hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 41 of 41
  1. #31
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    60
    Posts
    9,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My brother-in-law works for Bic. His factory, which is Bic's biggest but not the only one, produces 5 million lighters per DAY. Even as a smoker, that worries me.
    Ah but from that only 3 will work!
    Space to let


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    @hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    West Lothian
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tough times, balance the books, all in this together, etc.

    Councils across the U.K. are having to make tough decisions on the pittance they have to spend on services.

    My council (Wiltshire) did this a couple of years ago. And brought in alternating fortnightly rubbish collection (one week blue wheelie bin and black box recycling, next week rubbish wheelie bin).

    I have to say, my grass clippings just appear in the field opposite my house now, as I didnít see the point in a brown wheelie bin as my patches of grass are quite small.

    J
    See? (Not aiming this at you Bristolhibby, obviously i don't know your specific circumstances) In the wrong place even grass clippings dumped on a 'field' can destroy wildflowers, spread invasive seeds, insects and eggs.

    Its going to cost us all more in the long run.

  4. #33
    Testimonial Due hibby6270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Leith, Edinburgh
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,594
    Have lived in a Leith tenement block for over 30 years and have never seen a brown street bin around our area. Possibly because our back green is fully paved and itís not needed.

    We have big black bins for general waste (including glass) and big green bins for recycling paper, plastic, etc. Thatís it!!!

    So glad I live in the backwater of Leith where dealing with rubbish is oh so simple.

    Someone mentioned earlier ďbetter watch out Clowncil will start charging for all the types of binĒ.
    Errmm!! - correct me if Iím wrong but is that not what Council Tax is for?

  5. #34
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    11,830
    Iíll just pay it. £25 a year is nothing really. I pay a guy to come and clean my wheelie bins and that costs more than it will to get the brown bin emptied. I donít consider myself to be a big environmentalist, but the system the council have introduced in Edinburgh works really well, and thatís not something you can say very often about Edinburgh council.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  6. #35
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    11,205
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Edinburgh council are introducing a £25 a year charge to pick up your brown garden waste bin I see.

    Apparently 67,000 will opt out so where are they going to put their waste? Dump it somewhere no doubt.

    My local councillor (Labour) blaming the Scottish Government for cutting the council budget so sacrifices have to be made.

    Personally £25 a year is affordable so I will opt in, if it keeps other essential services going then its a good thing. If your on reduced council tax you get an exemption.
    In the green bin

  7. #36
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    11,205
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Edinburgh council are introducing a £25 a year charge to pick up your brown garden waste bin I see.

    Apparently 67,000 will opt out so where are they going to put their waste? Dump it somewhere no doubt.

    My local councillor (Labour) blaming the Scottish Government for cutting the council budget
    so sacrifices have to be made.

    Personally £25 a year is affordable so I will opt in, if it keeps other essential services going then its a good thing. If your on reduced council tax you get an exemption.

  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    11,642
    Local authorities have a range of statutory duties, such as education, housing, roads, social care and household waste. Collecting garden waste is not one of them so they are looking to recover the costs by charging. You will find there are other things that are being charged for which were previously free, street naming and numbering for example, but because it generally doesn't affect the public you are not aware of it.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  9. #38
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iíll just pay it. £25 a year is nothing really. I pay a guy to come and clean my wheelie bins and that costs more than it will to get the brown bin emptied. I donít consider myself to be a big environmentalist, but the system the council have introduced in Edinburgh works really well, and thatís not something you can say very often about Edinburgh council.
    Agree, it seems pretty good to me.

    I dont think its unreasonable to charge for it, as you say it still seems like a good deal.

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    11,205
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree, it seems pretty good to me.

    I dont think its unreasonable to charge for it, as you say it still seems like a good deal.
    The trouble with any new "nominal" charge for something, is that it ferments and becomes "substantial" within a few years.

  11. #40
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    11,642
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The trouble with any new "nominal" charge for something, is that it ferments and becomes "substantial" within a few years.
    Perth and Kinross introduced the £25 charge on 1st April next April it is to go up to £35
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  12. #41
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The trouble with any new "nominal" charge for something, is that it ferments and becomes "substantial" within a few years.
    Yeah, a very good point. These things tend to be ratchets in that they only go one way.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved