains why they produce such sumptuous football but don’t win titles.

The stand-out for me is Davor Suker. There’s no way he shouldn’t have been a prolific scorer in the EPL yet it didn’t quite work out. Likewise with Eduardo and Baptista. Wenger never quite mastered the art of getting someone who would put it in the net other than Henry.

I first saw Arsenal in the early eighties, very different team. I followed them since then and I can honestly say that watching them under Wenger has given me the best experience of football at its most beautiful as I could imagine.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

He can certainly transform players. Arsenal had a defence that was legendary in its safety-first approach and he extended their careers and turned them into a back formation that played the ball out. Tony Adams goal against Everton that sealed the first Wenger title is a great example.

Without a doubt he had an eye for how to turn a player. Thierry Henry is the obvious example, losing his way as a winger until he was brought to Highbury. Vieira and a few others were under-performing as well, and then shone at Arsenal.

There are a few that didn’t work out though and it’s always amazed me how Arsenal, despite having shedloads of money, especially recently, always seemed to find it easier to buy a prettty attacking midfielder than an out-and-out scorer. Maybe that explains why they produce such sumptuous football but don’t win titles.

The stand-out for me is Davor Suker. There’s no way he shouldn’t have been a prolific scorer in the EPL yet it didn’t quite work out. Likewise with Eduardo and Baptista. Wenger never quite mastered the art of getting someone who would put it in the net other than Henry.

I first saw Arsenal in the early eighties, very different team. I followed them since then and I can honestly say that watching them under Wenger has given me the best experience of football at its most beautiful as I could imagine.
    The man is a legend,but its not just about about the sexy football and the 49ers it was also the way that he guided the club to top four finishes and the extra 25 million per season to get the new stadium debt under control and he done this while making a profit in the transfer window most seasons and he turned down Real Madrid to do so

the fact that Allegri and Simeone are even being mentioned for the job is partly to do with his legacy and the stadium that lights up the north london sky will always be a reminder of his massive impact on my football club
    Last edited by Same Sleeves; 20-04-2018 at 03:50 PM.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

Good summation although I would suggest that on the goal scoring front Wenger did eventually find a Henry like goal machine but then sold him to Man United

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Is he retiring or just leaving arsenal? No doubt there will be deluded Huns demanding they appoint him and give him 60 million to spend.
    Yup, you were right -

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topi...tlist/?page=49

'Has just confirmed he’ll step down at end of season, a year short of his contract. Wonder if we’ve spoken to him. He’d be my number one choice without a shadow of doubt and is head and shoulders above everyone else that has been suggested. Let’s do it!'

Once again their gross-arrogance is matched by their gross-stupidity - the Hun, still neck-and-neck with 'Still Game' for the title of 'Scotland's Best Comedy-act' !

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by erskine-hibby View Post
    Can't see them going for Rodgers, will want a bigger name.
    Now the bookies favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    Yup, you were right -

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topi...tlist/?page=49

'Has just confirmed he’ll step down at end of season, a year short of his contract. Wonder if we’ve spoken to him. He’d be my number one choice without a shadow of doubt and is head and shoulders above everyone else that has been suggested. Let’s do it!'

Once again their gross-arrogance is matched by their gross-stupidity - the Hun, still neck-and-neck with 'Still Game' for the title of 'Scotland's Best Comedy-act' !
    Absolutely mental. Truly live on another planet that lot.

I think they should go for Conte.

Like him or loathe him in my opinion if you were to pick an all time great Premier team a lot of Arsenal players from the Invincible team could be in it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Alan Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Now the bookies favourite.
    Interesting backdrop and distraction ahead of tomorrow's vital match.
    Rogers to Arsenal, Lennon to Celtic.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    The Wenger-Ferguson Arsenal-United rivalry/feud from 1998 to around 2005 was one of the best stories British football has produced for a long time. Both massive clubs, two great managers, and teams full of big characters and skillful players. Loads of memorable matches and moments. It was toxic at times, and Ferguson’s gracious words today can’t disguise the fact that there were times when the two men clearly couldn’t stand each other, but great respect as well.

Sad really that unlike Fergie Wenger will probably not go out a winner and he probably did stay too long. Still its the end of a great chapter in British football.

