hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favourite ever Hibs moments as a Hibs supporter

Some may have more sentimental value, or you just had a bloody good day out. Last minute winners, celebrations after the match, anything you like really.

1. Sunshine on Leith at the Scottish Cup Final. I’d flow from New Zealand for the match to surprise my dad, and as such couldn’t get a ticket next to him for the game. I knew roughly where in the stadium he was sitting in, so when David Gray banged in that winner, the pitch invasion meant I was able find him, just in time to sing Sunshine on Leith in celebration together. A truely special moment.
    2. CIS Cup Final. Never thought I was ever going to see Hibs win a trophy, and when we did it was worth the wait. The celebrations in the stadium after, bouncing around to Chelsea Dagger and I’m On My Way.
    3. Brondby away trip. Specifically marching through the centre of Copenhagen on the way to the game. The trip was incredible - felt like such a poiganant moment having so many fans there truely enjoying being a Hibs fan again after years of torment in the Scottish Cup and relegation, seemed like we were on the up on the way to the big time again. The scenes at the goal we scored, and the 3 day long party obviously added to the experience!
    3. Winning at Ibrox 3-0. There’s been a hell of a lot of 3-0 wins there, but this was when it was still a novelty. When O’Connor, Sproule and Killen all scored in the cup, and there was 5-7k Hibees. I thought the stand was going to fall down each time we scored, and someone near me celebrated so hard, one of the seats snapped. I still have a piece of Ibrox in my memory box - quarantined of course.
    4. Scottish Cup Final parade. The scenes in Edinburgh were amazing - made me proud to be a Hibee.
    5. Watching the Millennium Derby on TV. Think it was the first time I’d watched us win at Tynecastle. Didn’t matter that I wasn’t at the game, as a kid, I think I replayed the Sauzee goal non stop for the next 3 days.
    6. Sir David Gray’s goal. Was actually a bit of a blur and can’t remember the moment too well - can’t not include it though!
    7. The moment Tony Stokes scored the first goal in the cup final. It was completely unknown territory for us Hibs fans at the time - don’t think we’d ever been in a winning position in a Scottish Cup Final in my lifetime. It felt good.
    8. Sunshine on Leith vs AEK Athens. The best atmosphere I’ve ever seen at Easter Road.
    9. Helicopter Sunday (controversial one I know!) It was the first time I’d ever gone to a game without my dad, took a friend and had a couple of drinks beforehand. Despite the horrible feeling of seeing Rangers (RIP) win the league in our ground, it was still an amazing spectical to watch. Of course, I wouldn’t have been saying that if we hadn’t just qualified for Europe and celebrated with our own pitch invasion before the SPL trophy was flown in.
    10. Stokes early goal against Rangers at Easter Road. Think it was when John Hughes was in charge at the time. We’d started the season absolutely flying and people were talking us up as actual title contenders. When we took the lead, I think everyone around me truely believed. I was in the old east stand and ended up 4 or 5 rows forward during the goal celebration. Think we got humped eventually.

2. Log in to remove the advert

3-0 Scottish cup win at Ibrox with around 8k Hibs fans in the away end will always be right up there. The stand was literally shaking.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    1. David Grays header
    2. Lifting the trophy
    3. The parade
    4. CIS cup final
    5. Beating Rangers 4-0 at ER. Was the most one sided game against one of the OF that we’ll ever see.

Coaching Staff
    The Scottish Cup win.

Being at Tynecastle on 1/1/73.

All of the above, plus:

* the unfurling of the "Natural Order ?" banner. One of the truly great Easter Road moments.
    * Hibs v Dundee Utd (1986) - wasn't there, but have heard plenty about it!
    * "Booked for being ugly"

First Team Regular
    21/05/16 then closely followed by Hibs vs Sporting Lisbon ... 2 great games that stick on my mind .

Scottish Cup final 21st May 2016. Nothing else even comes close.

Don’t forget 6-2 (going on 10+) and 0-7

First Team Regular Salt N Sauzee's Avatar
    David Gray 21/05/2016. Close the thread

Left by mutual consent!
    To add to those already mentioned I'll add the 2-0 "unbeatable" derby, incredible atmosphere that day and the roof was coming off when O'Connor slammed in the 2nd.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Ignoring the obvious ones:

Wotherspoon scoring to make their cup reign as short as it could have been. It seemed to be headed for a boring 0-0 and that came out of nowhere.

Lewis Stevenson's lap of honour at his testimonial to SoL. So well deserved.

