hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    The derbies at Easter Road during Mowbray's time were special. Will never forget how the old East looked when Riordan scored those screamers against them - what a sight, bedlam.

Other than the obvious games, the midweek semi against Rangers in the CIS cup was ****ing amazing, quite a small section of Hibs fans but probably the most boisterous away support I've been in, what a night.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    0-7. Realising I'd just had a once in a lifetime experience - then again, maybe not.
    Last edited by snooky; 22-03-2018 at 11:50 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    1. 2016 Scottish cup final

2 New years day 1973

3 6-1 against Sporting Lisbon after being 2-1 down

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    As a young impressionable Jambo my old man took me to Easter Road in 1968 for the first time (aged 10). The occasion was the Fairs City Cup second round second leg versus Leeds Utd 0-1 on aggregate . In front of a 40000 crowd when the teams ran out under the old floodlights the sight of the green jerseys and the white sleeves reflecting off the lights and the green grass the smell of tabacco and the roar and anticipation of the crowd as soon as Clive Thomas blew his whistle to start the game the green jerseys swarmed around the Leeds box Colin Stein scored with a sublime volley from an acute angle in the first minute lobbing Gary Sprake sending the home fans into raptures squaring the tie on aggregate . I was converted even although the Hibees lost that tie little knowing I was committing my self to fifty years of torture and pain. Glad I saw the Tornadoes and the Holy Grail which unfortunately the old boy never saw.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As a young impressionable Jambo my old man took me to Easter Road in 1968 for the first time (aged 10). The occasion was the Fairs City Cup second round second leg versus Leeds Utd 0-1 on aggregate . In front of a 40000 crowd when the teams ran out under the old floodlights the sight of the green jerseys and the white sleeves reflecting off the lights and the green grass the smell of tabacco and the roar and anticipation of the crowd as soon as Clive Thomas blew his whistle to start the game the green jerseys swarmed around the Leeds box Colin Stein scored with a sublime volley from an acute angle in the first minute lobbing Gary Sprake sending the home fans into raptures squaring the tie on aggregate . I was converted even although the Hibees lost that tie little knowing I was committing my self to fifty years of torture and pain. Glad I saw the Tornadoes and the Holy Grail which unfortunately the old boy never saw.
    well done to you sir

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    My dad taking me to Easter Road for my first game, this ensured I would be on the greatest rollercoaster journey of my life. PS my first game was a 5-1 defeat of Partick Thistle

There have many over the years but everything else was eclipsed by the Scottish cup win

Away from games that have all been covered, I really enjoyed the Essen 50th anniversary trip, particularly the few hours spent in the RWE supporters club, pre/post match.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Top, top post. That could easily be the opening paragraph in an autobiographical book on supporting Hibernian.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Top, top post. That could easily be the opening paragraph in an autobiographical book on supporting Hibernian.

I think you're initial post just shades it.

Moments

The 7-0 game was an amazing game for a 10 year old laddie and is right up there.
    All the League Cup victories
    21-05-2016, for sure.

but my favourite with the advantage of hindsight was I think summer 1992, a pre season game at Deveronvale, on a p*shing wet afternoon. My oldest sons first Hibs game and I didn’t know it at the time but my grannnys last Hibs game.
    the lady who made me a Hibbee.
    ” Forever we’ll be singing”

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by highland hibbee View Post

but my favourite with the advantage of hindsight was I think summer 1992, a pre season game at Deveronvale, on a p*shing wet afternoon. My oldest sons first Hibs game and I didn’t know it at the time but my grannnys last Hibs game.
    The passing of the torch. Beautiful.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    Some may have more sentimental value, or you just had a bloody good day out. Last minute winners, celebrations after the match, anything you like really.

