hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar

New York(Manhattan) Accomodation???

Anyone have recommendations for hotel accommodation in New York.
    I've recently booked flights as they were coming in OKish (£330 per skull direct) but then realised it's such a big place and I know literally nothing about the Big Apple.
    We're going for our anniversary, from a Thursday to Sunday so we're after somewhere decent(ish), a view would be lovely, no set budget but hoping to get a nice room for less than £300 a night.

I've seen there were other threads asking similar but they're a few years old now, wondering if anyone has been more recently?

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    When are you going?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When are you going?
    End of August (30th I think) for 3 nights.

Mrs and I were going to go a few years ago for our honeymoon, we were booked into a Novotel on Times Square, don’t think the prices were too bad. Looked a lovely hotel and great location.

hope you have a brilliant time

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Row NYC was where I stayed in 2016.

Good location, and was reasonably priced I think. It was probably a bit on the basic side though if you're looking to treat yourself.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Hotel Ameritania at Times Square worth a look. Stayed there last year. Great location, reasonably priced.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I’ve stayed in the Broadway Plaza and the Nyma hotel recently. Both pretty decent locations, the Broadway Plaza had a great view of the Empire State Building. The Nyma was decent enough, was right beside the ESB in the middle of Korea town but it was that close that you couldn’t see it. Was also pretty basic but was clean and that’s all that bothers me really.

If you’re flying into JFK make sure you get a yellow cab from the airport. They charge a fixed rate into Manhattan of around $58 I think it is? Where as people will try and get you into other types of taxis before you get to the yellow cab stand - they’ll charge you over double that.

Also, make sure you tell them it’s your anniversary plenty time before you go and ask them for a free upgrade - I know it sounds cheeky but I ask every time I go to America and find some excuse for it, whether it be bdays etc and we near enough always get something if you ask in plenty time.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 19-04-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

If you’re flying into JFK make sure you get a yellow cab from the airport.
    We're flying with United in to EWR, think we're getting the train from there to Penn Station.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Stayed in the financial district, Hilton in Stone Street last time. Great access to the metro even though a bit away. Reasonably priced for a NY hotel.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I’d recommend both the Nolitan in Nolita or Andaz Wall Street in the Down Town financial district. Neither are in touristy bits of Mid Town but we like that. Both do/did a ‘wine hour’ where you got unlimited ‘free’ wine for a couple of hours at tea time. I believe the Andaz has stopped that though.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    We stayed in La Quinta Inn, it was on 32nd street so very central. We were just a few streets away from the Empire State Building, a 10/15 walk to Times Square, the bus stop for the bus tour was at the end of our street and we got breakfast included which we found a lot of places don’t do. It also has a lovely wee rooftop bar.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    The Hudson is close to Central Park, Trump Tower, Broadway, Times Square. Scenes from Sex And The City were filmed there. Has a roof terrace with views.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    You'll get just about anything you want with that budget.

For example, the Luna in Times Square is meant to be a good hotel and that's coming in at below £300 pn.

I'm a long term member of hotels.com and I get discounts on a lot of rooms.

If you want, I can book something for you and you can transfer the cost to me.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've been a few times..The last couple I've stayed over in Williamsburg..Once in an air bnb & the other time in a motel (so not what your looking for)..I'm not that fussed for Time Square or that, once you have seen it (amazing as it is) its kinda tacky..I've stayed down in Little Italy I think it was the Sohotel..Rightbeside Chinatown too..I like it down Lower East side/Grenwich Village as theres some great bars, like music (see if anythings on at the Bowrey Ballroom)..Suppose thats why I like Williamsburg..Defo worth a walk over Williamsburg Bridge & head over to Bedford Avenue...Very Hipster very quirky..Again some great places to eat & hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    You'll get just about anything you want with that budget.

For example, the Luna in Times Square is meant to be a good hotel and that's coming in at below £300 pn.

I'm a long term member of hotels.com and I get discounts on a lot of rooms.

