hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wenger

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great coach but should have left a few years ago. Can't help but feel his legacy will be slightly tarnished by hanging around those extra few years.
    This

2. Log in to remove the advert

If it's Rodgers, then Lennon to Celtic and Ross to us. Purely speculation but not beyond the realms.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    If it's Rodgers, then Lennon to Celtic and Ross to us. Purely speculation but not beyond the realms.
    Would be staggered if Rodgers got it.

Rodgers is currently 8/1. Really can't see it myself.

Wenger prided himself on polishing turds so to speak, coaching a young player into a great, this hasn't happened for a while and his comment about top 4 in the league as a bench mark wasn't his cleverest one. He refused to spend the money when it was there and neglected to do anything about a weak defence and never replaced Viera as the holding mid. He should've went about 4 seasons ago when Man City and Spurs started to become contenders and he assumed he'd always get his magic top 4 spot

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    The most unlikely could end up being Ross to us. He has already turned down Barnsley and Dundee during his tenure. Doesn't strike me as being in a rush to move.

I'm unsure of his contract situation but if there is any chance of compo then St Mirren will hold out for a decent wedge - they are keen to keep hold of him. I could see us being priced out in that case.
    Last edited by Wilson; 20-04-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    The most unlikely could end up being Ross to us. He has already turned down Barnsley and Dundee during his tenure. Doesn't strike me as being in a rush to move.

I'm unsure if his contract situation but if there is any chance of compo then St Mirren will hold out for a decent wedge - they are keen to keep hold of him. I could see us being priced out in that case.
    Just use the compo we'd get for Lennon in that scenario.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Would be staggered if Rodgers got it.
    Me too
    Think Arsenal will want want someone who will reunite the club. Don’t think Brendan is that man

Tuchel

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Correct decision but taken a year too late. He would have left a hero if he had taken his bow on the Wembley turf with the FA Cup, the vitriol directed at him by some this season has been quite sad although it does have to be accepted football fans are passionate and fickle.

The thing I always found strange about Wenger was he created the near perfect team. The seasons leading up to the Invincbles season and the season itself Arsenal were frighteningly good. They had an amazing balance of steel, defensive solidity and attacking flair. They were both great to watch and hard to beat. He then almost tore the whole thing up and started again, obviously losing Viera played a part in that but from then on Arsenal could still be good to watch but they were soft and fragile and he never seemed to address that.

There aren't many managers who leave a lasting legacy not just at their club but on football in the country as a whole and I think Wenger is one of that group. He was very different from what English football knew when he arrived here 20 odd years ago and other managers adapted to compete with him. Even Sir Alex famously backed down on his 'there will never be a sport scientist at Old trafford' comment when Arsenal started beating United to trophies.

If he wins the Europa League I imagine all will be forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Just use the compo we'd get for Lennon in that scenario.
    Easy come easy go? I doubt it.

The club will still look for value. Jack Ross isn't the only manager out there and just because we'd have to pay to get him doesn't guarantee he'd be a success.

Hypothetical. Like I say, I don't know his contractual situation.

I expect Lennon to be here for the foreseeable.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Next Arsenal manager odds (via Betfair)

10/3 Patrick Vieira

6/1 Carlo Ancelotti

6/1 Thomas Tuchel

7/1 Brendan Rodgers

15/2 Leonardo Jardim

8/1 Mikel Arteta

8/1 Joachim Low

8/1 Massimiliano Allegri

8/1 Rafael Benitez

10/1 Thierry Henry

10/1 Lucien Favre

11/1 Dennis Bergkamp

14/1 Diego Simeone

16/1 Sean Dyche

16/1 Luis Enrique

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

A great career all things considered, which plateaud after the move to the new stadium.

Arsene Wenger's Arsenal at Highbury were the first team out with Hibs that I loved to watch and even bought a few of their strips as a kid.

It'll be interesting to see who they get in, can imagine Arsenal would appeal to almost any manager in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post

10/3 Patrick Vieira

6/1 Carlo Ancelotti

6/1 Thomas Tuchel

7/1 Brendan Rodgers

15/2 Leonardo Jardim

8/1 Mikel Arteta

8/1 Joachim Low

8/1 Massimiliano Allegri

8/1 Rafael Benitez

10/1 Thierry Henry

10/1 Lucien Favre

11/1 Dennis Bergkamp

14/1 Diego Simeone

16/1 Sean Dyche

16/1 Luis Enrique
    Where’s Butcher?

If have a feeling Arsenal's issues are more at board level than with the manager. I can't see them competing for league titles for a long time.

One who won't properly be appreciated until he's gone. Let's wait and see how successful his successor is.

I'd bet my left bollock he'll be nowhere near as succesfull and transfomative as Wenger has been.

A legend.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Looking forward to hearing Rodgers deny any interest in the job whilst simultaneously desperately talking up his credentials.

In his own head, he is the outstanding candidate for the job.
    And a wonderful human being

If have a feeling Arsenal's issues are more at board level than with the manager. I can't see them competing for league titles for a long time.
    No big team in England is ever more than 2years away from a title challenge. Arsenal are a huge club who aren't going anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post

10/3 Patrick Vieira

6/1 Carlo Ancelotti

6/1 Thomas Tuchel

7/1 Brendan Rodgers

15/2 Leonardo Jardim

8/1 Mikel Arteta

8/1 Joachim Low

8/1 Massimiliano Allegri

8/1 Rafael Benitez

10/1 Thierry Henry

10/1 Lucien Favre

11/1 Dennis Bergkamp

14/1 Diego Simeone

16/1 Sean Dyche

16/1 Luis Enrique
    How about the guy at Bournemouth?

