hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dundee Utd.

Didnt have a problem with Utd until they beat us in December 2016 up at Tannadice, they celebrated like they had already won the title!

Really was pathetic.

Was very pleasing when he hammered them 3-0 at Easter Road last January, put them back in their place and ended their hopes of winning the league.

Still, id rather play them than Hamilton for instance.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If it's a choice between Dundee Utd, Morton and Livi then give me the Arabs every day. Livi are a crappy wee club with no fans and Morton's ground is a joke. How people can still despise Utd solely because of Houston and Skacel I have no idea.
    While there's a will, there's a way...

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Hope Dundee Utd and Dunfermline come up soon, both good clubs with decent fan bases that could add to the top league.

Quote Originally Posted by JDHibs View Post
    Didnt have a problem with Utd until they beat us in December 2016 up at Tannadice, they celebrated like they had already won the title!

Really was pathetic.

Was very pleasing when he hammered them 3-0 at Easter Road last January, put them back in their place and ended their hopes of winning the league.

Still, id rather play them than Hamilton for instance.
    I used to live in Dundee and probably know as many United fans as I do fans of any club.

I've never been on the end of as much gloating as I was at that time.

I remember chuckling a bit, because I'm normally quite reserved with my gloating - you do it when the final ball has been kicked and there is minimal opportunity for it to bite you on the arse. Even then, you need to go back and defend your position the next season and run the risk of looking a twat.

It was the most premature celebration I've ever experienced, and there is a bit of me deep down that is enjoying their current problems.

That said, they are a good club, with good fans, their ground is a good day/ night out and I miss being able to go to Dundee and spend time with good mates who support that club. I really enjoyed the occasion of the Friday night games up there last year.

I hope they have a couple of years more horrible pain before coming back up and living very much in Hibs' shadow for a few decades.

Good. Hope they rot.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Albanian Hibs View Post
    Good. Hope they rot.
    Aye we'd be in a fine state if every club we didn't like rotted

Blog Entries
    The funny thing is that despite their current woes DU will almost certainly still make the play offs. Then they're only a couple of decent performances, or an Alan Muir appointment, away from coming back up again. I find it hard to dislike a team that started life as Dundee Hibs & their celebrations against us in 12/16 were understandable as we were odds on favourites to win the league. They're certainly capable of bringing a bigger support to Er than 4 or 5 of the current top 12 so from a purely commercial consideration it would be good to see them ( & Pars ) back.

The whole point of getting back to the premier league was being able to watch Hibs compete with the big boys and for us to experience more ( for want of a better expression ) glamour games. Hibs v Dundee Utd is, Hibs v Hamilton, Ross County or Killie are not.

I don't get this revelling over Utd's current predicament and believe me I was as pissed off at them as anybody the day they relegated us, but we live in a country with very few 'big clubs' and in the context of Scottish football Dundee Utd are one. The last thing our game needs is for the likes of Utd to end up in the doldrums for a decade or more. I want to see Hibs doing well because we have risen above our direct competitors like Dundee Utd, not because we are the best of a bad bunch.

If Hibs hadn't made the spectacular comeback we have whose to say where we would be now .... it would have been extremely detrimental to Scottish football if we had gone the way we might have and Utd's demise would be no less damaging to our game overall, especially if their place in the top league is being taken by the likes of Livingston who have nothing whatsoever to bring to the table apart from a tidy stadium nobody goes to.

Absolutely nae sympathy.

I mind seeing someone with a half and half scarf when we played them last season. Obviously some fans with connections tae them.

No me though, long may they rot.

Left by mutual consent!
    They have over spent the past 15 years and now paying the price.

Dundee utd sent us down 20 year ago. Not bothered if they never come back up.

Give me Dundee over The Arabs any day.. but I'd have the Arabs in the SPL over some of the current lot
    Last edited by IWasThere2016; 28-03-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Remember . Dundee Hibernian , celebrated their Centenary , with a presentation at ER .

I have a strong dislike for United but a Dundee derby would only be good for the top league.

Agree with another poster that Livingston wouldn't offer much and Cappelow is a hole.

Personally i'd like the following swaps..

Dundee United for Hamilton
    Dunfermline for Ross County

St Mirren/Partick and St Johnstone are all much the same to me. St Mirren's away support at ER last season was terrific albeit it was a game of huge significance to them.

Hopefully Killie keep improving (not too much) as they have a decent fanbase when things are going well.

I'm all for promoting our game and we need the bigger clubs with larger supports in our top league.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    What a mess they are in just now. Sitting 4th and look a shambles on the park. Many saying they will go into admin if they don’t come up this season as they went big on wages bringing on Fyvie, Keatings and McDonald.

