hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Aintree Festival/Grand National 2018

Just around the corner and the Grand National seems like one with real quality in it this year. I can’t see it being won by anything outside the top 10 in the betting. Hasn’t stopped me having a punt on a couple of longer shots though.

Few I’m on are:

Tiger Roll
    Minella Rocco
    Seeyouatmidnight
    Milansbar

Antonw got any fancies for the big one or the week in general?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just around the corner and the Grand National seems like one with real quality in it this year. I can’t see it being won by anything outside the top 10 in the betting. Hasn’t stopped me having a punt on a couple of longer shots though.

Few I’m on are:

Tiger Roll
    Minella Rocco
    Seeyouatmidnight
    Milansbar

Antonw got any fancies for the big one or the week in general?
    Anibale Fly and Seeyouatmidnight would be my 2 against the field on Saturday,best wishes to all runners and riders.

Think the going is still soft-good to soft with more rain forecast. If it goes full soft or even soft-heavy in place I think the chances of a shock might jump up.

I usually do well in the National, in the last few years I've had Many Clouds, One for Arthur and Neptube Collonges win and Last Samarui, Rocky Creek and Teaforthree place.

Milansbar, Tiger Roll and Bai Des Iles will carry my money. 2 female jockeys in there so a bit of history if one wins.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Think the going is still soft-good to soft with more rain forecast. If it goes full soft or even soft-heavy in place I think the chances of a shock might jump up.

I usually do well in the National, in the last few years I've had Many Clouds, One for Arthur and Neptube Collonges win and Last Samarui, Rocky Creek and Teaforthree place.

Milansbar, Tiger Roll and Bai Des Iles will carry my money. 2 female jockeys in there so a bit of history if one wins.
    Bai Des Iles backed into 16/1 from 50/1 over the last week and Milansbar will love the ground should it come up soft.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I've no idea about horse racing but I do like a punt on the Grand National so I'll be watching this thread with interest in the hope of picking up some hot tips.

1 horse that won today that must be the most frustrating, annoying horse in jumps training. The jockey deserved an OBE for winning on Finians Oscar. It made loads of mistakes, was under pressure about 5 out and somehow won going away. If anybody saw it you'll know exactly what I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    1 horse that won today that must be the most frustrating, annoying horse in jumps training. The jockey deserved an OBE for winning on Finians Oscar. It made loads of mistakes, was under pressure about 5 out and somehow won going away. If anybody saw it you'll know exactly what I mean...
    He’s such a strange horse. Bags of ability but his jumping is appalling at times. He seems a bit lazy tbh as they tried him back over hurdles previously and he was still sloppy over them. He looked the real deal as a novice hurdler but if he keeps jumping like that then he’s going to struggle to kick on.

He does seem like a stayer in time though; he got done for speed over a sharp 2 miles at Sandown where his jumping errors were badly punished, if you make mistakes at the railway fences you aren’t likely to be winning races there. He won well battling back at Cheltenham in a novice chase earlier in the season and again today he was streaking away at the line after being under all kinds of pressure 2/3 out.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar

:

Well done PB. I know absolutely zero about horse racing but followed your advice and i'm quids in.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Cheers quality info. Did Tiger roll and milansbar ew so well up. Cheers.

Not had a close look yet but, Anibale Fly and I Just Know for me at the moment.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I love the national, but I never really give it much thought until close to the race. I’m going for Ucello Conti to win and Warriors Tale e/w.

United we stand here....

You might as well stick a pin in.

The only winners are the bookies.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post

It’s not as much of a lottery as it used to be. It’s the amount of runners that makes it so difficult these days.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I've used my zero knowledge on horses to pick a short list of 7 horses, in the afternoon I'll further utilise my zero knowledge to pretend to understand their form, weight, and age before finally going for one of the ones in green. Perfect Candidate could be a perfect candidate for that, or Amahorse Konte.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post

And every person who happens to select the winner, of course.

Vicente out. Heading to Ayr next week instead.

Just in case the green, yellow and white colours tempted anyone.

Minella Rocco out as is Beeves.

Thunder & Roses and Walk in the Mill both in.

Some run from Politilogue in the Melling. He'll pick up plenty of these types of races when Altior stays away. He looked like the extra distance suited nicely, that's a bit strange as he was never a strong finisher. Still 11s was a more than decent price and has paid for my weekend.

Some run from Politilogue in the Melling. He'll pick up plenty of these types of races when Altior stays away. He looked like the extra distance suited nicely, that's a bit strange as he was never a strong finisher. Still 11s was a more than decent price and has paid for my weekend.
    Yet another race at this meeting that makes a complete mockery of the form when you consider how far Politilogue was beaten at Cheltenham, but well done you for taking the 11/1!

If anyone has a Bet365 account they’re doing the offer for the National that that did last year where if you back a horse each way you get half the stake back

I once told my dad I had a tip for the National and he said that was funny as he had a tip for the lottery numbers!

I read an article rating the National field on ten trends and the ones that met all the criteria are

Total Recall
    Tiger Roll
    Chase the spud
    Saint are
    Houblon Des Obeaux
    Milansbar
    Double Ross
    Delusionofgranguer

I’m going for Milansbar. Decent weight, should love the condictions and the distance.

Good luck everyone

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    I once told my dad I had a tip for the National and he said that was funny as he had a tip for the lottery numbers!

I read an article rating the National field on ten trends and the ones that met all the criteria are

Total Recall
    Tiger Roll
    Chase the spud
    Saint are
    Houblon Des Obeaux
    Milansbar
    Double Ross
    Delusionofgranguer

I’m going for Milansbar. Decent weight, should love the condictions and the distance.

Good luck everyone
    Milansbar is my big bet as well.

The Midlands National form looks good, good age, goes on soft, has won at 3m5f (on soft), is quite lightly raced, fair weight and has run recently.

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Milansbar is my big bet as well.

The Midlands National form looks good, good age, goes on soft, has won at 3m5f (on soft), is quite lightly raced, fair weight and has run recently.
    If that comes in i'll buy you a few pints

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Solid afternoon. Backed Tiger roll at 12/1 ew and milansbar ew. About first time I've ever won money off the national.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post
    Solid afternoon. Backed Tiger roll at 12/1 ew and milansbar ew. About first time I've ever won money off the national.
    I was on the same, so after derby let me down in an acca, its a decent day.

I always keep an eye out for PBs words of wisdom and it makes a nice change to be taking some from the horses after (for me) the disaster that was Cheltenham

I love Cheltenham but you forget how good Aintree actually is. Some top class horses over the last few days. So much more to it than the National

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Another opportunity for the bookies to empty my wallet

The family chose horses based on their names and colours do I have to try and do something with their donkeys.

To win: Total recall, some Italian name.

Each way: Double Ross, Road to riches, pleasant company

Great for the matched bettor, already guaranteed £80 with the BET 365 offer and another £90 if one of 5 horses comes in 5th due to the extra place they're paying out on.

Had a wee flutter for a win on Seeyouatmidnight though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The family chose horses based on their names and colours do I have to try and do something with their donkeys.

To win: Total recall, some Italian name.

Each way: Double Ross, Road to riches, pleasant company
    £20 profit with sky net paying out on six places.

Not sure if If I would’ve won more if pleasant company wasn’t pipped at the post.