hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Sunderland

Sunderland

I don't know much about them other than I really feel for their fans today. EPL and then two relegations. I saw someone on Twitter say that a club being relegated from the EPL had a fifty percent chance of being relegated the next season as well. Is that actually true?
    (Almost) no football fans deserve to see that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

No, all part of the process. Feel more sorry for glory hunters who will never know the lows. Our cup win was enhanced by being the first side from a lower division to win it since ww2. (The cup that is, ww2 went to Hearts on a penalty shoot out with Germany).

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, all part of the process. Feel more sorry for glory hunters who will never know the lows. Our cup win was enhanced by being the first side from a lower division to win it since ww2. (The cup that is, ww2 went to Hearts on a penalty shoot out with Germany).
    Yeah that's true. I used to have an ST but didn't go to the final. Haven't been to a game in years and I feel you've got to 'earn' these. I can't imagine how Hibs fans who'd attended for years felt at the end of the cup final. Unbelievable and yes, you have to experience the lows to appreciate the highs. Sad times for their club. I like the North Eastern English clubs - 'Boro, Newcastle and Sunderland.

Don't feel sorry for them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    Genuinely not got any axe to grind and am asking out of interest only, why don't you feel sorry for them? Hope it's ok to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    Genuinely not got any axe to grind and am asking out of interest only, why don't you feel sorry for them? Hope it's ok to ask.
    I'm a newcastle fan so quite happy to see them struggle.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    I always look out for the Sunderland and Newcastle results.
    Sad day for the Makems. Alas it's their own doing. Feel for the fans though. No way a club of that stature should let themselves get into this situation.
    "Apple's will grow again" an old wag once said. We came back and I'm sure the Black Cats will too.... someday.
    Last edited by snooky; 21-04-2018 at 11:50 PM.

I'm a newcastle fan so quite happy to see them struggle.
    Ah! Ok that makes perfect sense! Totally understandable - thanks for explaining!

Sunderland fans always support their team in numbers. Not quite sure how they went down tho

Never forgave them for signing Craig Gordon for £9 million and bankrolling Hearts for years.

Sayonara.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    English club gets relegated from an English league... Boo hoo.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This. Are we going to have a thread feeling sorry for the other two clubs who get relegated from that league as well?

They were Singing about winning the league at Easter road in stevenson's testimonial

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    This. Are we going to have a thread feeling sorry for the other two clubs who get relegated from that league as well?
    My point was that we all know what relegation feels like and they've had it twice in two years. Apologies if my post wasn't appropriate.

This. **** them.

They revelled in Newcastles relegation, rightly so that's football. I'm not going to feel sorry for them in return though. Hope they stay down for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Probably not since the other two clubs haven't gone from the Premiership to League One in the space of two seasons.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    My uncle is a Newcastle die hard and he is delighted - says that Newcastle got the absolute piss ripped out of them after relegation from the prem so he's loving watching them suffer!

Am I right in thinking as theyre relegated two seasons in a row it triggers a parachute payment from the Premier? When it happened to Woves didn’t they get £30 million?

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Am I right in thinking as theyre relegated two seasons in a row it triggers a parachute payment from the Premier? When it happened to Woves didn’t they get £30 million?
    They get £33m but they would have got that anyway. They got £150m just for finishing bottom of the EPL. In theory it does give them an advantage over other teams, particularly in League 1 but it never seems to work like that in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    They get £33m but they would have got that anyway. They got £150m just for finishing bottom of the EPL. In theory it does give them an advantage over other teams, particularly in League 1 but it never seems to work like that in the Championship.
    Apologies, I was under the impression they got money for being relegated again.

£150 million for finishing bottom?! Realistically how long would it take for a Scottish club to make that!

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Apologies, I was under the impression they got money for being relegated again.

£150 million for finishing bottom?! Realistically how long would it take for a Scottish club to make that!
    In comparison Celtic will win just over £3 million this season for winning the Scottish league.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Interestingly, you don’t get any prize money for winning the EFL Championship and the TV money is split equally.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I have a passing interest in Newcastle and oddly enough one of the jibes from Sunderland fans was enjoy home and away to Burton Albion next year. Don't want to portray Derek McInnes as anything other than a decent manager but he has seen something at that club that told him to stay away. The English game has huge clubs outside of the premier league and teams no bigger than us in it.

[QUOTE=NORTHERNHIBBY;5377443]I have a passing interest in Newcastle and oddly enough one of the jibes from Sunderland fans was enjoy home and away to Burton Albion next year. Don't want to portray Derek McInnes as anything other than a decent manager but he has seen something at that club that told him to stay away. The English game has huge clubs outside of the premier league and teams no bigger than us in it.[/QUOTe/]

He stayed away cause he was told there was no money to spend and had to deal with the players already there. Sunderland are in a really bad way and until a new owner is found it will continue

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I feel for them.
    I work in Sunderland Hospital once a year and their engineering department are all season ticket holding Sunderland fans.

Really decent football fans who listened intently with misty eyes when I told them the story of Hibs winning the Scottish cup..
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Had said at the start of the season they were in serious danger again.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I think it's more the mismanagement - panic signings and a succession of stop gap managers - that reminds us of unhappier times.

Im pleased. Their fans are twats whenever they're up here pre season. Absolute roasters.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    Im pleased. Their fans are twats whenever they're up here pre season. Absolute roasters.
    Whilst I'm sure they have decent fans like any other team, my subjective experiences with them means I'm rather enjoying their predicament.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    What does their club being English have to do with it? Club as badly run as ours was continues to go through hard times.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction