hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hibs 8 Killie 1

Hibs 8 Killie 1

35 years ago today. Hibs Kids game IIRC.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Think Jackie Mac scored from a freekick that day

Cannae mind if it was a free kick, fair distance out though.

Left by mutual consent!
    35 years...jeez. I remember being hugely excited by that result. It came at a time when we were going next to nowhere as a club and it was bolt from the blue see the goals flying in like that. Graham Harvey was, I think, starting to make an impression around that time and may have scored one or two that day.

I recall holding on to the cutting of the report from the Scotsman. The headline was 'Something's stirring at Easter Road.' Sadly it wasn't really.
    Last edited by G B Young; 02-04-2018 at 01:15 PM.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    One of my earliest memories watching Hibs. Turned out to be one of many false dawns.

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    The last game I ever attended with my Dad, sat up in the old main stand top tier, a great display

One of the few highlights of a decade best forgotten i'd have thought? Baffling how well Aberdeen, Dundee United and to a lesser extent Hearts did in the 80's compared to us.

Why was that? Poor management? No investment? Hangover from the great 70's era?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of the few highlights of a decade best forgotten i'd have thought? Baffling how well Aberdeen, Dundee United and to a lesser extent Hearts did in the 80's compared to us.

Why was that? Poor management? No investment? Hangover from the great 70's era?
    The first half of that decade was certainly forgettable. Crowds of under 5k for some games in a huge, crumbling stadium and just a feeling of decline all round. Given that the days of the Tornadoes were still relatively fresh in the minds for many Hibs fans it was probably no surprise that so many stopped attending when faced with the mediocre quality of football on offer. There was a wee revival of sorts under John Blackley when we had Cowan and Durie up front and things did pick up under Alex Miller who built a half decent team in the late 80s, especially when we brought Steve Archibald in (an unthinkable signing a few years earlier when for some reason I remember us being unable to afford a guy called Jamie Doyle from Partick Thistle!).

@hibs.net private member Bookkeeper's Avatar
    Did we not draw 3-3 with Dundee Utd the week before too? Seem to mind we couldn't buy a goal at the time then got 11 in 2 games - then was back to normal again

I was there. Ive still got the Pink from that night.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gringojoe View Post
    Think Jackie Mac scored from a freekick that day
    It wasn't a free kick. Killie's goal came from a rare Jackie Mac error - under no pressure he stood on the ball and slipped /lost his footing, leaving the Killie player a clear run on goal to score (to make it 0-1 IIRC). Later a loose ball fell to McNamara about 30yds out - as soon as you saw his run up to the ball you knew he was going to hit the net, which he did. Sauzée-esque!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    It wasn't a free kick. Killie's goal came from a rare Jackie Mac error - under no pressure he stood on the ball and slipped /lost his footing, leaving the Killie player a clear run on goal to score (to make it 0-1 IIRC). Later a loose ball fell to McNamara about 30yds out - as soon as you saw his run up to the ball you knew he was going to hit the net, which he did. Sauzée-esque!
    My memory is that Jackie's goal came from a free kick. The taker laid it off to him.

My mate left at half time in disgust
    He was shell-shocked when the score came up on the teleprinter. As they did with unusual scores, it came up as Hibernian 8 (eight)..... 🤣

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    The first half of that decade was certainly forgettable. Crowds of under 5k for some games in a huge, crumbling stadium and just a feeling of decline all round. Given that the days of the Tornadoes were still relatively fresh in the minds for many Hibs fans it was probably no surprise that so many stopped attending when faced with the mediocre quality of football on offer. There was a wee revival of sorts under John Blackley when we had Cowan and Durie up front and things did pick up under Alex Miller who built a half decent team in the late 80s, especially when we brought Steve Archibald in (an unthinkable signing a few years earlier when for some reason I remember us being unable to afford a guy called Jamie Doyle from Partick Thistle!).
    Good post cheers. Miller was probably seen as a real coup at the time. Did well at St Mirren

@hibs.net private member
    This was before we had a scoreboard and me and my dad got there 15 minutes late. We were already 2-1 up at this point and we weren't exactly tearing them apart in the first half so we assumed it was still 0-0 . I hadn't an inkling that we'd missed goals until a chant of we want 7 went up at the point I assumed it was 4-0!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    My memory is that Jackie's goal came from a free kick. The taker laid it off to him.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    That's possible.

I was a regular attender that season, hardly missing a single game home and away, but I actually missed that one.

