hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee16 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good point. People forget how young footballers actually are.
    That is the big dilemma for any person hoping to make a career / get rich in professional sport. By its very nature at the very time when you want to be distracted by wine women and song you have to put it all on the back burner if you have ambition to fully maximize your potential. For some folk their natural talent will carry them through to an extent .... George Best, Gazza etc, but even those guys were found out eventually.

Stokes has had a pretty decent career when you look at his medal haul and he will always be a legend here on the back of one game. But the truth is if he had been Anthony Stokes with the professional attitude of Lewis Stevenson to go with the talent he would be kicking it on a beach somewhere with far more zeros in his bank balance than he has now.

I cant see any club in the top divisions of British football taking a chance on him .... He isn't famous enough to make a living writing books about himself or as a football pundit and I doubt he has the aptitude for coaching .. how the hell can someone with his record expect to be respected by kids or pros he would be in charge of? ... especially if he had to discipline anyone for being late or not turning up for training.

The future for AS so far as I can see is working in his family boozer in Dublin and if he thinks being a professional footballer is a hard shift he will be in for a bloody shock if he's asked to run a pub.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    That is the big dilemma for any person hoping to make a career / get rich in professional sport. By its very nature at the very time when you want to be distracted by wine women and song you have to put it all on the back burner if you have ambition to fully maximize your potential. For some folk their natural talent will carry them through to an extent .... George Best, Gazza etc, but even those guys were found out eventually.

Stokes has had a pretty decent career when you look at his medal haul and he will always be a legend here on the back of one game. But the truth is if he had been Anthony Stokes with the professional attitude of Lewis Stevenson to go with the talent he would be kicking it on a beach somewhere with far more zeros in his bank balance than he has now.

I cant see any club in the top divisions of British football taking a chance on him .... He isn't famous enough to make a living writing books about himself or as a football pundit and I doubt he has the aptitude for coaching .. how the hell can someone with his record expect to be respected by kids or pros he would be in charge of? ... especially if he had to discipline anyone for being late or not turning up for training.

The future for AS so far as I can see is working in his family boozer in Dublin and if he thinks being a professional footballer is a hard shift he will be in for a bloody shock if he's asked to run a pub.
    He will have enough money not to have to work another day in his life if he wanted to I'd imagine. He would have earned a relative fortune in his years at Celtic and Sunderland and probably got a decent signing on fee at Blackburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    He will have enough money not to have to work another day in his life if he wanted to I'd imagine. He would have earned a relative fortune in his years at Celtic and Sunderland and probably got a decent signing on fee at Blackburn.
    Given the fact that this was a guy allegedly borrowing money from youth team players at one point does it strike you as likely he has millions sitting in a bank account or a pension plan he has fastidiously contributed to over the years? You are probably correct about his earnings over the years, sadly the question 'how much does he still have left?' is an entirely different matter.

Left by mutual consent!

A lot of that is true but then there’s the other part where his natural talent has earned him a fortune before he was even a proper grown adult and that’s all he’s used to. Lewis has had to work very hard for the career he has had, Stokes got given it through ability so he’s never had to work hard. If he had to he would probably appreciate the sacrifice needed more.

Left by mutual consent!
    Given the fact that this was a guy allegedly borrowing money from youth team players at one point does it strike you as likely he has millions sitting in a bank account or a pension plan he has fastidiously contributed to over the years? You are probably correct about his earnings over the years, sadly the question 'how much does he still have left?' is an entirely different matter.
    Wasn’t that prior to going to Celtic on a massive contract?

Allegedly borrowing money before he went to Celtic and spent 6 years there probably earning a small fortune in a basic wage plus goal bonuses , win bonuses and bonuses for winning trophies. To suggest his future is working in his dad's pub would seem a little strange to me, he will have enough money to allow him to do things 99 percent of the population can't.

He's a very naughty boy....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastHibby View Post
    He's a very naughty boy....
    ....... but the Messiah on one very significant occasion.

Something seriously not right with him .... to have what he has got and waste himself.the way he.does !!???

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It’s sad to see someone with his talent not be able to keep a lid on his off field life. He’ll always be a legend for me, and I wish him all the best in sorting himself out. It’s not too late for him, but he’s running out of time fast.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is the family boozer in fairview still there? I thought it had burnt down.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    He was in Lulu’s last Friday which I thought strange as assumed he’d have been playing the following day
    Grass

Bad boy before.

Bad boy after.

On one glorious day in May 2016 he was a footballing god.

Whatever happened before or since you cannot take that day away from him.

Absolute Hibs legend.

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I find the sanctimony of some fans a bit annoying sometimes. Particularly when I know some of the antics they get up to in their own lives. On a personal level, I took a lot of twists and turns in my own life in my twenties before i 'settled down' in any understood sense. I couldn't deliver Hibs the Holy grail like Stokesy but I'm fairly sure I could have kept up with him on a night out...

Wasters are human too
    That's the paradox, and it's almost pointless guessing what kind of player he could have been if he wasn't the player he was. He wasn't (Stokes' talent with Lewis' dedication mixed in a test tube somewhere, now you're talking...)