1. Sunshine on Leith at the Scottish Cup Final. I’d flow from New Zealand for the match to surprise my dad, and as such couldn’t get a ticket next to him for the game. I knew roughly where in the stadium he was sitting in, so when David Gray banged in that winner, the pitch invasion meant I was able find him, just in time to sing Sunshine on Leith in celebration together. A truely special moment.
    2. CIS Cup Final. Never thought I was ever going to see Hibs win a trophy, and when we did it was worth the wait. The celebrations in the stadium after, bouncing around to Chelsea Dagger and I’m On My Way.
    3. Brondby away trip. Specifically marching through the centre of Copenhagen on the way to the game. The trip was incredible - felt like such a poiganant moment having so many fans there truely enjoying being a Hibs fan again after years of torment in the Scottish Cup and relegation, seemed like we were on the up on the way to the big time again. The scenes at the goal we scored, and the 3 day long party obviously added to the experience!
    3. Winning at Ibrox 3-0. There’s been a hell of a lot of 3-0 wins there, but this was when it was still a novelty. When O’Connor, Sproule and Killen all scored in the cup, and there was 5-7k Hibees. I thought the stand was going to fall down each time we scored, and someone near me celebrated so hard, one of the seats snapped. I still have a piece of Ibrox in my memory box - quarantined of course.
    4. Scottish Cup Final parade. The scenes in Edinburgh were amazing - made me proud to be a Hibee.
    5. Watching the Millennium Derby on TV. Think it was the first time I’d watched us win at Tynecastle. Didn’t matter that I wasn’t at the game, as a kid, I think I replayed the Sauzee goal non stop for the next 3 days.
    6. Sir David Gray’s goal. Was actually a bit of a blur and can’t remember the moment too well - can’t not include it though!
    7. The moment Tony Stokes scored the first goal in the cup final. It was completely unknown territory for us Hibs fans at the time - don’t think we’d ever been in a winning position in a Scottish Cup Final in my lifetime. It felt good.
    8. Sunshine on Leith vs AEK Athens. The best atmosphere I’ve ever seen at Easter Road.
    9. Helicopter Sunday (controversial one I know!) It was the first time I’d ever gone to a game without my dad, took a friend and had a couple of drinks beforehand. Despite the horrible feeling of seeing Rangers (RIP) win the league in our ground, it was still an amazing spectical to watch. Of course, I wouldn’t have been saying that if we hadn’t just qualified for Europe and celebrated with our own pitch invasion before the SPL trophy was flown in.
    10. Stokes early goal against Rangers at Easter Road. Think it was when John Hughes was in charge at the time. We’d started the season absolutely flying and people were talking us up as actual title contenders. When we took the lead, I think everyone around me truely believed. I was in the old east stand and ended up 4 or 5 rows forward during the goal celebration. Think we got humped eventually.

We definitely got humped that day Stokes scored that early goal, pretty sure at the time it was the earliest goal in SPL history, not sure though. I was around 10 at the time and I can remember getting a hot dog, taking a bite as the game kicked off and almost choking on it 15 seconds later when we scored. Pretty sure that game ended 4-1 to them though. We were right up there at the top of the league as well, sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by Deejk107 View Post
    We definitely got humped that day Stokes scored that early goal, pretty sure at the time it was the earliest goal in SPL history, not sure though. I was around 10 at the time and I can remember getting a hot dog, taking a bite as the game kicked off and almost choking on it 15 seconds later when we scored. Pretty sure that game ended 4-1 to them though. We were right up there at the top of the league as well, sickening.
    It was indeed 1-4.

Liam Miller had a pass intercepted and they scored their equaliser from it and we crumbled. It didn't help that MaKalambay chucked 2 in in the 2nd half. Beaten at his near post for the 3rd, then let a very tame shot trickle under his hands for the 4th.

We signed Graeme Smith a few days later so at least we sorted the problem.....