For some reason we went to the Borders for a family day out and I found out the score from the pink news :-(

Just as a bit of background as to how low Hibs had sunk at that time, the average league attendance for the season was 7,109.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 02-04-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Coaching Staff
    Stood on the top terracing with my Father in Law & Brother in Law, now both past away, to watch that game.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
    Did we not draw 3-3 with Dundee Utd the week before too? Seem to mind we couldn't buy a goal at the time then got 11 in 2 games - then was back to normal again
    Spot on. I have a Daily Record (sorry) cutting previewing the next game (against Celtc, I think) with all the scorers of the 11 goals holding footballs on trays, with a headline along the lines of "Hibs serving up goals" or something equally desperate. They lost that game (don't think they even scored) and then, as you say, it was back to the dross of the times.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    Good post cheers. Miller was probably seen as a real coup at the time. Did well at St Mirren
    Not sure there was much excitement around his appointment, with many remembering him as a long-serving Rangers player. But he quickly made us into a more solid unit, bringing in guys like Dougie Bell, Tommy McIntyre and Neil Orr, while the signings of Andy Goram and Steve Archibald gave us a bit of glamour back. It would be hard to claim Miller was ever much loved by the fans but he did win us the Skol Cup, built a couple of good sides and earned us some respectable European results. His early to mid 90s side featuring O'Neill, McAllister, Harper, Wright and Jackson showed he wasn't as dour and defensive as some made out but his derby record was dismal, albeit Hearts were a better team for much of Miller's reign.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Not sure there was much excitement around his appointment, with many remembering him as a long-serving Rangers player. But he quickly made us into a more solid unit, bringing in guys like Dougie Bell, Tommy McIntyre and Neil Orr, while the signings of Andy Goram and Steve Archibald gave us a bit of glamour back. It would be hard to claim Miller was ever much loved by the fans but he did win us the Skol Cup, built a couple of good sides and earned us some respectable European results. His early to mid 90s side featuring O'Neill, McAllister, Harper, Wright and Jackson showed he wasn't as dour and defensive as some made out but his derby record was dismal, albeit Hearts were a better team for much of Miller's reign.
    I just had a look at our season overviews under Miller and was amazed at how many times we lost to Hearts. There was one particular instance where we lost a game at Tynecastle, then proceeded to go on a nine-match unbeaten run against every other team in the division before our run was ended by - guess who! Hearts, at Easter Road. Summary of all results:

Played: 40
    Won: 7
    Drew: 15
    Lost: 18

That is absolutely pathetic. I can see why despite relative success under Miller that so many fans dislike him - it would be embarrassing to have that sort of derby record for such a consistently long period of time.

@hibs.net private member Bookkeeper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    Spot on. I have a Daily Record (sorry) cutting previewing the next game (against Celtc, I think) with all the scorers of the 11 goals holding footballs on trays, with a headline along the lines of "Hibs serving up goals" or something equally desperate. They lost that game (don't think they even scored) and then, as you say, it was back to the dross of the times.
    Aye, wasn't the best of times

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    I just had a look at our season overviews under Miller and was amazed at how many times we lost to Hearts. There was one particular instance where we lost a game at Tynecastle, then proceeded to go on a nine-match unbeaten run against every other team in the division before our run was ended by - guess who! Hearts, at Easter Road. Summary of all results:

That is absolutely pathetic. I can see why despite relative success under Miller that so many fans dislike him - it would be embarrassing to have that sort of derby record for such a consistently long period of time.
    I remember my old man literally jumping for joy when Miller was sacked. He was of the opinion that Hibs should play a certain way which he didn't feel Hibs did under Miller. For me, the Jackson, Wright, Crunchie, Weir, McGinley era was my introduction to Hibs and i was mesmerized! Some of the previous and subsequent teams would have blown me away at that age lol.

Only thing I remember about John Blackley as manager was Blackley's Baby Crew. I wasn't a fan of Alex Miller (which probably puts me in a minority) but no amount of time will soften that stance. We did win the League Cup but in my opinion the football during his time wasn't very good. He also said that a game against Hearts was just another game. Technically correct but that sort of attitude can't have helped on field displays.
    Last edited by Is It On....; 02-04-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post

The most telling stat there is actually the 15 draws because there were a good number of games we should have won but Hearts had such a hold on the fixture that even if they'd been outplayed they would manage not to lose. As I mentioned, for the majority of Miller's time Hearts were a stronger side but they also had the upper hand mentally. That was bl**dy hard to accept for those who could remember the exact opposite situation in the 70s. Thankfully we're back to being the better side both physically AND mentally these days :-)

I was there, season ticket holder at the time and have been ever since. The only thing I remember about this game was that it was only 2-1 at halftime - it’s amazing how the memory goes

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Cannae mind if it was a free kick, fair distance out though.
    Shoot Jackie was the cry for about a year after but that was the only one he scored from distance as far as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    35 years ago today. Hibs Kids game IIRC.
    Yip Hibs kids day, sure we were in South of Main Stand from memory
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Aye, that sounds about right S.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Shoot Jackie was the cry for about a year after but that was the only one he scored from distance as far as I can remember.
    Vaguely remember a cracker at home to East Fife when he was slotting in at RB, might be slavering though.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Vaguely remember a cracker at home to East Fife when he was slotting in at RB, might be slavering though.
    You might be right my memory isn't what it was but I rarely missed a game back then thanks to my Uncle.. He was my favourite player when I started watching Hibs. Looked at his stats and he only scored 5 times.