hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I took my boss (who'd never been to SF) a bit of a whistle stop tour yesterday around the city when we were up visiting from Palo Alto. I deliberately avoided Market etc, but he was staggered by how bad it was in the 'tourist' areas.

We encountered some absolutely gone individuals, including a couple (?) wearing tin foil hats (genuinely), with one of them licking the wall of the building and the other guy down on all fours licking the pavement yelling at her to "make sure it's clean"...it sounds like I'm trying to be humerous with that anecdote, but I'm absolutely not. The funny incident was when we were walking along Embarcadero, and some guy rollerbladed past us wearing nothing but a top hat and a small sock-like pouch covering his Johnson...

I think you're correct that the weather is undoubtedly a factor. I've heard the stories about the one-way bus tickets too - quite a sad state of affairs all around.
    What you saw sounds scary and I have seen some unusual things myself. There are a lot of homeless who should be in supervised care but for the reasons you mentioned before it isn't available. The rest of the homeless are from varying circumstances but a lot are not sick or addicted and I see folk with kids who look absolutely normal. To be honest, I think it is way worse than what we see traveling about our day. In LA we have one of the worst problems and it's not going to stop until they come up with some solutions. Maybe providing the addicts with free booze and drugs in some large dormitory with entertainment and medical facilities in a remote area. Any homeless person should be provided with access to shelter, toilet facilities and medical clinic.

I like this group and met a few people who volunteer http://myfriendsplace.org/who-we-are/ . It's a little ray of hope for some of the young homeless.

LA should release a few gang members from jail and bus them back to where our homeless get sent from.

2. Log in to remove the advert

No idea about San Francisco but the amount of homeless people in Hawaii is mental and a lot of these people do seem to have drug or mental health issues. Reason I'm bringing this up is that we were told that a lot of other States dump these guys in Hawaii and pay to FLY them there. We thought that was made up but upon reading that they dump people in California, who knows.

As a side note, surprised to read about Glasgow. I walk between Queen St and Central station most mornings and see dozens of people begging and sleeping rough every day.

First Team Regular
    In SF now. The homeless/ junkies/ mental health sufferers are everywhere.
    Had a few days in Vegas and felt much safet there!
    Both cities are wonderful for a visit but I wont be back to SF

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    Manchester's homeless problem sounds incredibly similar. I couldn't believe it when I moved here.

It feels like a losing battle for everyone concerned.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Iíve been doing some work on his in East London which has the highest level in the UK.

Most people who are homeless are being kicked out by private sector landlords so they can put the rents up. Anyone on low wages or benefits havenít a chance because the HB is so far below market rents. Meanwhile, the social rented hisuing is being sold off under the Tories right to buy programme and until Sadiq Khan got involved they were being replaced with units which rented for twice as high a rent.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    In SF now. The homeless/ junkies/ mental health sufferers are everywhere.
    Had a few days in Vegas and felt much safet there!
    Both cities are wonderful for a visit but I wont be back to SF
    I was in both cities a few years back and totally thought it was the opposite way around!

SF is (was) my favourite city in the world and I've always wanted to go back ..... reading this thread it seems disappointingly that's definitely no longer the case.
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.