hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dundee Utd.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure it’s ‘vanished’ but as we know too well money can buy you very little when you are not being run properly...much more likely that they’ve largely just wasted it on constant churn.
    The Utd fans must be raging at the way the club is being run. We had some dark days but we’ve bounced back and are prob as strong now as we have been in many years on and off the pitch.

I’ve a feeling Utd May struggle to bounce back though like we have.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    one of the many clubs who laughed and mocked us when we went down. **** them. hope they rot.
    This. Ever since the start of our decline and in some ways their resurgence they really seemed to have it in for us, always going on about us going down and rotting with Dundee, funny how time in football can change so quickly eh. A good team on their day and I can think of many a good game they've given us over the years but a team that has always seemed to attracted ********s, Levein, Houston, Wilkie, Daly and Skacel just to name a few. personally I can't say I miss them or Tannadice -shambolic stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one of the many clubs who laughed and mocked us when we went down. **** them. hope they rot.
    And rightly so - everyone enjoys mocking a big club whose’s fallen from grace. We were garbage and deserved to be laughed at. We did it with Rangers and Hearts because of the animosity between the clubs, but we’d all have a laugh if Aberdeen for example were relegated to the Championship too.

United for me have formed an important part of Scottish football history, and are a good club who’d enhance our league. I hope they survive and come back from this.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    And rightly so - everyone enjoys mocking a big club whose’s fallen from grace. We were garbage and deserved to be laughed at. We did it with Rangers and Hearts because of the animosity between the clubs, but we’d all have a laugh if Aberdeen for example were relegated to the Championship too.

United for me have formed an important part of Scottish football history, and are a good club who’d enhance our league. I hope they survive and come back from this.
    Yep. Very much this.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Work in Dundee and there are very few United fans. Fast majority are Dundee. Always found it surprising

Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    Work in Dundee and there are very few United fans. Fast majority are Dundee. Always found it surprising
    Always got impression that Utd had more fans in the leafier suburbs of Dundee than in the city itself. And of course Dundee has large OF element, particularly Celtic.

I've never minded Utd at all, back in the day got far more hassle at Dens than Tannadice. I cant get too precious about what their fans might have said when we got relegated. Overall found their support a decent bunch although like all supports ,including our own, they will have their fair share of phannies.

Would rather have them in top league than likes of Hamilton or Ross County. Having said that I think they will be stuck in Championship next season and with their problems being at boardroom level as well as on the pitch no guarantee they wont stay down for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    Having said that I think they will be stuck in Championship next season and with their problems being at boardroom level as well as on the pitch no guarantee they wont stay down for longer.
    It’s certainly looking worrying for them.

Mind you, everyone said the same when we lost against Falkirk and were facing a 3rd year in the Championship. Now look at us!

The margins are fine in football.

Where were we 15 months ago? Lennon under pressure, United had beaten us at Tannadice to go top of the Championship.

We weren't great last season, and we were helped massively by United's capitulation.

Now this season we've kicked on nicely.

Boardroom stability is key for me. Thomson is hot headed and shouldn't have sacked McKinnon. It might not have been perfect for them but they were 2nd in the league when he left. When you get into the cycle of blaming / sacking manager after manager it is a slippery slope. Managers need their chairmen to stand up to fan pressure and back them through shaky spells.

And fans with a sense of entitlement ( of whom United have a few ) need to get a grip of themselves and SUPPORT their club at times.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Other teams are probably just running out of games to knock them out the playoff spots, however they don’t have a hope in hell of coming up this year.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The margins are fine in football.

Where were we 15 months ago? Lennon under pressure, United had beaten us at Tannadice to go top of the Championship.

We weren't great last season, and we were helped massively by United's capitulation.

Now this season we've kicked on nicely.

Boardroom stability is key for me. Thomson is hot headed and shouldn't have sacked McKinnon. It might not have been perfect for them but they were 2nd in the league when he left. When you get into the cycle of blaming / sacking manager after manager it is a slippery slope. Managers need their chairmen to stand up to fan pressure and back them through shaky spells.

And fans with a sense of entitlement ( of whom United have a few ) need to get a grip of themselves and SUPPORT their club at times.
    Us hammering them at ER start of January put them back in their box.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Us hammering them at ER start of January put them back in their box.
    Looking back, it was a very significant result in terms of where the 2 teams have gone from there.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    The Utd fans must be raging at the way the club is being run. We had some dark days but we’ve bounced back and are prob as strong now as we have been in many years on and off the pitch.

I’ve a feeling Utd May struggle to bounce back though like we have.
    Unless they win a Scottish cup

Joking aside, it’s fair to say a huge part of our current crowds is down to the Scottish cup win. The number of folk that bought their first season ticket in years purely because “Hibs had done their bit” was amazing. Reinvigorated the whole support. If we hadn’t beat Rangers, it would be interesting to see how the next 22 months would have looked regarding who took over, how we performed in the championship and where we’d be now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    I don’t mind Dundee United at all, and hope they make a resurgence soon. I’d much rather play them 4 times a season than Hamilton or Ross County.
    Totally agree.

