hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Masters 2018

Masters 2018

Who's your tip to win it?

Choose your favourite and a rank outsider, say lower than 40/1 in the rankings.

I'm going for Justin Thomas and Brian Harman

https://www.oddschecker.com/golf/the-masters/2018-us-masters/winner

2. Log in to remove the advert

I’ve bet Casey 22/1.. will bet another but not decided who yet..

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I’ve bet Rose, Rahm and I guess my outsider is Reed. I might have some more before Thursday or indeed wait till next weekend.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    I will be covering Fleetwood, Noren and Pieters another European to win this year!

Love it when a European wins over there, although I think it would be amazing if Tiger did something.

Buzzing for it to start, but I'm out Friday, won't get back from Dingwall til late on Saturday, and flying to Spain Sunday night so hardly going to catch any of it. :(

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Alex Noren will be my main bet to win. I'll be studying form over the next couple of days for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alex Noren will be my main bet to win. I'll be studying form over the next couple of days for the rest.
    Im thinking I’ll be having a bit of that too along with Stenson GB.

How impressive has Poulter been over the last three days at the Houston Open - twenty under par for three rounds, one over par after the first round.

A truly inspired performance - the 'Ryder Cup' Poulter finally does it in a US strokeplay tournament. He's in great form, Kisner match apart.

The putt on the 72nd was 'Medina' style, along with the chest punches.

Maybe a good outsider option.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    How impressive has Poulter been over the last three days at the Houston Open - twenty under par for three rounds, one over par after the first round.

A truly inspired performance - the 'Ryder Cup' Poulter finally does it in a US strokeplay tournament. He's in great form, Kisner match apart.

Great viewing last night. You've got to admire Poults's bottle, what a competitor!

Has Politer got a chance of making the Ryder Cup team? Would like to see him do well at the Masters

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Has Politer got a chance of making the Ryder Cup team? Would like to see him do well at the Masters
    As it stands, Europe team would be:

Hatton, Rose, Fisher and Fitzpatrick from the European list
    Rahm, Fleetwood, McIlroy and Garcia from the World list

Then four picks after that. Poulter is 9th in the World list.

Others is the mix would include Noren, Cabrera-Bello, Pieters, Casey, Stenson, Lowry etc. Imagine a few of them would move out Fisher & Fitzpatrick.

Shaping up to be another strong Eurpoean team.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I put 2 £10 each way bets on Rose and Spieth. They're both never far away.

I’m thinking all that physical and mental energy getting there will have him drained this week.

I want to wait to see the tee off times but I like the look of Ricky Fowler this week.

As it stands, Europe team would be:

Hatton, Rose, Fisher and Fitzpatrick from the European list
    Rahm, Fleetwood, McIlroy and Garcia from the World list

Then four picks after that. Poulter is 9th in the World list.

Others is the mix would include Noren, Cabrera-Bello, Pieters, Casey, Stenson, Lowry etc. Imagine a few of them would move out Fisher & Fitzpatrick.

Shaping up to be another strong Eurpoean team.
    Potentially that’s a cracking European team.

Looking forward to this year

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cod Flanders
    Went for Rahm and Fleetwood. Like watching Fleetwood - he has fantastic rapport with the crowd - will be a great Ryder cup player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a selection but hope he doesn’t jinx it by winning the par three challenge tomorrow!

McIlroy to win and I've each way bets on Noren, Thomas, Schauffler, Matsuyama and Oosthuizen. It always adds a bit of interest,I'm really looking forward to it now.

Can you believe it's thirty years since Sandy Lyle won the Masters? The first British player to do so. It also opened the door for a number of European wins.

Right! He didn’t win the par 3 challenge so I’m going for Ricke Fowler.

He meets a lot of the trends of the last 10 winners. He’s under the age of 40, he’s in the top 30, made the cut last year and has had a top 10 this year.

He’s also featuring in the top 60 for tee to green (33) approach (30) scoring (27).

