hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Complete waste of a god-given talent.

Thank goodness he's such a waster or he'd never have been near Hibs.
    End of.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    Stokes is a textbook example of someone being a legend and a waste of space at the same time. He’ll forever be a club legend for his contribution on that day, but lets face it, he has always been a loose cannon who seems to be hellbent on self destruction. His only real success since May 2016 has been to royally piss off the one man in NL who seemed capable of understanding him and getting the best out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I find the sanctimony of some fans a bit annoying sometimes. Particularly when I know some of the antics they get up to in their own lives. On a personal level, I took a lot of twists and turns in my own life in my twenties before i 'settled down' in any understood sense. I couldn't deliver Hibs the Holy grail like Stokesy but I'm fairly sure I could have kept up with him on a night out...

Wasters are human too
    Post of the year

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Is he completely off our books? I hope we don't have any wage obligation to him if they punt him.

Coaching Staff
    I find the sanctimony of some fans a bit annoying sometimes. Particularly when I know some of the antics they get up to in their own lives. On a personal level, I took a lot of twists and turns in my own life in my twenties before i 'settled down' in any understood sense. I couldn't deliver Hibs the Holy grail like Stokesy but I'm fairly sure I could have kept up with him on a night out...

Wasters are human too
    That's a good and very true post bollah - but for many it's not that Stokesy was/is a waster, more that he seriously has the talent to go to the top of the game, especially when you see some of the so-called 'talent' on display in the EPL down south. A bit like Derek, both of them were naturally gifted footballers with more skill in their little toe than many of the footballers we watch on the box.

It's a short career that does mean you have to sacrifice things that you and me and joe public haven't had to - which must be difficult when you are a star name with lots of money (for one so young too).

Just wish he could have screwed the nut and proved many wrong. But the day in May will forever be his legacy amongst Hibs fans which is the most important thing........I watched the final again recently and Stokes could have had 4 or 5 goals that day too, it was an immense performance

To be honest, Greek football is in a right mess.

Players from Panathinaikos have effectively gone on strike because they haven't been paid money from last season.

The whole League programme was suspended after the President of PAOK Thessaloniki stormed on to the pitch to protest a referees decision with a holstered handgun on his hip.

The President of Olympiacos suspended most of the first team after a Twitter row following a Europa defeat by Atletico Madrid.

The whole thing appears to be on the verge of collapse.

Is anyone really surprised by this story, he's finished in the game now, no one will touch him with a barge pole.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post

Players from Panathinaikos have effectively gone on strike because they haven't been paid money from last season.

The whole League programme was suspended after the President of PAOK Thessaloniki stormed on to the pitch to protest a referees decision with a holstered handgun on his hip.

The President of Olympiacos suspended most of the first team after a Twitter row following a Europa defeat by Atletico Madrid.

yes, I've just been reading about that, Olympiakos/Panathaniakos both in real trouble, not paying their players. As the Greek economy has collapsed so its now affecting even the millionaires at the top of the pyramid. I think its the Olympiakos owner who also owns Nottingham Forest and has been the subject of a few criminal investigations as well.

Despite the Mythos and the weather, Greece might not have been the best destination for Stokesy.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Is anyone really surprised by this story, he's finished in the game now, no one will touch him with a barge pole.

hertz are taking on players just now looking to top up their pension pots

In Neil and Leeanne we trust .

He’s a flawed hero.

Could have had it all, but could never screw the nut, and given his talent, wasted his career.

For us however he’s a real hero, and will forever be a club legend. Never seen a performance like that in a Hibs shirt in my life, and I really hope he can do something with the rest of his career.

Feel for the guy.

Coaching Staff
    Unfortunately you may well be right.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post

Aye, but at least they don't have a split.

From what I remember, there is a lazy gene in the body that makes you not give 100% all the time. I have it, I´m supposed to be working the noo. Maybe its all doon tae genetics

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    That's a good and very true post bollah - but for many it's not that Stokesy was/is a waster, more that he seriously has the talent to go to the top of the game, especially when you see some of the so-called 'talent' on display in the EPL down south. A bit like Derek, both of them were naturally gifted footballers with more skill in their little toe than many of the footballers we watch on the box.

It's a short career that does mean you have to sacrifice things that you and me and joe public haven't had to - which must be difficult when you are a star name with lots of money (for one so young too).

Just wish he could have screwed the nut and proved many wrong. But the day in May will forever be his legacy amongst Hibs fans which is the most important thing........I watched the final again recently and Stokes could have had 4 or 5 goals that day too, it was an immense performance
    Perhaps he knows that he will never better that performance. Or like his dad said (after a few drinks), on that day "why can't you play like that every week".

Seen him on George Street a couple of weeks ago but assumed he was back home given what’s been occurring in Greek football recently. Anyway, absolute legend and nothing else to add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1969 View Post
    Stokes is a textbook example of someone being a legend and a waste of space at the same time. He’ll forever be a club legend for his contribution on that day, but lets face it, he has always been a loose cannon who seems to be hellbent on self destruction. His only real success since May 2016 has been to royally piss off the one man in NL who seemed capable of understanding him and getting the best out of him.