But that final, that game, I'm convinced the very top defenders in world football would have struggled to stop him. Scott Brown, Thomson, Fletcher, they've all played that well on occasion, in run of the mill SPL games, but on the biggest stage, the biggest game of all, to play like that? If you judge players on how they handle the biggest games, Stokes is an all time Hibs great.

It's worth remembering that guys like him will have still had to work hard to become a footballer in the first place. After years of playing football every week, he is possibly just fed up of playing. Just because he's exceptionally good at it doesn't mean he necessarily wants to do it that much.

As much as anything, personalities like his make football more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Flawed legend.

Not many men could become one of my all time favourite Hibs players for a 90 minutes performance.
    Just adds another chapter to the greatest story ever told. The bampot striker, the fat goalie, the comeback at Tynie, the captain scoring in injury time, exuberance. Our grand kids won’t believe a word of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee16 View Post
    Some boy (save the link to the Record)

Former Celtic striker Anthony Stokes in trouble again after going missing at Apollon Smyrni

Stokes hasn't been seen all week at the Greek club and bosses say they are in the dark over his disappearance.

Anthony Stokes is in trouble with his bosses at Greek side Apollon Smyrni after going AWOL.
    And the former Celtic and Hibs striker has been warned he'd better apologise if he hopes to have any future with the club.

The controversial Irish international left Easter Road at the last transfer window after Hibs boss Neil Lennon finally lost patience with Stokes after an incident involving a fire extinguisher during their Algarve winter training camp.
    He signed for Greek Super League side Apollon, who are battling against relegation, but he's been unable to score in the four games he's played for them so far. And this week, Stokes has failed to turn up for training all week to the bemusement of manager Georgios Paraschos.

He said: "Stokes has not appeared at training for the past three days. We will be seeking an apology. This is unacceptable.
    "We have had no explanation from him."

Stokes has already been fined by Apollon last month after taking additional time off from training to resolve a 'personal matter.'
    The Legend's deffo not missing. I met him in Le Monde last saturday night. 😁👍🍺🍺🇳🇬🇳🇬

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    Just adds another chapter to the greatest story ever told. The bampot striker, the fat goalie, the comeback at Tynie, the captain scoring in injury time, exuberance. Our grand kids won’t believe a word of it.
    The perfect filmscript if ever there was one.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    He was doing some boxing workouts at Holyrood Gym this afternoon, so at least he’s keeping himself fit. Picture on Twitter looks like he hadn’t a care in the world.

4F28287A-40D3-49AF-A25F-07B1562CA138.jpg
    Last edited by Carheenlea; 13-04-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    He was doing some boxing workouts at Holyrood Gym this afternoon, so at least he’s keeping himself fit. Picture on Twitter looks like he hadn’t a care in the world.

Get him back in the summer.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post

Maybe that's his 'problem', he just doesn't give a shirt about anything.

Free as a bird.

In 30 or 40 years' time do people seriously think that when the name Anthony Stokes gets brought up, people will automatically think about the negatives?

Of course they won't.

His name will be inextricably linked with the greatest day in this club's modern history and that's how we should remember Anthony Stokes. Yes he's a flawed character but so are many other good football players.

Do I think we're better off without him now? Yes.

That doesn't mean I don't have fond memories of him.

I wish him all the best in whatever he chooses to do in life.

What SDG said.

Yeah 100%

This guy has literally changed my life in many ways as I take it others to

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Won the Scottish Cup with Hibs. How any Hibs fan can come out with the "waste of space" chat is beyond me.

He was at his more or less unplayable best against Ross County over Xmas time and I, for one, am glad I got to see him in that form 1 last time.

His time with us is finito, but what a legend.
    Absolutely will forever love the guy no matter what he does from here on in...absolute cup winning legend. Maybe he just can't be bothered being a footballer anymore...but he will be spoken of fondly forever down Leith

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That's me off again lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    The perfect filmscript if ever there was one.
    Absolutely.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    In 30 or 40 years' time do people seriously think that when the name Anthony Stokes gets brought up, people will automatically think about the negatives?

Of course they won't.

His name will be inextricably linked with the greatest day in this club's modern history and that's how we should remember Anthony Stokes. Yes he's a flawed character but so are many other good football players.

Do I think we're better off without him now? Yes.

That doesn't mean I don't have fond memories of him.

I wish him all the best in whatever he chooses to do in life.

Absolutely.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

I find the sanctimony of some fans a bit annoying sometimes. Particularly when I know some of the antics they get up to in their own lives. On a personal level, I took a lot of twists and turns in my own life in my twenties before i 'settled down' in any understood sense. I couldn't deliver Hibs the Holy grail like Stokesy but I'm fairly sure I could have kept up with him on a night out...

Wasters are human too
    Aye but it's his job FFS. All very well straying off the straight and narrow, which we all might be liable to do in our personal lives, but do it repeatedly in the work environment and it's jotters time. Do it with repeated employers and it's dole time. Always liked him as a player but as NL said, he's had multiple chances. Sympathy has run out. That said, will still always be a cup winning Hibs legend.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Love the guy will always be a hero after May 2016 and thats how I will always personally remember him. Can be a bit of berk though and no doubt he could have achieved a lot more in the game if he had applied himself properly, a great talent not always realised apart from 21/05/16 when he achieved immortality.