hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jamie Mac

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope. Based purely on me believing Holt wasn’t a good player for us, regardless of what the majority would say on here. Only a handful of games but Kamberi has shown as much movement and an equal hold-up game for me already. Without even taking into account any scoring records.

Just my opinion, and against the grain as I say.
    Out of interest, why wasnt Holt a good player for Hibs?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Few wins and folk on here get ideas well above our station. Both good players, both good enough for Hibs, both scoring and helping the team win.
    I think it is the other way around. A couple of wins and folk start lauding very average players as much better than they are.

They are doing a job and are working hard - which is more than we were getting from Stokes.

That is all though.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    I think it is the other way around. A couple of wins and folk start lauding very average players as much better than they are.

They are doing a job and are working hard - which is more than we were getting from Stokes.

That is all though.
    I think that's unfair tbh. They've both come in mid-season on the back of little or no recent first team action and both have hit the ground running and scored vital goals. That's quite a difficult thing to do and they both deserve credit for it IMO.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    I think that's unfair tbh. They've both come in mid-season on the back of little or no recent first team action and both have hit the ground running and scored vital goals. That's quite a difficult thing to do and they both deserve credit for it IMO.
    I think they are getting credit tbf and I don’t think anybody is being overly critical. Imo there’s no harm in taking a step back and discussing all their attributes, good and bad,

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    Hibs seem to have improved since Stokes left and mclaren and kamberi have been productive.

So why am I not yet convinced about them?!
    First half they weren't looking that dangerous and didn't read each other's runs But as s team we were flat and Scotty couldn't find the killer pass so you couldn't judge them on that half
    Whole team much better second half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    Hibs seem to have improved since Stokes left and mclaren and kamberi have been productive.

So why am I not yet convinced about them?!
    I think we are scoring more goals by virtue of having strikers that get into the box, who'd have thought it. I love Kamberi's workrate and he has some quality but I think if we could only keep one player I would like to keep McLaren. Looks like he has lots of goals in him and gets in some great positions. More than happy if we could keep both but we still need to get at least another striker possibly two if Murray doesn't come back.

I like them both, great work ethic and now starting to chip in with goals, good piece of business in January, I had heard we have an option on Kamberi in the summer, lets hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I think they are getting credit tbf and I don’t think anybody is being overly critical. Imo there’s no harm in taking a step back and discussing all their attributes, good and bad,
    That's true but it was the "A couple of wins and folk start lauding very average players" comment that I felt was unfair.
    Last edited by Mr White; 01-04-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    Out of interest, why wasnt Holt a good player for Hibs?
    Maybe “not a good player” wasn’t term I intended but I thought he was vastly over rated and defended by many fans, especially compared to the stick other players get.

I saw him as immobile, didn’t win nearly enough in the air (more interested in falling over and wanting fouls) all the while rarely scoring goals.

Decent guy and enjoyed his derby goal, but that derby game and his semi final performance were two of the rare games I thought he was better than average. (Albeit I didn’t see every single game he played).

Not looking for arguments or a reaction but my opinion on Holt won’t change.

Maybe “not a good player” wasn’t term I intended but I thought he was vastly over rated and defended by many fans, especially compared to the stick other players get.

I saw him as immobile, didn’t win nearly enough in the air (more interested in falling over and wanting fouls) all the while rarely scoring goals.

Decent guy and enjoyed his derby goal, but that derby game and his semi final performance were two of the rare games I thought he was better than average. (Albeit I didn’t see every single game he played).

Perfect assessment of Holt.

Not sure of the stats but as a team we appear to be scoring more goals per game since the jan window, which has been Lennon’s most successful.

@hibs.net private member

The only bit you missed was he rarely made his way into the box and his hold up play was nowhere near as good as some made out. Kamberi has had far more impact on the league above than Holt ever did in the Championship

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    The only bit you missed was he rarely made his way into the box and his hold up play was nowhere near as good as some made out. Kamberi has had far more impact on the league above than Holt ever did in the Championship
    I was sure I had mentioned hold-up play, but it was in an earlier post. Glad I’m not the only one - I assumed the first reply to me would be from the other side of the argument haha.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Got to be said Mclarens movement around the box is excellent. Find Flo a bit frustrating at times in terms of holding the ball up but he has done well.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I think we are scoring more goals by virtue of having strikers that get into the box, who'd have thought it. I love Kamberi's workrate and he has some quality but I think if we could only keep one player I would like to keep McLaren. Looks like he has lots of goals in him and gets in some great positions. More than happy if we could keep both but we still need to get at least another striker possibly two if Murray doesn't come back.
    Having watched Murray today I severely doubt he will be back...we need better imo and we have that in Flo and Jamie....we should be looking for either keeping them or looking for better again in summer

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Eh? Did you not see him catch the Patrick player twice in the second half when sprinting back to cover?

I think he does have good pace but obviously being a big lad might not be quite as quick over very short distances but in a foot race over a reasonable distance I reckon he’s more than fast enough.
    The Patrick boy must have been walking.

I really like the pair of them.

We didn't exactly carve out loads of chances for the yesterday, but they both put in a power of work.

McLaren got the vital first goal, Kamberi's man was sent off for repeatedly fouling him.

I think our current team and squad are superb, and I think we could challenge for the title if we could keep them together.

