hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    who happened to turn out to be a good solid reliable stop-gap tbf, i'm sure we've had worse
    Maybury was ok in a piss-poor hibs side. Probably at the same level they are at now.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee16 View Post
    Maybury was ok in a piss-poor hibs side. Probably at the same level they are at now.
    Yep. That's where i was coming from. Bog standard run of the mill player signing towards the end of his career. We've had worse than Maybury.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    Yep. That's where i was coming from. Bog standard run of the mill player signing towards the end of his career. We've had worse than Maybury.
    Ive been saying for a while they’ve turned into hibs from 5 or 6 years ago.

***** foreigners, loan players that don’t care and now signing old average never has beens.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

***** foreigners, loan players that don’t care and now signing old average never has beens.
    Big team though

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm just lapping up the level playing-field that's been so brilliant for us and so lethal for them - absolutely amazing what's happened to the 'Big team' now they're cut-off from 'Other People's Money' - even their 'Mystery Donor' hasn't been able to prevent their plummet from 'Big' to 'Irrelevant' !

Mind the gap, Muppps - GGTTH !

He's ***** and finished. Another addition to the nursery club. Sainta fans all want him punted.
    He also scored the winner against us at Easter Road a few months back !

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    He also scored the winner against us at Easter Road a few months back !
    That’ll be the only reason Levein wants to sign him.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Hopefully their Rowan Vine.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Great news. Shows exactly how deep their pockets are.

Coaching Staff
    I'll go against the grain here and say that SM would be a good signing for them, if he is being seen as a player coach / mentor. Steven was/is a terrific player and even this season has popped up with goals and assists. Remember, we signed an 'ageing' Grant Holt (happy birthday big yin ) for the same kind of reasons - to be a good personality around the club, pass on his knowledge of the game to the younger players, and help the strikers, in particular Jason.

It shouldn't come as any surprise to Hearts fans the level of player they are targeting or 'attracting'. They brought forward their academy plan at Balerno by over a year which shows they are intent on bringing on youngsters - way way too quickly in my opinion but hey ho it's to our benefit as they (their young players) will suffer the same as the likes of Stanton, Harris and Handling. I think (and have heard from a couple of reliable Hearts mates) they are looking to cash in on Lafferty too.

For all their furore about Harry Cochrane, McDonald and Godhino, you could argue that Oli Shaw, Fraser Murray and Ryan Porteous have had much more impact - certainly Oli as had a far bigger impact than Cochrane in the leagues and cups and continues to develop really well.

All in all, Hearts are where Hibs were for far too many years after we invested heavily in infrastructure, made a series of horrendous management appointments, and were in a permanent state of flux with a team of loans and journeymen - and it'll take more than Levein and Budge to get them out of the malaise they are in. Which is very pleasing

First Team Breakthrough sauzee1966's Avatar

Bottom Feeders

I think this shows the ambition of the club. Not about age its about planning for the future. The guy is about the limit of their spending as all the dosh will be ploughed into Naigoals and Laughalot

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Decent player but well past his best.

If you're signing someone aged 35 you'd be expecting a bit more pedigree.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    I'll go against the grain here and say that SM would be a good signing for them, if he is being seen as a player coach / mentor. Steven was/is a terrific player and even this season has popped up with goals and assists. Remember, we signed an 'ageing' Grant Holt (happy birthday big yin ) for the same kind of reasons - to be a good personality around the club, pass on his knowledge of the game to the younger players, and help the strikers, in particular Jason.
    A couple of differences between the two situations.

1) We were playing in the second tier.
    2) Grant Holt has had a much better career than McLean, which gave him lots of useful experiences to pass on.

First Team Regular
    They obviously don’t feel that Laugherty is a suitable mentor for their young players

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    I'm just lapping up the level playing-field that's been so brilliant for us and so lethal for them - absolutely amazing what's happened to the 'Big team' now they're cut-off from 'Other People's Money' - even their 'Mystery Donor' hasn't been able to prevent their plummet from 'Big' to 'Irrelevant' !

Mind the gap, Muppps - GGTTH !
    It might be close to a level playing field if we were to consider only the amount of money spent on players wages and the teams. If you look at HMFC in total over the past 4 years, by my calculations, they've had close to £15m of "other people's money" pumped in to their project over and above what we've had which really does put in to perspective the many good years of financial planning at HFC and is an indicator of how well our club is run currently.

I really don't think the words "level playing field" are appropriate when doing a comparison with Scotland's third biggest spenders.

Maclean ! one for the future .

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    A couple of differences between the two situations.

1) We were playing in the second tier.
    2) Grant Holt has had a much better career than McLean, which gave him lots of useful experiences to pass on.
    Fair points CG but one could easily argue that SM has had a very good career, playing for three big clubs in Old Rangers, Cardiff, Sheffield Wednesday and carved a very good career up here with Aberdeen and Saintees. Holt had a really purple patch with Norwich granted, but the rest of his career he was a Championship and/or League 1 striker (and I thought he was an excellent addition to our squad last season ).

The point I was making is you cannot underestimate having a good ex pro around the club and the younger players coming through. Plus I have always rated SM as a good player. He's has some horrendous injuries but worked hard to still make a prolonged career for himself which says a lot for a player.

Is he not to Saintees what SDG is to us?

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Wasn’t having a go at you there btw. Just saying the bottom line is for me he’s finished and the kind of signing we’d make under guys like Fenlon. I’d be raging if Hibs went for this kind of player.
    Its all good mate. Wouldnt want him anywhere near Hibs.

Can just see the logic in Hearts signing him.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDavidFrancey View Post
    They obviously don’t feel that Laugherty is a suitable mentor for their young players
    I don't think Lafferty will be at Hearts next season.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

Exactly

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDavidFrancey View Post
    Will be out the door this summer IMO

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    Reminds me of when we used to sign Maybury and the like
    David van Zanten and the rest.

Is this the guy that can’t play on artificial surfaces for insurance reasons? Better hope their new £1m hybrid effort is weighted to more grass than plastic.

Blog Entries
    Decent but uninspired signing. He certainly won’t enhance their Champions League aspirations.

Left by mutual consent!
    Decent signing for a mid table team fighting it out to mix it with the big boys in the top 6.

As a club heading to Europe and fighting it out for 2nd we're of course operating in a different market.
    Last edited by IGRIGI; 12-04-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    The price increase on their season tickets will be easier to take when they see the calibre of player they're going for.

Don't forget they are now having to fork out £450,000 per season for their use of their training facilities, over ten seasons that's near enough what we paid for EM and there will be no dodging payments this time.

We've had a decent record with players like this.

Grant Holt, Craig Brewster, Mixu.

Players who never had pace to lose can be effective to a decent age.

Although hopefully he'll be more of a Kuqi, Johansson or Rowan Vine - finished or utter pish.

they're signing a striker from 1 of there closest rivals which is very ambitious. it's like us signing Stevie may or Adam Rooney.
    a bit away from the buy young and develop with a view to selling on policy though

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpaper55 View Post
    Don't forget they are now having to fork out £450,000 per season for their use of their training facilities, over ten seasons that's near enough what we paid for EM and there will be no dodging payments this time.

And the £ 1 million for the new pitch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43727325

Hope they've left room to get diggers and dumptrucks in and out with the new stand tunnel being a bit restrictive.
    Seem to remember a bit of trouble with an access platform requiring to be dismantled, but I'm sure Budge has taken all this into the planning.