hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hibs 8 Killie 1

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yip Hibs kids day, sure we were in South of Main Stand from memory
    Spot on remember it clearly. And away fans in the south enclosure below is?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by bringbackbenny View Post
    Spot on remember it clearly. And away fans in the south enclosure below is?
    Not sure about away fans, I was too scared to look over
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Sure big Gordon Rae smashed in a raker tae, which meant both our centre-halves scored from outside the box (and followed Rae's goal fae distance at Tannadice the week before). As someone else said, we lost to Celtic at ER the following Saturday (3-0, possibly?). Normal service was resumed!

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    Only thing I remember about John Blackley as manager was Blackley's Baby Crew. I wasn't a fan of Alex Miller (which probably puts me in a minority) but no amount of time will soften that stance. We did win the League Cup but in my opinion the football during his time wasn't very good. He also said that a game against Hearts was just another game. Technically correct but that sort of attitude can't have helped on field displays.

BBC
    - - C
    - - S

Reports from the papers

I was at the game, and kept some cuttings too - scans on the web at http://www.mekeke.co.uk/FAB/82_83/Killie.htm
    There was indeed a good feeling for a while after Pat took over from Bertie Auld as manager, and let the players go forward.
    One day I'll have time to do better scans etc., but they're just about legible.
    Cheers,
    Doug.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I was also at Tannadice the week before. Rae scored from about 35 yards to put us 1-0 up, Utd then went into a 3-1 lead. Harvey (signed from Ormiston Primrose) got our second and Brian Rice got the well deserved equaliser with a volley from about 15yds.

I was there too. Cant believe it was 35 years ago. Some really low crowds both home and away that season

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Another team we were able to sing the terracing favourite to ..

"We scored one, we scored two, we scored seven more than you .. nah,nah, etc."
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Keekaboo;5358921]I was a regular attender that season, hardly missing a single game home and away, but I actually missed that one.

Me too - I was sitting important exams at that time and I suspect that is why I missed it (studying) - probs went to all the other games like you.

I just recall seeing the “8 (Eight)” on the Teleprinter and not believing it.

Also recall getting in to the office on the Monday and the first person I saw was a Killie fan - just said to him that he wasn’t looking too well and asking if it was something he ‘ate’ - didn’t go down too well funnily enough and the language was choice - but he did laugh about it fairly quickly - you had to really.

Things were bad then - that was in the days of having players like Mike ‘Binger’ Conroy and Stuart Turnbull IIRC ? Sorry guys but after the 70s you were not what we were used to!

Was at the game as Hibs kid,reading the report by ian wood,"stuart turnbull has settled into a Des Bremner -type role".Naw,he was one of the worst players I've seen play for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ValleyHibee View Post
    Was at the game as Hibs kid,reading the report by ian wood,"stuart turnbull has settled into a Des Bremner -type role".Naw,he was one of the worst players I've seen play for Hibs.
    I had stopped going back then, and I mind walking along from west end and seeing a hibs fan and asking him the score and when he said 8-1 I had to ask again, couldn’t believe it . He had a big grin on his face tho. I did start going back a few years later tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    I was in the old enclosure under the main standthat day for which was very unusual for me. Was the old east getting knocked down at that time.

... Also Graham Harvey from memory scored two that day - was it his debut. Hmmm

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    I was in the old enclosure under the main standthat day for which was very unusual for me. Was the old east getting knocked down at that time.

I was on the East terracing so it was open, and Harvey scored at Tannadice the week before.

Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post

Harvey didn’t score that day - he scored on his debut against Morton earlier that year. I think it may have been Pat McCurdy’s debut though - he definitely came on as a sub and scored.

I was in with the Hibs Kids in the South Stand that day. We had a great view of the six goals we scored going up the slope! Our scorers were Duncan, Thomson (2), Irvine (2), Rae, McNamara and McCurdy.

Remember it. Certain it was 2-1 at ht.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Remember it. Certain it was 2-1 at ht.
    It was. Scored six going up the slope in the second half.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfurry72 View Post
    Harvey didn’t score that day - he scored on his debut against Morton earlier that year. I think it may have been Pat McCurdy’s debut though - he definitely came on as a sub and scored.

I was in with the Hibs Kids in the South Stand that day. We had a great view of the six goals we scored going up the slope! Our scorers were Duncan, Thomson (2), Irvine (2), Rae, McNamara and McCurdy.
    Presumably Duncan was playing left back by then? My recollection is that after Duncan, Rae and McNamara scored that the only member of the back four without a goal was Allan Sneddon and he spent the rest of the game going forward looking for a chance to score.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Testimonial Due
    Jeez 35 years ago - was there too and I feel old. Amazing second 45 minutes of madness completely out of character with the way Hibs played for the rest of the season.

The Eighties were when I started watching Hibs, hardly missing a game the whole decade.

To cut a long story short, 21 May 2016 made up for all the misery of Miller, the pain of Pat, and the bleak Blackley years.

I'll be one of the few that saw us lose cupties at places that aren't even football grounds any more: places like Kilbowie & Meadowbank.

Thankfully Alan Stubbs and Neil Lennon are everything that Alex Miller was not.

They are adventurous, attacking, positive, they get the derby, they get & got the importance of The Cup, ending 1902, the swashbuckling traditions of the Hibs.

Miller never did have that.

We were not up to much during the early to mid 80s but worth noting that Kilmarnock were on a horrible downward curve at this time and were relegated at the end of this season to spend 6 seasons in Division 1 before being relegated again to the bottom tier of Scottish Football but recovered to eventually gain promotion on goal difference from third place Stirling Albion in 1989/1990 after beating Cowdenbeath 2-1 on the last day of the season.

Missed this one, i was at tannadice watching Utd v Huns

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Missed this one, i was at tannadice watching Utd v Huns

I remember hearing the result when I was staying at Crieff Hydro that weekend - a great place!

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    The Eighties were when I started watching Hibs, hardly missing a game the whole decade.

To cut a long story short, 21 May 2016 made up for all the misery of Miller, the pain of Pat, and the bleak Blackley years.

I'll be one of the few that saw us lose cupties at places that aren't even football grounds any more: places like Kilbowie & Meadowbank.

Thankfully Alan Stubbs and Neil Lennon are everything that Alex Miller was not.

They are adventurous, attacking, positive, they get the derby, they get & got the importance of The Cup, ending 1902, the swashbuckling traditions of the Hibs.

Miller never did have that.
    Like you I didn’t miss many games in the 80s (was at most of THAT run against that lot and sadly remember well the cup loss at kilbowie as it was my birthday!) Don’t get to that many games at the moment sadly, but the difference between Hibs of my youth and that day in May is night and day! Still love some of the memories of the era, just not many of the results!

Oh and I was a Hibs Kid at the 8-1 game. Still remember the Pink headline, “Hibs Hit Eight in Killie Rout”!