The way the fans and players celebrated at ER when they beat us and relegated us changed it for me.

**** them.

For Steven Thompson read Rod Petrie.
    For Laszlo read Terry Butcher.
    People have short memories, that car crash of a club was us not so long ago.
    I like United, they have decent fans and they stood up to the old Rangers a damn sight more than we did as a club.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Caveman Robbie a cert to be their next manager.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I’ve no ill feeling towards Dundee Utd, they’ve brought through some good young players and sold them on, they’ve invested well from the lower leagues in scotland, they just didn’t work out how to reinvest that money.

Imo they’ve got a decent set of fans and it’d be better for our premier league if they were to sort themselves out and get promoted again.
    Agree with this ...I don't get the hatred towards Utd on here at all...be better for our game if they were in top flight rather than an Accies or Ross Co...sadly not looking likely any time soon tho - they r in a sorry state

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    For Steven Thompson read Rod Petrie.
    For Laszlo read Terry Butcher.
    People have short memories, that car crash of a club was us not so long ago.
    I like United, they have decent fans and they stood up to the old Rangers a damn sight more than we did as a club.
    I have a few United fans as friends and they're decent and they feel the same way about their club that we did post relegation.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    This has happened once when Heggerty, Narey and Sturrock where still playing ever since then it has been a poor support. Nothing against them but don't care one way or the other what happens to them.
    That's rubbish...they brought decent crowds last season in championship and 2 recent league cup ties spring to mind also

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    That's rubbish...they brought decent crowds last season in championship and 2 recent league cup ties spring to mind also

Think he’s already said he got it wrong, and has apologised

Take away Jim McLean and his legacy and they are Dundee's Edinburgh City, a status they are rapidly returning to. I think Hibs, Hearts, A'deen and Huns will be a battling pack behind Smeltic, but distancing from the rest for a while to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsidehibby View Post
    The way the fans and players celebrated at ER when they beat us and relegated us changed it for me.

**** them.
    They’d just saved their own skins. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsidehibby View Post

**** them.
    They ensured their own safety that day, if hibs had won it was more than likely that Utd would have went down. Of course they were going to celebrate!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    "I hate you cos you laughed at me once, ya big rotter."

In fact, the club didn't laugh and mock us.

Some of their fans will have, just like some fans of every other Scottish football club, which is what rivals do.

I'm not going to lose any sleep if DU stay in the championship for a few seasons, but I don't want to see any football club going to the wall, never mind one with such a proud history.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Agree with this ...I don't get the hatred towards Utd on here at all...be better for our game if they were in top flight rather than an Accies or Ross Co...sadly not looking likely any time soon tho - they r in a sorry state

This.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Fighting with Falkirk for being the fifth or sixth best away support in Scotland is like two bald men fighting over a comb

Who's next after that Killie Hamilton ICT it is laughable. I admit I was wrong they have broke the 1000 barrier but I can assure you they have also fallen way below 500 on occasion.
    This is so Yammish.

We're a big club, we've got a big away support.

Yous are only wee. Ha ha ha.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Think he’s already said he got it wrong, and has apologised
    Apologies I hadn't read the whole thread...thanks for keeping me right...I'm duly scolded

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    "I hate you cos you laughed at me once, ya big rotter."

In fact, the club didn't laugh and mock us.

Some of their fans will have, just like some fans of every other Scottish football club, which is what rivals do.

I'm not going to lose any sleep if DU stay in the championship for a few seasons, but I don't want to see any football club going to the wall, never mind one with such a proud history.

Yes and we are laughing back. Don't think they were overly sympathetic when we were about to spend a third year in the championship so its bizarre some on here are towards them. Hibs first, **** everyone else.

My late Grandparents lived in Dundee and my Grandfather would take me to see whichever of the two teams were playing at home when I was visiting. I have fond memories of Dundee winning the league in '62 and actually listened to the match commentary when they thrashed Rangers 5-1 at Ibrox. In later years I watched Utd play Aberdeen when Utd were just establishing themselves as a force and they beat Aberdeen 4-1 if I remember correctly. They had a fantastic team in those days and managed to keep the nucleus of the side together. Great results in Europe and cheated out of a European Cup Final place, who knows what could have happened had they got through. Jim McLean was not a popular manager but he certainly knew how to get the best out of his players pre Bosman. They will never have the same kind of success again but they are a sad loss to the SPL.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    If it's a choice between Dundee Utd, Morton and Livi then give me the Arabs every day. Livi are a crappy wee club with no fans and Morton's ground is a joke. How people can still despise Utd solely because of Houston and Skacel I have no idea.