hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

Will there be a World Cup boycott?

Everyday the tension seems to be ratcheted up between Britain and Russia. We’ve had the foreign secretary(who admittedly is an idiot) likening the World Cup to the 1936 olympics in nazi Germany. Will there be a united front from European countries? I don’t want to get into the politics of this, more interested to know if people think that a boycott is a possibility, or even switching it to another country.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    well i'm proud that my beloved Scotland have already boycotted the WC in russia, if only engerlund had the guts/morals to do the same

p.s. no participating country will boycott :)

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    well i'm proud that my beloved Scotland have already boycotted the WC in russia, if only engerlund had the guts/morals to do the same

p.s. no participating country will boycott :)
    We knew mate.

United we stand here....

England will boycott the knockout stages anyway.

Left by mutual consent!
    No

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    No, the global brands who sponsor it won't allow the politicians or football authorities to do that.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Scotland have boycotted every World Cup after 1998, when Blatter arrived.

We are now continuing that noble position by boycotting Russia, and presumably the Qatar finals in 2022.

Makes me proud to be Scottish

-----------------

As for England, they quite obviously have no morals

Last edited by Keith_M; 22-03-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hope so, Scotland can then turn up in Moscow and do an Alan Wells and bring home the gold

Not a chance any team would boycott the tournament. There is far too much money at stake both for the Fa's involved and also for the players or more significantly their agents as World cups are where names are made and intercontinental transfer deals struck.

What does amuse me about this whole situation is what the reaction to the England team over there is going to be. There will be a much reduced travelling support and I think the crowds will be baying for England.
    The team will be holed up in their training base and will feel under siege from all around them. It could get very interesting.

We've only had the trial by media and spin so far. Not sure if such things as evidence and judicial proceedings are required any more. I'd say it will only be a boycott by the Royal Family so nothing to worry about

In all seriousness, I fear for any English Fans that travel over there and hope they get back safely.

The Russians were bad enough in France, so I dread to think what they'll be like at home, probably backed by officialdom.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    In all seriousness, I fear for any English Fans that travel over there and hope they get back safely.

The Russians were bad enough in France, so I dread to think what they'll be like at home, probably backed by officialdom.
    Yep. FIFA have so much to answer for in awarding Russia and Qatar back to back world cups.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Yep. FIFA have so much to answer for in awarding Russia and Qatar back to back world cups.
    Although I was gutted Scotland didnt make it, who in their right mind would want to go to Russia or Qatar?

France 20 years ago was amazing, as was Italy 1990. I cant see either of these places being anywhere near as punter friendly.

Oh, and as for FIFA awarding the competitions, well its all bribery and corruption now under the guise of "moving the competition out of its european heartlands and leaving a legacy". It is horse manure when the commonwealth games people say it, but a bigger pile when FIFA say it.

Never should have been there anyway, but short of open war I can’t think there’d be a boycott, hell I wouldn’t be surprised if commercial clauses prevent it. Any country refusing to go would probably get sued.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Everyday the tension seems to be ratcheted up between Britain and Russia. We’ve had the foreign secretary(who admittedly is an idiot) likening the World Cup to the 1936 olympics in nazi Germany. Will there be a united front from European countries? I don’t want to get into the politics of this, more interested to know if people think that a boycott is a possibility, or even switching it to another country.
    The same world cup the England players all did a nazi salute at.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Don’t FIFA have some ridiculous rule that member associations can’t be seen to be influenced by their nation’s government? I think because of that any country that boycotts the World Cup will be severely punished by FIFA.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

I think the Russians will roll out the red carpet for the English - really go over the top with the hospitality and make a big deal of all the efforts they go to in protecting them. It's great PR for them, and if the English go home unscathed Putin gets all the credit.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

It's been brought up by at least one Tory MP. Most people in their right mind would realise that boycotting it would make no statement or difference whatsoever. FIFA would just replace England with Italy and the rest of the world wouldn't notice.

Blog Entries
    I don’t think there will be a boycott, especially from European countries. With Brexit, I don’t think our relationship with them is all it might be and they won’t cut off their noses, economically or in principle, to spite their faces, just because Russia has kicked us in the balls, metaphorically speaking.

Has there been any proof of who did it yet? I haven't been keeping up.

I hope there isn't a boycott. What would happen to the already printed Panini album for a start?

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    I think the Russians will roll out the red carpet for the English - really go over the top with the hospitality and make a big deal of all the efforts they go to in protecting them. It's great PR for them, and if the English go home unscathed Putin gets all the credit.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    Even before this latest spat between the UK and Russia I thought this would be the case. The Russians do not want to leave the rest of the world thinking they cant control a few hooligans and IMO anybody considered a danger to that would have been removed from the picture for the duration of the tournament.

If the English fans did end up being attacked the Russian government would be open to accusations of encouraging it under the current state of affairs, never mind being too incompetent to police their hooligans. From that POV the England fans are probably even safer than they were, not in more danger, because even though Putin clearly doesn't give a toss what the rest of the world thinks of his actions what he does care about is looking weak and a failure to protect fans from hooliganism at such a prestigious event would make him look just that.

Will England boycott the tournament? ......... not a chance.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Wouldnt have thought that would go down too well in a country that fought the Nazis and lost 20 million people in the process.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Nonsensical wee sun reading UK residents, you heard it here 1st, the rest of the world barely kens where that rubbish weather brexit foolish wee self centred island is, never mind being big time worried wether engerlund actually show up to the World Cup or not!

It's a disgrace it was awarded to Russia in the first place but there's no way there will be a boycott.

Quote Originally Posted by F'Res Hibbie View Post
    It's been brought up by at least one Tory MP. Most people in their right mind would realise that boycotting it would make no statement or difference whatsoever. FIFA would just replace England with Italy and the rest of the world wouldn't notice.
    While I agree that boycotting would make no difference to the tournament I feel it would definitely make a statement. Sometimes the thoughts and impressions of others is not the only reason to do something. Sometimes, knowing you've done "the right thing" is the reward.

I don't think there are many people who don't believe the award of the tournament was, in any way, fair and honest. That's one example of Russia's disregard for the rest of the world. We also have the military annexing of Crimea, shooting down the Malaysian airliner to discredit Ukraine and the nerve agent attack. Those are just three examples of Russia's complete disregard for international law, there are many others.

I believe, to be entitled to any feeling of self respect, we (I mean Britain) need to make a statement and say far queue Putin we've had enough of your bullying tactics, we are not your friends and we want nothing to do with you unless you change your policy's. Of course it will change nothing in the short term but somebody has to be the first to stand up and say no.

There is a saying that goes "evil triumphs when good men do nothing". Read some history and you'll see the truth in that.

This is about so much more than just a football tournament.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    Nonsensical wee sun reading UK residents, you heard it here 1st, the rest of the world barely kens where that rubbish weather brexit foolish wee self centred island is, never mind being big time worried wether engerlund actually show up to the World Cup or not!
    you really do spout some rubbish on here

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Wouldnt have thought that would go down too well in a country that fought the Nazis and lost 20 million people in the process.
    The same Russia that boycotted the same Olympics, whilst Britain took part.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    I don't know how you would test these things but I'd be willing to bet that in any global geography test the UK would easily finish top ten if not top five of countries that people every where could find on a map. The history (good and bad), the soft power of music/entertainment/literature, global brands like Royal Family/Golf/Whisky, the universal language and a lot more besides guarantee that.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    When I first read the title of this thread I assumed it was about the price increase of the panini stickers for this years World Cup.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    No one is going to boycott the world cup. Would be completely pointless.