Sadly, I think we're facing losing a large number of them in the summer and rebuilding.

McLaren is way more than a poacher. He runs his socks off, hassles defenders and makes clever runs.

Tbh he misses to many chances to be considered a poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

We didn't exactly carve out loads of chances for the yesterday, but they both put in a power of work.

McLaren got the vital first goal, Kamberi's man was sent off for repeatedly fouling him.

I think our current team and squad are superb, and I think we could challenge for the title if we could keep them together.

Sadly, I think we're facing losing a large number of them in the summer and rebuilding.

McLaren is way more than a poacher. He runs his socks off, hassles defenders and makes clever runs.

He could just be not that good at poaching if he’s missing so many chances?

I think he’s good by the way.. just don’t think your last sentence makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Salah misses loads of chances but he’s not a bad poacher?

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    How many starts has Maclaren had? My guess is 6 with three goals being a good rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    How many starts has Maclaren had? My guess is 6 with three goals being a good rate.
    I think its 5 but he also came on early in the first half at Ibrox. However he was then subbed off after 20 minutes at Perth to make way for Cammy Bell though.
    Last edited by Mr White; 01-04-2018 at 08:28 PM.

To clarify - I consider a poacher to be a forward who is pretty deadly at taking chances but doesn't necessarily offer much else - see Jason Cummings, Kris Boyd, Ally McCoist, Gary Lineker.

I don't think McLaren is that deadly a finisher but he brings a lot of other stuff to our play.

I don't know why, but when we signed him I thought he was meant to be finisher but not much more.

I like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    He's a fox in the box striker, they can be anonymous for 89 minutes but then a smart bit of movement and they get you the winner.
    They need a strong grafter beside him and Kamberi is a good foil with a bit of added skill to boot. Really like the look of him. If he was to go back to grasshoppers in the summer then Curtis Main would be one of my key targets as he's probably the leagues hardest working forwards and is as strong as an ox.
    Totally agree re. Main, he's just the kind of striker most teams would want, strong, physical presence, works hard for the team, skillful and scores goals. Hibs should definitely go for him IMO, but I'm not sure if he's a loan deal or not with Motherwell.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    If they weren’t scoring goals everyone would be saying ah, but they came in in Jan without any game time, they just need time to gel etc.

I think they’ve both hit the ground running and we’re a far more exciting team to watch since we started playing with the two of them up front.

I’d be delighted if that’s our front two going into next season with Shaw as backup.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    If they weren’t scoring goals everyone would be saying ah, but they came in in Jan without any game time, they just need time to gel etc.

I think they’ve both hit the ground running and we’re a far more exciting team to watch since we started playing with the two of them up front.

I’d be delighted if that’s our front two going into next season with Shaw as backup.

The addition of those 2 and Scott Allan in a January window looks like very effective business so far and has had a very positive effect.

Promising Youngster
    Both have done well.... McLarens goal yesterday was exactly what we were missing before the window, they also give us the opportunity to develop Oli over a better period of time. This is a notoriously difficult time of the season when the bottom six dross fight for everything, yesterday was a massive 3pts for us

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Salah misses loads of chances but he’s not a bad poacher?

Salah is a fantastic goalscorer but a poacher he ain't

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonced18 View Post
    Both have done well.... McLarens goal yesterday was exactly what we were missing before the window, they also give us the opportunity to develop Oli over a better period of time. This is a notoriously difficult time of the season when the bottom six dross fight for everything, yesterday was a massive 3pts for us

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk
    Perfectly put. The amount of those kind of crosses from Martin Boyle that sailed right through the box without a striker getting a touch in the first half of the season was criminal. Stokes was busy hanging about on the edge of the box as some kind of rubbish Scott Allan and Simon Murray was constantly content on marking himself out of the game as usual.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar

Got to agree that "not a good player for Hibs" isn't an accurate description. Holt contributed towards a championship winning team in a vital period for the club. I think as, what I would consider a stop gap signing, we got what was expected. His best days had passed and I think his biggest attributes were towards team spirit and providing a foil for Cummings. I'd expected more goals and he did have some bad games, but overall I just wanted to express I thought not a good player was pretty harsh.

Also loved his goal against Hearts, so did it seems. Loves a mention of it on Twitter 😎

The best thing about Jamie is his size and pace. As Leigh proved, scoring goals from close in is down to quick acceleration into a space. Watch Jamie’s movement for that first goal.

As for Flo, his motion and ball control on the edge of the box is excellent

Left by mutual consent!
    Whether or not we keep one, both or neither of these guys beyond the summer I don't think we could have asked for any more from them. IMHO they have been excellent and whatever one thinks of their talent levels, their greatest attribute has been their sheer willingness to get stuck in. They clearly want to do as well as possible for themselves and for the team - in stark contrast to Stokes, who probably has more talent than the pair of them put together but let the club down big time with his attitude this season. They've lifted morale at a key time in the season and you have to credit the club for managing to bring in two such effective contributors in the January window. The key signing, though, was Scott Allan, whose eye for a pass can help to bring out the best in any striker.

As for Holt, he may not have been a player to bring us to the edge of our seats, but I thought he was a really solid signing, whose experience and professionalism were just what was needed to ease us through as vital title-winning season.