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Wenger prided himself on polishing turds so to speak, coaching a young player into a great, this hasn't happened for a while and his comment about top 4 in the league as a bench mark wasn't his cleverest one. He refused to spend the money when it was there and neglected to do anything about a weak defence and never replaced Viera as the holding mid. He should've went about 4 seasons ago when Man City and Spurs started to become contenders and he assumed he'd always get his magic top 4 spot
    He replaced Vieira with Gilberto Silva who was a sublime and fantastic player. Eventually Gilberto got too old and moved on and wasn’t adequately replaced. Wenger had a lot of faith in Abou Diaby and when he wasn’t injured he was brilliant. Unfortunately that only translates into a season and a half out of nine.

Ultimately that leadership role in central midfield hasn’t been filled. Despite that, Wenger has produced some of the most exquisite football I’ve ever seen. At one point it was Pires and Henry, now it’s Ozil and Ramsey, but they still conjure up goals that no other EPL team seem to be able to manage. Maybe not competing for the title but playing the most beautiful football.

The comments about his impact on the game I can only echo. Getting Tony Adams to eat broccoli is a bit of a laugh but his thinking completely transformed the game in England and he took a successful Arsenal back four and extended their careers by changing their game and their mindset. His influence on how football is played in the EPL cannot be overstated.

There was a thread a number of weeks ago that got into discussion about his replacement. My money then and now is on Leonardo Jardim. Tuchel I think wiould have been a candidate but will go to PSG or, hatchets will be buried and he will end up at Bayern Munich.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    He replaced Vieira with Gilberto Silva who was a sublime and fantastic player. Eventually Gilberto got too old and moved on and wasn’t adequately replaced. Wenger had a lot of faith in Abou Diaby and when he wasn’t injured he was brilliant. Unfortunately that only translates into a season and a half out of nine.

Ultimately that leadership role in central midfield hasn’t been filled. Despite that, Wenger has produced some of the most exquisite football I’ve ever seen. At one point it was Pires and Henry, now it’s Ozil and Ramsey, but they still conjure up goals that no other EPL team seem to be able to manage. Maybe not competing for the title but playing the most beautiful football.

The comments about his impact on the game I can only echo. Getting Tony Adams to eat broccoli is a bit of a laugh but his thinking completely transformed the game in England and he took a successful Arsenal back four and extended their careers by changing their game and their mindset. His influence on how football is played in the EPL cannot be overstated.

There was a thread a number of weeks ago that got into discussion about his replacement. My money then and now is on Leonardo Jardim. Tuchel I think wiould have been a candidate but will go to PSG or, hatchets will be buried and he will end up at Bayern Munich.
    Diaby was a fabulous prospect and looked like he could pick up the Vieira role. That horror injury at Sunderland pretty much did for him. Wenger has had more than his fair share of bad luck with long term injuries to key players.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Where’s Butcher?
    IN a hole somewhere away from football, it's better for everyone that way

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    How about the guy at Bournemouth?
    I only copied and pasted from an article I was reading, Eddie Howe might be considered but don't think he is the sort of 'name' gooners will be looking for.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

I'd go for Sean Dyche. His Burnley side are almost as good as Arsenal, but on a fraction of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    Rodgers is currently 8/1. Really can't see it myself.
    Is he quoted for Chelski? Told he is on a list of 4 they have to replace Conte

That would suit me. I’d miss their supporters’ perpetual whining.

Goods words from Fergie here:

"I am really happy for Arsene Wenger. I have great respect for him and for the job he has done at Arsenal. It is great testament to his talent, professionalism and determination that has been able to dedicate 22 years of his life to a job that he loves.

In an era where football managers sometimes only last one or two seasons, it shows what an achievement it is to serve that length of time at a club the size of Arsenal.

I am pleased that he has announced he is leaving at this stage of the season, as he can now have the send-off that he truly deserves.

He is, without doubt, one the greatest Premier League managers and I am proud to have been a rival, a colleague and a friend to such a great man."
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Goods words from Fergie here:

"I am really happy for Arsene Wenger. I have great respect for him and for the job he has done at Arsenal. It is great testament to his talent, professionalism and determination that has been able to dedicate 22 years of his life to a job that he loves.

In an era where football managers sometimes only last one or two seasons, it shows what an achievement it is to serve that length of time at a club the size of Arsenal.

I am pleased that he has announced he is leaving at this stage of the season, as he can now have the send-off that he truly deserves.

He is, without doubt, one the greatest Premier League managers and I am proud to have been a rival, a colleague and a friend to such a great man."
    Class act.

(BTW, surely a misquote there. Should be "pwoud"? )

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    I would like to see Allegri take the job.

Wenger should have gone a while back but I hope he lifts the Europa League in his last season, would be a fitting send off to a man who really changed the football landscape in England.

Legend.

I hope he clears off and leaves the next guy to get on with it...Fergie is still hanging around old Trafford like a bad smell. I felt it really undermined David Moyes at Man U when Fergie was constantly being name checked at press conferences and looking over Moyes like an over bearing father in law

I'd go for Sean Dyche. His Burnley side are almost as good as Arsenal, but on a fraction of the cost.
    Way too early for that. I can't see him attracting top players.