hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The argument against that would be that the higher placed team was being punished for having had a better season.
    Why "punished"? Are hibs being "punished"?

There is an anomaly in the fixtures. Someone has to be put out. The team that it would affect least are the ones who have the most points and the most money.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    I’d wish they’d gone ahead with the original intention of everybody stating wth zero points after the split. You could finish sixth, win all your games after the split then win the league. Likewise finish seventh, lose all your games and get relegated.

I’m sure they did it in the Dutch league to determine the last Champions League place.
    That could actually work here. TV companies would be happy as you'd still get the 4 OF derbys and the end of the season is guarenteed to be exciting and meaningful.

Bit harsh if a team is running away with the title pre-split, but you can't tick every box.

Edit: maybe not start on zero, but get a 5 bonus points for first pre-split, 4 for second etc.
    Last edited by Michael; 02-04-2018 at 03:41 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    Why "punished"? Are hibs being "punished"?

There is an anomaly in the fixtures. Someone has to be put out. The team that it would affect least are the ones who have the most points and the most money.
    I understand your point, but that's how it would be perceived.

We could end up above Rangers before the split.

I wouldn't want us to lose out because we'd had a better first 33 games than them. Killie wouldn't want to lose a home game to Hearts in a similar scenario, and they certainly don't have more money.

As you say, there is a horrible and unfortunate anomaly, but I don't think clubs should lose out because they've been more successful.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I’d wish they’d gone ahead with the original intention of everybody stating wth zero points after the split. You could finish sixth, win all your games after the split then win the league. Likewise finish seventh, lose all your games and get relegated.

I’m sure they did it in the Dutch league to determine the last Champions League place.
    How would that help solve the problem with the number of home/away games?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

That's what's angering me the most.

Rangers get the revenue from 20 home games and we only get 18, missing out on a lucrative category A match in the process.
    Rangers can’t get 20 home games, no one in the top 6 will. One team will ace 18, the rest will have 19.

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Rangers can’t get 20 home games, no one in the top 6 will. One team will ace 18, the rest will have 19.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar

Not for me. Cup competitions have the all or nothing element at the end and the league is for the best team over the course of the season.

I can't think of a way to justify how hearts (or Killie, Hibs, Aberdeen, and rangers this season) should be league winners just on the back of a 5 game run.
    Mon the Hibs.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar

That would be mental. Imagine Hearts scrape into the top 6 on goal difference then win 3 of their last 5 games 1-0 and win the league

You think it's fair that a team that's finished 6th after 33 games could potentially win a league title?

Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    Balls. Oh well - just have to beat them at Ibrox. Again.
    If so, then Lennon should receive immunity for any GIRUY gestures he directs towards the Hum Hoards and any sectarian singing by the Huns should see then forfeit the 3 points. With those pre-conditions, we should agree to play them again at Hunbrox. Only fair.

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Ironic that Hibs season ticket holders who have contributed to the success of the team by buying up STs in record numbers are the ones who lose out - 18 rather than the expected 19 games

And the cheating Huns and 40,000 bigots get another opportunity to drool over John McGinn and Hibernian.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    I've got an idea. And this may appear radical but hear me out.

Why don't we just go for a standard league set up next season?

Quicker we move to two leagues of 18 or 20 the better. The split is a farce.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post

Try telling that to Sky and BT

I'm more annoyed that we're losing out on another 20,000+ attendance at ER this season due to this. Couple this with Celtic coming to us again, and that would be 6 games this season were the attendance has been north of 20,000.

I know there won't be, but compensation for us losing out on such a turnout at home for a paltry 900 tickets away is something that the SFA should really be looking into - Or at least something we should be highlighting as a club.

Quote Originally Posted by sundo1875 View Post
    Try telling that to Sky and BT
    Or our own club?

Quote Originally Posted by Callyballybe View Post
    I'm more annoyed that we're losing out on another 20,000+ attendance at ER this season due to this. Couple this with Celtic coming to us again, and that would be 6 games this season were the attendance has been north of 20,000.

I know there won't be, but compensation for us losing out on such a turnout at home for a paltry 900 tickets away is something that the SFA should really be looking into - Or at least something we should be highlighting as a club.
    Whatever Hibs would net from a full house match v the Huns should be the compen paid - not by the SFA but by the Huns. Anyone know what this is i.e. ticket income, hospitality income shop sales etc less match/stadium costs.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    I reckon the clubs already know the potential fixtures and venues depending on what teams are in the top 6, so the fact that NL is now mentioning ipox for a third time makes me think its a cert
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Callyballybe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Whatever Hibs would net from a full house match v the Huns should be the compen paid - not by the SFA but by the Huns. Anyone know what this is i.e. ticket income, hospitality income shop sales etc less match/stadium costs.
    We'll still end the season with an even split of 19 home and 19 away though so there's no reason why should we be given the financial benefits of a 20th game. If the club made that argument the SFA/SPLFL (whoever is in charge) would rightly argue that it's not Rangers fault that we can't get 20k against Kilmarnock.