Also a big thing for the Masters is not how many birdies or eagles you can get (does help!) but how many bogeys you can avoid. Again Fowler ranks well in the top 60 of bogey avoidance coming in at 6.

Edit to say that the last seven winners started late on the first day. Fowler goes out quite late when the whole Tiger show should have died down.

So put your money on anyone other than Fowler!!!

Right! He didn’t win the par 3 challenge so I’m going for Ricke Fowler.

He meets a lot of the trends of the last 10 winners. He’s under the age of 40, he’s in the top 30, made the cut last year and has had a top 10 this year.

He’s also featuring in the top 60 for tee to green (33) approach (30) scoring (27).

Also a big thing for the Masters is not how many birdies or eagles you can get (does help!) but how many bogeys you can avoid. Again Fowler ranks well in the top 60 of bogey avoidance coming in at 6.

Edit to say that the last seven winners started late on the first day. Fowler goes out quite late when the whole Tiger show should have died down.

So put your money on anyone other than Fowler!!!
    Golf betting is an imponderable but at the same time you can get some very good odds on some very good golfers.

I used to have a work colleague who would bet on two flies crawling up a wall, he wasn't a golfer but loved a punt on golf tournaments in particular. He purchased a book on the art of golf betting and one of the amazing facts was that if a golfer became a father for the first time then he tended to win a tournament within 3 months of the birth. They called this "the nappy factor."

I remember one week in particular when he did a double on the winner of the European Tour event and the winner of the PGA tour event, let's say I extracted the urine from the guy on placing such a daft bet but lo and behold it came up , it goes to show you how much a golf nutter like me knows!

Ha!

I meant to add that in the last ten Masters the winners starting price has been 20/1 or better. Fowler about 22/1.

Should be a great tournament. Hope big Tony recovers from his celebration of the hole in one to make it.

Dustin Johnson at 15/1, Sergio at 41/1 and Tommy Fleetwood at 55/1.

Watching it just now live on the CBS app.

Nobody has lost me more money than Fowler. He draws me in with good performances on Thursdays and Fridays and goes to pieces over the weekend, normally after I've lumped on halfway through. I think he's a bottler and to be avoided.

I've put small E/W bets on Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau and Thomas Pieters to make the first couple of days interesting but I tend to watch it and make my move later.

TBH this one is wide open and really tough to call. There are some superb players at fairly short odds, but there are also some very solid candidates (many mentioned on this thread) at much longer odds.

I'm really looking forward to it, I don't think I've ever looked forward to a Masters more.

The Masters official website is superb too.
    Last edited by Smartie; 05-04-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Nobody has lost me more money than Fowler. He draws me in with good performances on Thursdays and Fridays and goes to pieces over the weekend, normally after I've lumped on halfway through. I think he's a bottler and to be avoided.

I've put small E/W bets on Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau and Thomas Pieters to make the first couple of days interesting but I tend to watch it and make my move later.

TBH this one is wide open and really tough to call. There are some superb players at fairly short odds, but there are also some very solid candidates (many mentioned on this thread) at much longer odds.

I'm really looking forward to it, I don't think I've ever looked forward to a Masters more.

The Masters official website is superb too.
    I was getting confused by the Masters leaderboard so I reverted to the Sky one!

I was getting confused by the Masters leaderboard so I reverted to the Sky one!
    I didn't get it to begin with - but if you change the drop down menu from over/under to traditional, it gives you something much more recognisable. I didn't like the initial view at all, I think that's the way they do the scoreboards at the course.

It's the shot tracker bit that I like. You can see where any player is, anywhere on the course at any time. It's the second best thing to actually watching it live - it's class, especially if you're following a player you have money on.

That was painful watching Sergio there. Makes me feel a bit better about some of my struggles when you see it can happen to the best though.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Garcia 13 on the 15th - 5 balls into the water

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    But follows with a birdie 2 - class shows

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    That was painful Sergio. Has the sky coverage improved, i'm watching on american tv and its superb, sky were only showing half a dozen holes earlier?