hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The weather

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Love Costa Teguise.
    Beaches are wonderful
    They are, but at this time of year they donít have any sun beds out.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    They are, but at this time of year they donít have any sun beds out.
    1st world problems eh

Beautiful wee cove along to the right (if facing the sea) beside the Blue Sea Costa Teguise Beach hotel.
    I could quite happily live there :-(
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Interestingly here on the other side of the world, while Edinburgh/UK is having an extended winter, we in NZ have just had the hottest summer since records began, and even now, itís still pretty hot for being well into autum. 20C and sunny here in Wellington today and yesterday the high elsewhere was 28C!

The weather does appear to be changing somewhat. However, having only been here 10 years and alive for 36, it could all just be a minor blip?!

1st world problems eh

Beautiful wee cove along to the right (if facing the sea) beside the Blue Sea Costa Teguise Beach hotel.
    I could quite happily live there :-(
    I passed by there on Monday. My hotel is further along that coastal path. Itís absolutely stunning in that wee cove. The water was a a lovely shade of blue in the cove before it headed out into the ocean. There was hardly anyone in there either.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I've had hailstones, snow, sleet and rain today.

And I've only been in Iceland for 2 hours!

I passed by there on Monday. My hotel is further along that coastal path. Itís absolutely stunning in that wee cove. The water was a a lovely shade of blue in the cove before it headed out into the ocean. There was hardly anyone in there either.
    Not wanting to hijack the thread but there is a tiny wee cave in that cove . Great for bairns as you can sit in it right beside the water.

Wish I was there now

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    My mini daffs have been out for a while but the big fellies are taking their time!

Iím sure all my daffs were done and gone by Easter last year and while that was a couple of weeks later in 2017 it just shows how long winter has managed to hang on this time around!
    Gardening is a great way of measuring climate change. Those of us who've done it for any stretch of time can tell you that spring bulbs open earlier, trees blossom earlier and migrating birds arrive and leave at different times. And a lot of stately homes have gardening records that go back centuries that show what's going on is different.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Gardening is a great way of measuring climate change. Those of us who've done it for any stretch of time can tell you that spring bulbs open earlier, trees blossom earlier and migrating birds arrive and leave at different times. And a lot of stately homes have gardening records that go back centuries that show what's going on is different.
    Totally but as ever itís difficult to assess if itís just seasonal variations or part of a long term trend. This year for example I would say my garden is running at least 2-3 weeks later than last year in terms of the spring growth, bulb flowering and blossom.

Clearly though Britain as a whole is warmer than it was back in the day. The concept of the likes of the Thames freezing over is probably near impossible these days. I may be wrong but I believe Vine Street was named after a roman vineyard that used to sit on the site. The Normans too were big on the vineyards yet English wine making largely disappeared for 400 years until well into the 1900ís.

What Iím trying to say is that huge variations in weather of periods of hundreds of years is not unknown and that was well before any man made intervention. That said you would have to be totally bonkers to think that the human race has not caused any impact through its industrial scale burning of fossil fuels and massive injection of all sorts of chemicals into the environment.

Environmental science is still amazingly Ďbasicí though and their models are continually being updated and evolved as they discover previous assumptions and weightingís were just plain wrong.

But with all that said itís pretty damn clear the smart thing to do would be to strive to have as little impact on the natural order as possible so clean energy and pollution controls etc. are a total no brainier. What I donít agree with though is that being translated into pointless taxes that pretend to be green and using climate change to oppose the building of any and all new roads etc.

Not wanting to hijack the thread but there is a tiny wee cave in that cove . Great for bairns as you can sit in it right beside the water.

Wish I was there now
    I went past there yesterday, but I couldnít see the cave.

I went past there yesterday, but I couldnít see the cave.
    You need to go into the cove as the opening faces the sea.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I've had hailstones, snow, sleet and rain today.

And I've only been in Iceland for 2 hours!
    April April macht was er will!

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Totally but as ever itís difficult to assess if itís just seasonal variations or part of a long term trend. This year for example I would say my garden is running at least 2-3 weeks later than last year in terms of the spring growth, bulb flowering and blossom.

Clearly though Britain as a whole is warmer than it was back in the day. The concept of the likes of the Thames freezing over is probably near impossible these days. I may be wrong but I believe Vine Street was named after a roman vineyard that used to sit on the site. The Normans too were big on the vineyards yet English wine making largely disappeared for 400 years until well into the 1900ís.

What Iím trying to say is that huge variations in weather of periods of hundreds of years is not unknown and that was well before any man made intervention. That said you would have to be totally bonkers to think that the human race has not caused any impact through its industrial scale burning of fossil fuels and massive injection of all sorts of chemicals into the environment.

Environmental science is still amazingly Ďbasicí though and their models are continually being updated and evolved as they discover previous assumptions and weightingís were just plain wrong.

But with all that said itís pretty damn clear the smart thing to do would be to strive to have as little impact on the natural order as possible so clean energy and pollution controls etc. are a total no brainier. What I donít agree with though is that being translated into pointless taxes that pretend to be green and using climate change to oppose the building of any and all new roads etc.
    I was a climate change denier until relatively recently. My argument then (as it is to an extent now) is that warming and cooling of Earth is a natural cycle... ice age = extended period of global cooling, end of ice age = period of global warming, etc.

Where Iím at now is that human intervention has caused the natural cycle to speed up and intensify.

First Team Regular
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I was a climate change denier until relatively recently. My argument then (as it is to an extent now) is that warming and cooling of Earth is a natural cycle... ice age = extended period of global cooling, end of ice age = period of global warming, etc.

Where Iím at now is that human intervention has caused the natural cycle to speed up and intensify.
    So it's gone into overdrive?

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875godsgift View Post
    Thank **** you didn't say that at one of Hibbyradge's dinner parties.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875godsgift View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

As an academic in the field who writes and works with these models on a daily basis, I categorically disagree that they're basic (even given your use of '').

And I wholly endorse the application of my science to drive policy and result in changes to the way we govern our country - just look at our renewables track record. We're world-leading in our progress toward a green energy system. That's far from pointless - what seems pointless to me is building mass new transit infrastructure on existing vehicles to the tune of billions of pounds, when hopefully fossil fuel driven mass-transit road systems will be a thing of the past (hopefully in my lifetime).

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    As an academic in the field who writes and works with these models on a daily basis, I categorically disagree that they're basic (even given your use of '').

And I wholly endorse the application of my science to drive policy and result in changes to the way we govern our country - just look at our renewables track record. We're world-leading in our progress toward a green energy system. That's far from pointless - what seems pointless to me is building mass new transit infrastructure on existing vehicles to the tune of billions of pounds, when hopefully fossil fuel driven mass-transit road systems will be a thing of the past (hopefully in my lifetime).
    Ahh youíll need to excuse my brevity...it is a message board after all.

When I say basic I donít mean that they are not complex or indeed that a lot of hard work has went into building the models but basic in the sense that there is still a lot of unknown interactions and reactions that mean the models are constantly needing revised. Only the other day I was reading about the revelation of how the methane under the artic might not impact climate change as much as thought:

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/...008540.article

Or the nitrogen in bedrock and how that might effect the plant life that sucks up carbon dioxide:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/watts...tmosphere/amp/

I also said I supported the move to green energy (and transport for that matter) what annoys me is the Gordon Brown style changes to vehicle excise duty or the pretence that air passenger duty was somehow a green tax etc.

So no offence intended and I hope none taken but the perils of assuming forecasts or models are definitively a reflection of what will happen (think GDP forecasts!) was all I was trying to highlight.