hibs.net Messageboard

Scottish grand national

I’m heading down there on Saturday with the family.. fair looking forward to it but must admit to being no expert.. I’ve read a few posters on here who seem to be quite knowledgeable so to cut to the chase can you all post your tips for any of the races but particularly the main one.. cheers in advance..

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    I know nothing about horses, like yourself I read stuff on here about some of the races/meetings and follow some of the tips/advice.

Pretty Boy etc will have way better info than me but for what it’s worth I’m on -

Folsom Blue, Daklondike, Fagan and Vicente

First 3 are each way tips from various pals and Vicente I placed as a free bet on Paddypower as it won this very race the last two years.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Haven't looled at the field but Vicente will have a chance.

It was on my shortlist for Aintree until it was withdrawn due to the going.

Cheers.. Daklondike and the young master caught my eye but looking for more advice..

According to something I read earlier 10 of the last 13 winners carried 10st 9lbs or less.

Both of Trevor Hemmings horses will be in the running: Vicente and Vintage Clouds. The latter looks particularly well treated with the weights.

I’d also be looking at Fagan for Gordon Elliot. I’ve always thought The Young Master looks the type to pick up a marathon staying race and both he and Lovely Job look interesting options at longer odds.

The Scottish Champion Hurdle is usually a good race but there’s still a lot of horses in at the moment who won’t run so I’m wary of suggesting anything until declarations in the coming days.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haven't looked at the field but Vicente will have a chance.

It was on my shortlist for Aintree until it was withdrawn due to the going.
    Just looked at the current field.

Vicente 2nd top weight but still carrying less than last year so will have a good chance.

Agree with Pretty Boy that Vintage Clouds and Lovely Job look to have a chance given what they are carrying.

I bet on Vintage Clouds at the start of the week. Would have snuk in the Aintree National if reserves weren’t closed so early. Nice weight and has been running well also season including at Cheltenham and in the Welsh National.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I quite like backing a novice chaser in the Scottish National, at this stage of the season they’ve generally had a fair bit of experience and are normally a bit lower in the weights.

United we stand here....

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    I’m heading down there on Saturday with the family.. fair looking forward to it but must admit to being no expert.. I’ve read a few posters on here who seem to be quite knowledgeable so to cut to the chase can you all post your tips for any of the races but particularly the main one.. cheers in advance..
    1 I like the look of is Looking Well ew at 20-1,was gonna hose up at Musselburgh on his last start until the horse jinked badly going to the last fence and threw the jockey off!! Only got 10-5 on its back so given a good clear round he must have every chance of a place,enjoy!!

Thanks for your reply’s.. I’ve tried to read the form and I’m going for glencairn view E/W 18/1 .. might throw on another thinking Fagan or vintage clouds..

The 2 I've been looking at are Gold Present and Sizing Tennessee. Gold Present's carrying a big weight and is unproven over the trip but IMO he'll stay and it looks as if he's been put away for this. Sizing Tennessee is a bold jumping front runner, and he could well sort out the men from the boys, so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    Thanks for your reply’s.. I’ve tried to read the form and I’m going for glencairn view E/W
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I quite like backing a novice chaser in the Scottish National, at this stage of the season they’ve generally had a fair bit of experience and are normally a bit lower in the weights.
    Excellent shout with a novice winning. Hope you were on.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Excellent shout with a novice winning. Hope you were on.
    Sadly not mate. I had a look at it but I couldn’t see it winning. Courage in my convictions is not a quality I possess

United we stand here....

Cheers for the reply’s.. no winners but Hibs winning more than made up for it..

Vintage Clouds ran another excellent race and you’ve got to think a big handicap is just around the corner for him.