I'm just conflicted about him. I remember like it was yesterday when he was appointed, and the Arsène Who? headlines. Nobody appointed managers out of left field in those days. On one hand, he played football the way I like to see it played, and he signed lots of players that I really liked from European football; Arshavin, who was amazing for Zenit, Diaby, who had everything as a young player, Alexis Sanchez who, after his world cup displays, I expected to go to a bigger club. Some of them worked out, some of them didn't. He seemed to value skill and ball control above everything else.

In the other, he managed to come across as arrogant and disrespectful to his opponents in press conferences, and a bad loser. He sounded like a bit of a sad obsessive character, who spent his evenings glued to VHS of his opponents, even on his 60th birthday he told the press corps he'd not be going out, he'd be watching a bundesliga reserve game instead. But as time went by, his signings got less successful. Other managers seem to know the French market better than him now.

He could just never find a replacement for Viera.

Always came across to me as very ungracious in defeat and unwilling to accept any responsibility for anything that went wrong. His mantra of "I didnt see it" in response to players blatant diving or bad behaviour became ridiculous. Defending players is one thing but he made a career of defending the indefensible.

Surprised he's gone but per TV 90% of Arsenal fans were against him so probably knew his time was up. You cant argue with his track record but every manager has a shelf life, the astute ones know when its time to move on. Wengers arrogance and a Board in awe of him kept him in the job he should have left six or seven years ago.

No points away from home in the premier league this calendar year. That’s a shocker. Arsenal are soft as.

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post
    It was toxic at times, and Ferguson’s gracious words today can’t disguise the fact that there were times when the two men clearly couldn’t stand each other, but great respect as well.
    I always thought they both knew how to play the game. They knew what they were doing.

I posted on here last month after speaking to an old guy in the pub who told me Wenger was leaving and Brendan Rodgers was being lined up as his replacement with Lennon going to celtic.....hope not.....

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?3...t=#post5344877
    Last edited by CRAZYHIBBY; 21-04-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    I posted on here last month after speaking to an old guy in the pub who told me Wenger was leaving and Brendan Rodgers was being lined up as his replacement with Lennon going to celtic.....hope not.....

To be honest it didn’t take Nostradamus to predict a month ago that Wenger would be going this year.

id be absolutely astonished if Arsenal went for Rodgers. He wasn’t exactly a resounding success at Liverpool, a similarly sized club with similar wealth and assets

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post
    To be honest it didn’t take Nostradamus to predict a month ago that Wenger would be going this year.

id be absolutely astonished if Arsenal went for Rodgers. He wasn’t exactly a resounding success at Liverpool, a similarly sized club with similar wealth and assets
    He was 3 points off winning the league with Liverpool! An unbelievable achievemebt. But, I agree with you. Can't see Arsenal going for him.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    Always came across to me as very ungracious in defeat and unwilling to accept any responsibility for anything that went wrong. His mantra of "I didnt see it" in response to players blatant diving or bad behaviour became ridiculous. Defending players is one thing but he made a career of defending the indefensible.

Surprised he's gone but per TV 90% of Arsenal fans were against him so probably knew his time was up. You cant argue with his track record but every manager has a shelf life, the astute ones know when its time to move on. Wengers arrogance and a Board in awe of him kept him in the job he should have left six or seven years ago.
    This is pretty much how I see him. Jumped before he was pushed in my opinion.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar

And Alan Stubbs seems to making himself more visible lately !

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Well, Dermot Desmond claims Rodgers is favourite for the Arsenal job.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43840717

Brendan’s runaway ego will ensure he thinks he’s in the running. But it doesn’t mean Arsenal think the same.

Maybe the hierarchy at Celtc are bored of him already?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    He was 3 points off winning the league with Liverpool! An unbelievable achievemebt. But, I agree with you. Can't see Arsenal going for him.
    He came close that year (Suarez was incredible that season) but Levein’d it on the home straight! Overall no trophies and more poor seasons than good at anfield. I don’t think too many Liverpool fans were sorry to see the back of him.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Would say the chances of Arsenal being interested in Rodgers are almost next to nothing. His achievements in a league with no real competition won't bother an Arsenal board and the supporters would be unhappy with him. He was deemed not good enough in the end at Liverpool and that's all they will see.

Arsenal should look at Leonardo Jardim who would fit the bill. I'd imagine Max Allegri and Jogi Loew will be near the top of the list.