hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: David Beckham

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I give you Lassana Diarra. It’s not always an indication of you being world class.
    Different attributes needed though. Diarra was a defensive midfielder, you can probably play for a top team without being technically world class in that role. Did you watch Beckham play much? The corners? The free kicks? 265 games for Man Utd, 115 England caps!

Can't believe I'm actually sticking up for Beckham but to me it's bonkers not to think he was World Class.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Game against Greece at Old Trafford, he dragged them back into the game and eventually scored one of his trademark free kicks though the ref gave him a few tries to get it right. Think he is a guy who got the best out of himself and while many of the teams may have seen some commercial benefit in him playing for them there is no doubt he was a very good footballer.
    I was at that game, in fact it was my last England game, Beckham played on his own that day, he was immense on what was otherwise a pretty moderate England display.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Beckham was a good player who got the absolute most out of his talent. Which is admirable given how we can relate closer to home with some our our youngsters and wonder what might have been.

He had an excellent career, but I'm not always convinced it was solely down to his footballing ability. The "brand Beckham" and his ability to sell strips was a big factor in the likes of Real Madrid signing him. He only won 1 title and 1 charity shield in 4 years at Madrid which is a barren spell by their standards.

I thought he was a good player, but his reputation far outweighed his actual talent as he was as much a celebrity as he was a footballer.
    I agree. Very very good player but as you say "brand Beckham" probably increased his profile more than the football.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    English football star David Beckham has told the BBC that he was not insulted by his exclusion from Sir Alex Ferguson's list of four world-class Manchester United players - and he agreed.

Sir Alex said earlier this week that he only worked with four "world-class players" as boss of Manchester United - Paul Scholes, Eric Cantona, Cristiano Ronaldo and Ryan Giggs.

Asked if he was offended, Beckham said he agreed with Sir Alex, whom he called "the greatest manager of all time".

Now a Unicef ambassador, he spoke to the BBC's Laura Trevelyan at the United Nations in New York.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Interesting, right enough. Thanks for that.

Here's another take on it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...w-market-myths

By the by, this article ties itself in knots trying to prove that clubs do not earn much money from player shirt sales.

It ignores the fact that the size of the clubs deal with their shirt supplier depends at least in part on the marketability of their squad.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    By the by, this article ties itself in knots trying to prove that clubs do not earn much money from player shirt sales.

It ignores the fact that the size of the clubs deal with their shirt supplier depends at least in part on the marketability of their squad.
    True, but Man U and Real Madrid are unbelievably marketable with or without marquee signings.

If Beckham had been so important commercially, surely Man U wouldn't have sold him.

As far as shirt sales are concerned, I have never met, or heard of, anyone who has bought a football top because a particular player had signed for a team.

The folk who have Pogba or Neymar on the back of their shirts, already support those clubs and would have bought a shirt anyway.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I saw Beckham in the flesh playing on the right for England at Hampden. Outstanding technique and great work rate. Right foot was a wand. He made 100% of the talent he had which many players don’t.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

World Class players definitions will never be agreed upon. But what I can say is David Beckhams technique of striking a ball is absolutely legendary. Cross, free kick, shot, pass. It was always on point and he got it that way by hard graft. Honing what was a decent skill into one that could be described as world class.

That to me is why he earned my respect. He wasn’t quick, he wasn’t a skilful tricky player, but he worked immensely hard at being as good as he ended up being. Ultimately that was deemed good enough to play for Man Utd, Real Madrid, AC Milan, PSG, and of course to captain England. Not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    English football star David Beckham has told the BBC that he was not insulted by his exclusion from Sir Alex Ferguson's list of four world-class Manchester United players - and he agreed.

Sir Alex said earlier this week that he only worked with four "world-class players" as boss of Manchester United - Paul Scholes, Eric Cantona, Cristiano Ronaldo and Ryan Giggs.

Asked if he was offended, Beckham said he agreed with Sir Alex, whom he called "the greatest manager of all time".

Now a Unicef ambassador, he spoke to the BBC's Laura Trevelyan at the United Nations in New York.
    Tbf on red cafe they are rubbishing that claim. Schmeichal plus others were clearly world class during their time at United.

Beckham was a top player.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Beckham was a magnificent footballer with a wand of a foot and would get in any side at his peak: not Figo Zizou Scholes world class but just as good as anyone like Gerrard Below

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    Tbf on red cafe they are rubbishing that claim. Schmeichal plus others were clearly world class during their time at United.

Goram was better than Schmeichal

Used to have a similar debate to this with a workmate who "supported" Chelsea. Given X million pounds as Hibs boss, and told to buy either Beckham or Michael Owen at the time, I said I'd have taken Owen, simply cos he carried a constant goal threat. He had pace, trickery as well as vision to pick out a pass. Beckham was a very good player, but media hyped beyond his abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post

David Beckham was a top top player.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee16 View Post
    Maybe so. However that wasn't the point.

As great as Goram was he was not better than Peter Schmeichel. Shmeichel is possibly in my 10 greatest keepers of all time.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    At what? Not goal keeping that's for sure.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    At what? Not goal keeping that's for sure.
    Cricket

The dug on Corrie?