I never used to mind them but something in me now wants them to suffer. Not go bust but to linger in the championship for a long time.
    Spoke to a die hard Utd fan this morning who was at the game in Inverness last night and he says they were absolutely woeful. Not one of the team could pass a ball 6 yards.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    For Steven Thompson read Rod Petrie.
    For Laszlo read Terry Butcher.
    People have short memories, that car crash of a club was us not so long ago.
    I like United, they have decent fans and they stood up to the old Rangers a damn sight more than we did as a club.
    Maybe on the Football front to some degree but Hibs spent many a year and £££ on developing the clubs infrastructure...United have done none of that so I’m not sure the comparison is totally accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    Hope Dundee Utd and Dunfermline come up soon, both good clubs with decent fan bases that could add to the top league.
    I'm with this. Could point fingers at every club and their fans.

Clubs who would enhance the league through decent support. Also closer to home. Swap them with Hamilton and Ross County please.

Maybe in more recent times they've brought a decent support, but for years they held the record for the lowest crowds in Scotland's top league. And Dundee have always had a far better support than them. Always.

I hope United get back. I always liked the way they played football.

It won't be long before the calls for amalgamation in Dundee get going again. The city is on the up generally but I'm not sure they can support two top sides.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Maybe in more recent times they've brought a decent support, but for years they held the record for the lowest crowds in Scotland's top league. And Dundee have always had a far better support than them. Always.

Is that Dundee United you refer to?? if so, you've just made that up haven't you...There have always been clubs in the top league with less average attendance than United.. here is the averages..

http://www.fitbastats.com/dundeeutd/...attendance.php

Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    I’ve disliked them since the Levein / Houston days...chuck in that Skacel debacle and they can GTF in my book
    Ive disliked them a lot longer than that. Funnily enough since Maurice backpass used to play for them and they wasted time galore despite having good players.

Oh and the Matty Jack game. Never has another team deserved the outcome of poor refereeing. Brilliant

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    The whole point of getting back to the premier league was being able to watch Hibs compete with the big boys and for us to experience more ( for want of a better expression ) glamour games. Hibs v Dundee Utd is, Hibs v Hamilton, Ross County or Killie are not.

I don't get this revelling over Utd's current predicament and believe me I was as pissed off at them as anybody the day they relegated us, but we live in a country with very few 'big clubs' and in the context of Scottish football Dundee Utd are one. The last thing our game needs is for the likes of Utd to end up in the doldrums for a decade or more. I want to see Hibs doing well because we have risen above our direct competitors like Dundee Utd, not because we are the best of a bad bunch.

If Hibs hadn't made the spectacular comeback we have whose to say where we would be now .... it would have been extremely detrimental to Scottish football if we had gone the way we might have and Utd's demise would be no less damaging to our game overall, especially if their place in the top league is being taken by the likes of Livingston who have nothing whatsoever to bring to the table apart from a tidy stadium nobody goes to.
    My thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Ive disliked them a lot longer than that. Funnily enough since Maurice backpass used to play for them and they wasted time galore despite having good players.

Oh and the Matty Jack game. Never has another team deserved the outcome of poor refereeing. Brilliant
    What poor refereeing?

Their player feigned an injury to waste time, and one of their players put the ball out of play thinking it would be given back.

They had been wasting time for all of the second half. Matty Jack didn't give the ball back and Hibs went on and scored a winning goal.

If a player puts the ball out of play there is no obligation for the ball to be given back particularly if it was down to 'injury' to their own player. The referee would have stopped the match if he thought it was necessary and was quite correct to let Hibs keep the ball.

It actually did United a lot of good as their sense of moral outrage galvanised the team and they pulled clear of the relegation zone.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Is that Dundee United you refer to?? if so, you've just made that up haven't you...There have always been clubs in the top league with less average attendance than United.. here is the averages..

http://www.fitbastats.com/dundeeutd/...attendance.php
    Thanks for going to the trouble, I definitely stand corrected! I should say though that even though you were right to pull me up for it, I find some of the figures in that just a bit unbelieveable, and hard to accept, but your general point is probably right. I always remember going to games against them at Tannadice in the nineties and early 2000's and the only stand they ever seemed to fill was the one behind the goals at the home end. Shows how things have changed.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I don’t get the hate for them.

To me they’re just a run of the mill team like Motherwell, Killie or St J.

Pretty harmless and inoffensive, they just muddle along.

Gotta have some teams to play against that we don’t hate!

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    they are definitely in the doo doo, i feel they thought there were dead certs for promotion this year hence why they signed fyvie etc, they had to sell of their training ground recently to get some cash together.

not looking bright for them for the foreseeable and i think it'll be more than another year down there for united

Arabs have the reputation of being a big team.with an average home attendance of 4-5000,& a pish away crowd,would rather the pars came up.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Would love to see a Dundee Derby play-off final.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Worrying the amount of eyebrows being raised on here at a few of us all of a sudden not caring about Dundee United, what's the big issue? I don't deny united are one of the bigger clubs in the country and yeah they probably would fit the premier league better than the likes of Ross County and Hamilton but it's one less rival for us to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matty Jack game

Nuff said