hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Referee Bias

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But I thought refs don’t cheat according to some on here and we are all just paranoid 😁
    I don’t think the refs are cheats.

The chat on here is usually that they are biased against us, not cheats in general.

I don’t buy that either. Go on the forum of any team after they’ve dropped points and there will be a thread accusing the ref of cheating or bias!

There’s also absolutely nothing in the article suggesting that refs cheat.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

The chat on here is usually that they are biased against us, not cheats in general.

I don’t buy that either. Go on the forum of any team after they’ve dropped points and there will be a thread accusing the ref of cheating or bias!

There is nothing in that article to be concerned about. That all FIFA refs are from only 3 areas all of which are in or adjacent to Glasgow, that the first Edinburgh ref got a Scottish cup final was 107 years after the first one. Huge bias towards the west of scotland.

Yeah but nobody is saying the refs are cheats.

That’s my point.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Yeah but nobody is saying the refs are cheats.

That’s my point.
    I think if the structure is biased then it is fair to assume that some of the referees themselves will reflect that bias.

Refs cheat, they cheat teams all over Scotland! Whether it’s because they have money on these games I don’t know, but anyone who thinks every ref in Scotland is legit is very naive!

So between us we’re either paranoid or naive! Is there a middle ground?!

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Another area they should be reviewing is refs’ financial links to clubs. If they have shares in a club prior to becoming a ref, it seems to be enough to simply transfer them to your wife, or so a current match official told me a few years ago. I know in reality for most clubs there is going to be no financial gain in owning shares but that isn’t really the point.

I dont believe refs cheat. Yes they are incompetent. But very few go out of their way to cheat teams.

So between us we’re either paranoid or naive! Is there a middle ground?!
    Nope you have to just believe they cheat 😁

Joking aside, we all have different opinions but I can’t believe folk don’t think not one ref has cheated. I think it’s very common actually but again that’s just me.

I’ll concede that at some point in time various refs have probably cheated in some manner or another.

What I don’t accept is the chat on here that “our entire game is corrupt” or “refs are out to get us”.

I know I’m going over old ground here but it’s just not as simple as throwing these kind of allegations about. The best evidence that anyone comes up with is examples of decisions that have gone against us. That just doesn’t cut it.

Every descision is poured over by the media, cameras pick up everything, betting behaviours are monitored, sponsors and broadcasters have millions at stake etc etc.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard our Board or CEO make these allegations. Surely they’d be up in arms and screaming from the rooftops if they felt the way that you do?

If there was systematic cheating or corruption in our game how has nobody ever picked up on it? Every email and phone call leaves a trail, money is all electronic so can be followed and there’s just no chance that something could be organised to such a degree that it didn’t leak out.

The media would love that story so let’s not pretended that they’re complicit in it.

Anyways, I know I’m in the minority on this one and won’t chnage anybody’s mind.

If I honestly felt that all refs were cheats I just wouldn’t take an interest in football. Bear in mind that every time we win there will be fans of the other club making similar accusations.

If we all think the refs are against us then by definition someone has to be wrong!

I’ll concede that at some point in time various refs have probably cheated in some manner or another.

What I don’t accept is the chat on here that “our entire game is corrupt” or “refs are out to get us”.

I know I’m going over old ground here but it’s just not as simple as throwing these kind of allegations about. The best evidence that anyone comes up with is examples of decisions that have gone against us. That just doesn’t cut it.

Every descision is poured over by the media, cameras pick up everything, betting behaviours are monitored, sponsors and broadcasters have millions at stake etc etc.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard our Board or CEO make these allegations. Surely they’d be up in arms and screaming from the rooftops if they felt the way that you do?

If there was systematic cheating or corruption in our game how has nobody ever picked up on it? Every email and phone call leaves a trail, money is all electronic so can be followed and there’s just no chance that something could be organised to such a degree that it didn’t leak out.

The media would love that story so let’s not pretended that they’re complicit in it.

Anyways, I know I’m in the minority on this one and won’t chnage anybody’s mind.

If I honestly felt that all refs were cheats I just wouldn’t take an interest in football. Bear in mind that every time we win there will be fans of the other club making similar accusations.

If we all think the refs are against us then by definition someone has to be wrong!
    I’m not just talking about us, have you seen some of the decisions all the other teams have against them. Some shockers out there and that’s why I think some either have money on the outcome or just want other teams to benefit from another’s loss.

I’m sure there are ones who do their best and simply are just poor. But I’m 100% convinced more now than ever cheating is happening at the very top of our game right through to the refs.

With you on that front Chief.

Not totally disagreeing with you but - you are very naieve if think refs don't make decisions along the lines of I won't or will book him, I will give a corner or a bye kick, i did see a penalty or I did not. All these decision add up bit don't have an immediate impact on the outcome. But don't kid your self for example Marv on an early booking is the same player. Also the decisions are not made for gambling purposes they are made to maintain the natural order. Over the course of a season a few points here or there can be European place, top 6 maybe even second. That is all money and helps sell more tickets. Yes I know i sound paranoid but just ask Neil Lennon if he thinks he gets similar decisions at Hibs like he did at Celtic. I think I know the answer.

Celtic don’t need any help in picking up points.