Calling Stokes a waste of space

I had to laugh when he went to Greece. It was only a matter of time before things went wrong. He's just not a very smart guy but what the hell.

We cherish his memory!

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Absolute waste of a career. Done this at Hibs many times. Saying he needed more time off etc.. He simply hates training and will do anything to get out of it.

Thank god we are shot of him.
    Waste of a career!! Nah, He’s played and won trophies for his boyhood hero’s then broke the biggest Scottish cup hoodoo with a man of the match performance for Hibs. The guys a Legend! A bit of a bomb scare but hardly wasted his career. If he was the consummate professional he’d most likely never have played for Hibs.
    Last edited by mentalhibee; 13-04-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle1875 View Post
    He’s a flawed hero.

Could have had it all, but could never screw the nut, and given his talent, wasted his career.

For us however he’s a real hero, and will forever be a club legend. Never seen a performance like that in a Hibs shirt in my life, and I really hope he can do something with the rest of his career.

Feel for the guy.
    Again, I don't understand how he's wasted his career? He's 29 played in the EPL, played for his boyhood club scoring 135 goals, winning numerous stuff, played for his country, won the English Championship, won the SPFL Prem 4 times, Scottish Cup 3 times including 2 man of the match performance in the final, league cup, goal of the season.

That's some career to have wasted.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1969 View Post
    He's not the first and won't be the last in this world.

I've often wondered if it's the self-destruct chromosome is part and parcel of the outstanding talent these people have or if they are two separate entities.
    As they say, "there's a fine line between genius and madness."

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Wasters are human too

That is one way of looking at it, but I think that a lot of what is said comes not from being intentionally judgemental or indeed sanctimonious as you say, but more from a deep frustration of what we could have achieved with him in the team, week in and week out at the top of his game. The paradox being that a quality player like Stokes performing week in and week out at the top of is game, is EPL quality, not SPL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee16 View Post
    Again, I don't understand how he's wasted his career? He's 29 played in the EPL, played for his boyhood club scoring 135 goals, winning numerous stuff, played for his country, won the English Championship, won the SPFL Prem 4 times, Scottish Cup 3 times including 2 man of the match performance in the final, league cup, goal of the season.

That's some career to have wasted.
    true. Probably the wrong use of words. Just disappointed I suppose given his age is when strikers are meant to be in their prime. Just wish he could have screwed the nut, and played in his prime helping us get to 2nd, and become even more of a legend playing for us in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by mentalhibee View Post
    Waste of a career!! Nah, He’s played and won trophies for his boyhood hero’s then broke the biggest Scottish cup hoodoo with a man of the match performance for Hibs. The guys a Legend! A bit of a bomb scare but hardly wasted his career. If he was the consummate professional he’d most likely never have played for Hibs.
    Aye right enough.

Won the Scottish Cup with Hibs. How any Hibs fan can come out with the "waste of space" chat is beyond me.

He was at his more or less unplayable best against Ross County over Xmas time and I, for one, am glad I got to see him in that form 1 last time.

His time with us is finito, but what a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    Sure i saw his white Audi at East Mains...or was it his?
    I’m not being sarcastic, I genuinely thought it was stokes on Corstorphine road and have heard from others he was back in town

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    That is one way of looking at it, but I think that a lot of what is said comes not from being intentionally judgemental or indeed sanctimonious as you say, but more from a deep frustration of what we could have achieved with him in the team, week in and week out at the top of his game. The paradox being that a quality player like Stokes performing week in and week out at the top of is game, is EPL quality, not SPL.
    That's the paradox, and it's almost pointless guessing what kind of player he could have been if he wasn't the player he was. He wasn't (Stokes' talent with Lewis' dedication mixed in a test tube somewhere, now you're talking...)

But that final, that game, I'm convinced the very top defenders in world football would have struggled to stop him. Scott Brown, Thomson, Fletcher, they've all played that well on occasion, in run of the mill SPL games, but on the biggest stage, the biggest game of all, to play like that? If you judge players on how they handle the biggest games, Stokes is an all time Hibs great.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 13-04-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle1875 View Post
    true. Probably the wrong use of words. Just disappointed I suppose given his age is when strikers are meant to be in their prime. Just wish he could have screwed the nut, and played in his prime helping us get to 2nd, and become even more of a legend playing for us in Europe.
    I agree.

Stokesy can walk away from the game today and be relatively satisfied with what he has achieved in his career.
    There is life outside football and he will survive, albeit on less money than he's been used to.
    He has experienced a life most of us can only dream of - doing what he loved, but eventually fell out of love with.
    I will always think of the positive and what he gave us on that special day in May.

Good luck in all that you do from here on, Stokesy!.

Hibs legend.