If you want, I can book something for you and you can transfer the cost to me.
    I've had a a very brief look on hotels.com (have bagged some good secret prices in the past with them) but was really looking for personal recommendations here as I was a bit overwhelmed when confronted with the volume of hotels available and I genuinely don't know the City at all.

I think as it's our first time and just sticking the toe in the water we'll probably end up around Times Sq/7th Avenue but I'm really intrigued by the sound of Lower East Side and Williamsburg. There's no doubt I'll end up on the bus tour and will sight see but in my experience the best way to get a feel for a city is through it's bars and restaurants,,,,strating to look forward to it.

Also Mr Radge, I seem to remember you were in Miami last year or thereabouts, I'm staying there for 3 days in July (The Betsy/South Beach), just wondering if you had any recommmendations for there, must do's etc!
    I think you should change your handle to Judith Chalmers

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    I've had a a very brief look on hotels.com (have bagged some good secret prices in the past with them) but was really looking for personal recommendations here as I was a bit overwhelmed when confronted with the volume of hotels available and I genuinely don't know the City at all.

I think as it's our first time and just sticking the toe in the water we'll probably end up around Times Sq/7th Avenue but I'm really intrigued by the sound of Lower East Side and Williamsburg. There's no doubt I'll end up on the bus tour and will sight see but in my experience the best way to get a feel for a city is through it's bars and restaurants,,,,strating to look forward to it.

Also Mr Radge, I seem to remember you were in Miami last year or thereabouts, I'm staying there for 3 days in July (The Betsy/South Beach), just wondering if you had any recommmendations for there, must do's etc!
    I think you should change your handle to Judith Chalmers
    The Betsy is lovely. Great location right on Ocean Drive. I’ve been to Miami more times than I can even count yet I couldn’t tell you what to do as I end up just lazing around the whole time

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Mrs and I were going to go a few years ago for our honeymoon, we were booked into a Novotel on Times Square, don’t think the prices were too bad. Looked a lovely hotel and great location.

hope you have a brilliant time
    I stayed there last year and it’s a great hotel. Brilliant location. If you stay from the twenty second floor up (might be wrong!) the views are stunning!

Also stayed in one near Maddison Square Gardens that was pretty good. Can’t remember it’s name though!

My parents stayed at the Avalon iirc next to the ESB when they visited in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    I've been a few times..The last couple I've stayed over in Williamsburg..Once in an air bnb & the other time in a motel (so not what your looking for)..I'm not that fussed for Time Square or that, once you have seen it (amazing as it is) its kinda tacky..I've stayed down in Little Italy I think it was the Sohotel..Rightbeside Chinatown too..I like it down Lower East side/Grenwich Village as theres some great bars, like music (see if anythings on at the Bowrey Ballroom)..Suppose thats why I like Williamsburg..Defo worth a walk over Williamsburg Bridge & head over to Bedford Avenue...Very Hipster very quirky..Again some great places to eat & hang out.

Air BnB are illegal in Manhattan. In general first time visitors always head for the times square area which is great as your a tourist and you should do what tourists do but agree in principle. The subway system is that good that next time I'm there I defo think I'll look at staying in Brooklyn if I fly into JFK as some bargains to be had. If your looking at staying in midtown Manhattan though than check out the holiday inns for a cheap deal. Holiday Inn New York City on 8th Avenue has fantastic views of the empire state building if you book a room on a high up floor. Check out tripadvisor for pictures and reviews .

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    I stayed at the Hotel Elysee for about $450 per night and it is very nice with great location. Their rooms were a bit on the small side which is fairly typical for Manhattan. Last time we stayed in the Peninsula but it's way too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    This. When you step out the metro station at Times Square its jaw-dropping, but after an hour or two of wandering and a few vastly overpriced drinks the novelty wears off. You could stay at Times Sq for a week and hardly meet another New Yorker, its just tourist central. When I was across last year we stayed at an AirBnB in Prospect Heights at Brooklyn just up from the Barclays Centre. Great place and vibe, alot more bang for your buck aswell. 15-20 mins on the metro to Manhattan.