Thats leaves Aberdeen, Rangers and Kilmarnock as our nearest rivals. Are the refs helping all three? Probably just Rangers yeah?

As for your natural order remark, behave. What you’d be talking there is a full scale conspiracy involving numerous parties all with the aim of what exactly? Getting Hearts above Hibs? Rangers to win the league?

For every ref that you think is against us you need to add in the 3 other officials at the game and possibly an observer in the stands.

And how about the other clubs fans? Whether they support Celtic, Rangers, Hamilton or Ross Co, there are those who think that refs are cheating against them. The old firm are probably the worst for it.

We used to scoff st them for complaining about refs every time they dropped points. Now we’re on the verge of doing the same.

Before live TV draws how often were the old firm drawn together in the cup? After live tv draws ? Coincidence?
    I am saying the old firm get far more decisions than everyone else put together and that is not a coincidence.
    If you come back to say they have more of the ball more chances blah blah why then did Hibs not benefit from more decisions when we had more of the ball in the championship. I am not saying refs were against Hibs merely we should have had more due to or Superior possession yet we didn't so how does that theory work for the old firm?

If you don't believe the old firm have been favoured for years we will just have to disagree. The only time I can recall Rangers getting blatant decisions against them was when Hearts beat them in the cup final. Hearts got a pen that was outside the box and then McCoist was denied a stonewaller let on.

Celtic don’t need any help in picking up points.

Thats leaves Aberdeen, Rangers and Kilmarnock as our nearest rivals. Are the refs helping all three? Probably just Rangers yeah?

As for your natural order remark, behave. What you’d be talking there is a full scale conspiracy involving numerous parties all with the aim of what exactly? Getting Hearts above Hibs? Rangers to win the league?

For every ref that you think is against us you need to add in the 3 other officials at the game and possibly an observer in the stands.

And how about the other clubs fans? Whether they support Celtic, Rangers, Hamilton or Ross Co, there are those who think that refs are cheating against them. The old firm are probably the worst for it.

We used to scoff st them for complaining about refs every time they dropped points. Now we’re on the verge of doing the same.
    What is it about refs that are not from Glasgow, Lanarkshire and Ayrshire that makes them less likely to succeed? How do you explain it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So yeah, getting back to the article, I can’t explain it. Maybe there’s just more trainee refs from these areas? Maybe they’re better? Maybe it is west coast bias. I really don’t know but on the face of it I’d agree with you guys.

I think the article is more to do with the selection process and promotions of refs though? I read it this morning and can’t be assed going back to read it again.

The discussion kinda moved on to “refs are cheats” which is a different subject and is the one I was talking about.

So yeah, getting back to the article, I can’t explain it. Maybe there’s just more trainee refs from these areas? Maybe they’re better? Maybe it is west coast bias. I really don’t know but on the face of it I’d agree with you guys.

I think the article is more to do with the selection process and promotions of refs though? I read it this morning and can’t be assed going back to read it again.

The discussion kinda moved on to “refs are cheats” which is a different subject and is the one I was talking about.
    I am not saying refs are out and out cheats but they are influenced by history, size of the crowd, media bias / scrutiny. If you deny Hamilton a pen it will be discussed and done in dusted in 15 minutes if you deny the old firm a pen it will be dissected on TV radio papers and social media for days on end. Sometimes making one decision over another is simply easier and better for career progression.

What you’d be talking there is a full scale conspiracy involving numerous parties all with the aim of what exactly? Getting Hearts above Hibs? Rangers to win the league?

That's some straw man your building there. You've an overdramatic take on things I'd say.

You wouldn't need the scenario above at all. You could get by with institutions with a century or more of inbuilt cultural bias and an ongoing continuation of that culture. You'd need individuals with the nads to make the most awful decisions they need to every now and then and brush it off. The media bruhaha always passes and the "ref" always stays in his post no matter who is in the stand or what the papers say.

That article in OP certainly shows a cultural bias, or maybe you have an alternative explanation. Cultural bias well popular these days, is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    I am not saying refs are out and out cheats but they are influenced by history, size of the crowd, media bias / scrutiny. If you deny Hamilton a pen it will be discussed and done in dusted in 15 minutes if you deny the old firm a pen it will be dissected on TV radio papers and social media for days on end. Sometimes making one decision over another is simply easier and better for career progression.
    It’s a quieter life for a Glasgow based ref to look after Rangers. And the SFA system appears to promote refs from that part of the country over others. That is surely something we want to investigate more and change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    That's some straw man your building there. You've an overdramatic take on things I'd say.

You wouldn't need the scenario above at all. You could get by with institutions with a century or more of inbuilt cultural bias and an ongoing continuation of that culture. You'd need individuals with the nads to make the most awful decisions they need to every now and then and brush it off. The media bruhaha always passes and the "ref" always stays in his post no matter who is in the stand or what the papers say.

That article in OP certainly shows a cultural bias, or maybe you have an alternative explanation. Cultural bias well popular these days, is it not?
    See my post above.

I’m in general agreement about the article, I’ve akready said I don’t have an explanation and I’ll need to look up cultural bias to see what you mean by that!

I’ll need to look up cultural bias to see what you mean by that!
    Don't stay up too late.