We will have had an extra home game before the split so having an extra away game after it isn't the problem, the problem is the competitive advantage that it would give Rangers if we have to play them at Ibrox again.

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    We'll still end the season with an even split of 19 home and 19 away though so there's no reason why should we be given the financial benefits of a 20th game. If the club made that argument the SFA/SPLFL (whoever is in charge) would rightly argue that it's not Rangers fault that we can't get 20k against Kilmarnock.

We will have had an extra home game before the split so having an extra away game after it isn't the problem, the problem is the competitive advantage that it would give Rangers if we have to play them at Ibrox again.
    We'll have had 16 home games before the split.

We have to play Aberdeen and Hearts away. If we also go to Ibrox, we'll only have had 18 home games for the season.

If we only get two home games after the split, we'll end up playing 18 games at home and 20 away.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Ironic that Hibs season ticket holders who have contributed to the success of the team by buying up STs in record numbers are the ones who lose out - 18 rather than the expected 19 games

And the cheating Huns and 40,000 bigots get another opportunity to drool over John McGinn and Hibernian.
    We'd still get 19 home games though, 17 pre split and 2 post split

16 pre-split.

We have only played 15 games at home so far, tomorrow night takes that to 16.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    We'll have had 16 home games before the split.

We have to play Aberdeen and Hearts away. If we also go to Ibrox, we'll only have had 18 home games for the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    If we only get two home games after the split, we'll end up playing 18 games at home and 20 away.
    Ok I follow. I was working on the assumption that since we played at home first game of the season that we had more home games. A lazy assumption

I'm now fully on board with the seethe
    Last edited by My_Wife_Camille; 02-04-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    Anyone know how this gets resolved?

Best I can figure out (and assuming Motherwell don't make the top six) each team's fixtures should be the following Home/Away balance and the split below for an even Home/Away balance versus the opposition over the season:

Hibs (3 home / 2 away)
    H Celtic Killie Rangers
    A Aberdeen Hearts

Rangers (2 home / 3 away)
    A Hibs Celtic Aberdeen Hearts Killie

Aberdeen (2 home / 3 away)
    H Hibs Hearts Rangers
    A Killie Celtic

Celtic (3 home / 2 away)
    H Aberdeen Killie Rangers
    A Hibs Hearts

Killie (2 home / 3 away)
    H Aberdeen Hearts Rangers
    A Hibs Celtic

Hearts (3 home / 2 away)
    H Hibs Celtic Rangers
    A Aberdeen Killie

There are 3 broken team - Rangers, Killie and Aberdeen).
    The shortest route I can see is Rangers get home games against Killie and Aberdeen.

Are they going to try to resolve it based on expectations though?
    In which case, Aberdeen would expect a home tie against Rangers.

I believe that first rule is that every team has to play equal Home/Away fixtures over the season?

Anyone know how this works out / how they justify crunching the numbers so that Rangers wind up with Hibs and Aberdeen at Ibrox?

That is incredible. Leaving Killie aside as they've maybe been the surprise package - the SPFL scheduled Sevco to have 2 home games vs Celtc, Sheepies, us & Hertz? Do you think they were worried Pedro wouldn't make the split or something?

Testimonial Due
    I'm sure all the rules were down in writing before a ball was kicked at the start of the season!!
    I for one feel we have done a lot better than expected in our first season back!
    If we were having to play another away game in the bottom 6 it would be more of a shocker, but we are vying for a place in Europe so an extra away game if it comes will just have to be played and maybe it will bolster the team if they feel it is unjust!!!!

I wonder if we'll get rangers away, but Aberdeen at home.

Then Killie also go to Ibrox once again.

I think that would make it work.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post

Exactly. Imagine the excitement of ending the season with ICT away then QOS at home.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I wonder if we'll get rangers away, but Aberdeen at home.

Then Killie also go to Ibrox once again.

I think that would make it work.
    I think Aberdeen will only have had 16 home games pre-split too.

I think Aberdeen will only have had 16 home games pre-split too.
    The OP says they're due 2 at home (hearts and rangers in my example) - I didn't double check that though.