Getting away from the big games, I remember the cup game at Tynie (13/2/71) when Arthur Duncan scored the winner in the 80th min to make it 1-2. Cracking game & result.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by highland hibbee View Post
    The 7-0 game was an amazing game for a 10 year old laddie and is right up there.
    All the League Cup victories
    21-05-2016, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Getting away from the big games, I remember the cup game at Tynie (13/2/71) when Arthur Duncan scored the winner in the 80th min to make it 1-2. Cracking game & result.
    A great pal of mine to this day does a hilarious commentary of that goal featurimg Davie Clunie saying to Arthur, on you go then, no one can score from that angle!!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    There is the one specific moment that will live with me (and most of us) until my dying day, and that's when the net rippled from David Gray's header at Hampden - those immediate few seconds of utter pandemonium in the Hibs end were as good as it will ever get at the football.

That aside:

- Seeing the Scottish Cup being lifted, then the subsequent parade on the Sunday
    - Rob Jones opening the scoring in the CIS Cup Final and Sunshine on Leith at full time
    - Wotherspoon knocking them out the cup in 2013
    - Cummings scoring to knock them out on the way to win it
    - Grant Holt scoring against them
    - Paul Hanlon's header to make it 2-2
    - The ball hitting the bar, then getting cleared off the line in that game (a total turnaround in fortune from derbies in days gone by)
    - 3-0 v Rangers (take your pick which one)
    - James Keatings last minute goal v Falkirk which essentially secured the Championship title
    - Beating Aberdeen in the cup to end their winning run while we were in the Championship
    - Latapy for number 6
    - Sauzee in the Millenium derby

There will be loads more, but those are the ones that spring immediately to mind
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent!
    Tynie 1999
    Tam McManus winner at Killie in the Cup.
    Celtic 1 Hibs 3
    Rangers 0 Hibs 3 (Ivan and in the Cup)
    Hibs 4 Huns 0

All up there but miles behind the Final which was the final before the ultimate final.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Had a wee think and John O'Neil's late equaliser at Tiny Tynie.
    Taking my kids to their first games, all of them way too young to be there but it's easier to brainwash them the younger they are.
    My first ever derby, 2-1 to the good guys n the SC 1/4 final at ER
    Mickey Weir returning
    Our stand against Der Hun and the DR when they tried to sign Scott Allan
    The way we defeated Mercer
    Skol cup 1991
    CIS cup 2007
    Anderlecht home and away
    Natural Order? banner.
    George Best in a Hibs shirt
    Just being Hibs, and not being the OF
    Loads and loads more

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    So many magical moments & so many disasters as well but for me the seminal moment was when Alastair McKenzie blew the final whistle on Dec 9, 1972.
    !. That was our 1st cup win for 70 years & I was just a child when we won league titles in the fifties. There was probably no one there who had seen us win a cup before.
    2. I had already seen us lose 3 cup finals & the pain from the 6-1 loss only 7 months earlier was still present.
    3. That the goals were scored by my 2 friends & 2 subsequent Hibs legends was only the icing on the cake.
    4. That game presaged the greatest period of play ever from Hibs in my time. 8-1 against Ayr the next game, a 1-1 draw at Darkheid, a 3-2 win over Aberdeen which was an outstanding game & of course a pleasant little sojourn to PBS on 1/1/73 where we scored our 105th to 111th competitive goals that season!

As we've won another 2 league cups since & another trophy IIRC a couple of years ago, younger fans may not appreciate the history of that breakthrough but the League Cup was starting to take on the same hoodoo like qualities as the big trophy. That win broke the hoodoo & also ensured The Tornadoes had at least one tangible result to show for their wonderful entertaining football.
    Great post. Agree, that cup win was special. Was just a youngster in the old Hampden North Stand that day. We should have strolled it on balance of play. Was also at Tynecastle a few weeks later. Heady times!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1. Scottish Cup Final 2016 ( My son's first ever pitch invasion! )
    2. League Cup final 1991 (Pay at the gate, only just got in! )
    3. League Cup final 2007 (My daughter's first trip to Hampden.)
    4. AEK Athens game (Took my nephew, he was a Jambo. Unfortunately he still is, wee phanny! )
    5. 6-2 Against Hearts (Spoiled by a poor away crowd! )
    6. 1985 League Cup final (even though we got cuffed, I was 13, and I came back from a 2 week Youth Club trip to Holland on the Saturday before the game and didn't know I had a ticket. My mum had queued at ER to get me a match and a bus ticket. Cheers Mum! )
    7. I'll always remember going into B&Q in Inglis Green Road while drawing 0-0 with Rangers (old) away, and coming out about 20 minutes later to some sub lad scoring a hattrick!
    8. My first game at ER was to see George Best, I can't remember much about that one, but my second game was a game after my uncle took me to that we won 8-0. I think it was Morton or Killie. I remember the West Stand singing "we want 8!" My first ever song at a Hibs game!

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I remember getting a rosette before the game

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    So many magical moments & so many disasters as well but for me the seminal moment was when Alastair McKenzie blew the final whistle on Dec 9, 1972.
    !. That was our 1st cup win for 70 years & I was just a child when we won league titles in the fifties. There was probably no one there who had seen us win a cup before.
    2. I had already seen us lose 3 cup finals & the pain from the 6-1 loss only 7 months earlier was still present.
    3. That the goals were scored by my 2 friends & 2 subsequent Hibs legends was only the icing on the cake.
    4. That game presaged the greatest period of play ever from Hibs in my time. 8-1 against Ayr the next game, a 1-1 draw at Darkheid, a 3-2 win over Aberdeen which was an outstanding game & of course a pleasant little sojourn to PBS on 1/1/73 where we scored our 105th to 111th competitive goals that season!

As we've won another 2 league cups since & another trophy IIRC a couple of years ago, younger fans may not appreciate the history of that breakthrough but the League Cup was starting to take on the same hoodoo like qualities as the big trophy. That win broke the hoodoo & also ensured The Tornadoes had at least one tangible result to show for their wonderful entertaining football.
    Here ye go .....Hibs v Ayr.jpg

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    3-0 Scottish cup win at Ibrox with around 8k Hibs fans in the away end will always be right up there. The stand was literally shaking.

Thats a myth. There was Rangers fans in that stand with us that day.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Thats a myth. There was Rangers fans in that stand with us that day.
    5,000 hibs fans - they had a small gap beside the main stand.

Apart from winning cups and european nights my favourite times have been winning in Glasgow when nobody gave us any chance and not many even made the trip through.

1) 2016 Cup win

2) CIS Cup win 2007, mainly because it was the first time my son saw Hibs lift a trophy - He had his shirt signed by Lawrie Reilly pre match and was star struck, what a day for both of us :)

3) Anderlecht v Hibs 1993 my first European adventure with Hibs, fantastic 3 days

@hibs.net private member Silver Fox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madabouthibs View Post
    4. AEK Athens game (Took my nephew, he was a Jambo. Unfortunately he still is, wee phanny! )
    6. 1985 League Cup final (even though we got cuffed, I was 13, and I came back from a 2 week Youth Club trip to Holland on the Saturday before the game and didn't know I had a ticket. My mum had queued at ER to get me a match and a bus ticket. Cheers Mum! )
    7. I'll always remember going into B&Q in Inglis Green Road while drawing 0-0 with Rangers (old) away, and coming out about 20 minutes later to some sub lad scoring a hattrick!
    8. My first game at ER was to see George Best, I can't remember much about that one, but my second game was a game after my uncle took me to that we won 8-0. I think it was Morton or Killie. I remember the West Stand singing "we want 8!" My first ever song at a Hibs game!
    Thought we were gonna go through the whole thread without someone else mentioning that, what an atmosphere that night.

Quote Originally Posted by madabouthibs View Post
    The 8-0 gemme was actually 8-1 v Killie; we were generally crap at the time but capable of these one off performances and had drawn with the genuinely great Dundee Utd team 3-3 at Tannadice the week before, having been 3-1 down! Gordon Rae scored in both matches while playing centre-half for a daft random fact.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hibs v Napoli 1967. My first match under floodlights and first European game. A magical night.