The Falkirk 4-3 game. Never felt so angry as when the third goal went in. Total elation at Sparky's thunderbolt to win it.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Scottish cup apart, Rob Jones scoring that first goal at the CIS cup final, I can see now as if it happened yesterday, the big beautiful baldy *******.

The "Souness" game, absolutely mental atmosphere that day.

Quote Originally Posted by LithgaeHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All of the above, plus:

* the unfurling of the "Natural Order ?" banner. One of the truly great Easter Road moments.

* Hibs v Dundee Utd (1986) - wasn't there, but have heard plenty about it!
    * "Booked for being ugly"
    Will gain legendary status as the years go on. Brilliant moment.

The cup parade. Missed the final due to a bereavement.
    Skol cup final/semi final
    Steve Archibald goal at Tynecastle.
    Geebsie’s goal to end that run at Tynecastle
    Copenhagen
    Hands off Hibs rally at ER
    Last edited by Hillsidehibby; 22-03-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Hanlon at Tynie, El Alagui to clinch it against hearts a few years back, Doyle equaliser vs falkirk, Riordan pen at tynie, caldwell winner at tynie, boruc spilling zemmama's shot and shiels scoring in the last minute, zemmama vs hearts, benji vs hearts, malonga vs the sheep, griffiths vs celtic, Liam Craig vs the huns, maclaren at ibrox a few weeks back, maclaren vs hearts, Shinnie vs hearts, Fletcher scoring the fifth vs Killie

Ian Black being subbed after Scott Allan ripped the complete pish out him for 35 minutes was also a great moment
    Last edited by we are hibs; 22-03-2018 at 09:18 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    A simple thing about the whole match experience is I love meeting my sons and mates for a wee blether in the pub before and after a match.

Joe Baker's 4 goals against the Jambos
    Joe Baker kissing the ground at ER.
    Bobby Kinloch penalty vs Barcelona
    Bobby Duncan goal vs Napoli
    All 7 at Tynecastle 01.01.1973.

Enough to be going on with.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Hanlon at Tynie, El Alagui to clinch it against hearts a few years back, Doyle equaliser vs falkirk, Riordan pen at tynie, caldwell winner at tynie, boruc spilling zemmama's shot and shiels scoring in the last minute, zemmama vs hearts, benji vs hearts, malonga vs the sheep, griffiths vs celtic, Liam Craig vs the huns, maclaren at ibrox a few weeks back, maclaren vs hearts, Shinnie vs hearts, Fletcher scoring the fifth vs Killie

Ian Black being subbed after Scott Allan ripped the complete pish out him for 35 minutes was also a great moment
    The goal he scored where he ran the length of the pitch to the Hearts fans?

https://youtu.be/yDF9SweCJYk Probably the best save Zibi ever made!

Blog Entries
    So many magical moments & so many disasters as well but for me the seminal moment was when Alastair McKenzie blew the final whistle on Dec 9, 1972.
    !. That was our 1st cup win for 70 years & I was just a child when we won league titles in the fifties. There was probably no one there who had seen us win a cup before.
    2. I had already seen us lose 3 cup finals & the pain from the 6-1 loss only 7 months earlier was still present.
    3. That the goals were scored by my 2 friends & 2 subsequent Hibs legends was only the icing on the cake.
    4. That game presaged the greatest period of play ever from Hibs in my time. 8-1 against Ayr the next game, a 1-1 draw at Darkheid, a 3-2 win over Aberdeen which was an outstanding game & of course a pleasant little sojourn to PBS on 1/1/73 where we scored our 105th to 111th competitive goals that season!

As we've won another 2 league cups since & another trophy IIRC a couple of years ago, younger fans may not appreciate the history of that breakthrough but the League Cup was starting to take on the same hoodoo like qualities as the big trophy. That win broke the hoodoo & also ensured The Tornadoes had at least one tangible result to show for their wonderful entertaining football.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    1. 21/05/16
    2. Hanlon 90+1
    3. Falkirk semi final, coming back from 3-0 down to win 4-3 really was something special
    4. 4-0 v Rangers at ER
    5. 3-1 replay v them last season, first and only time I've really seen us completely dominate Hearts in terms of chances and scoreline

For sentimental value: coming out of the East Terracing after beating Hearts 2-1 in 1987 (our first since win over them since they came back up in '83) and bumping into my auld man outside; he'd been in Greece on holiday and had got back that day, I hadn't seen him and didnae know he had a ticket for the match!

Big hug, then off he went to Jimmy O'Rourke's pub, where Joe Baker joined the celebrating Hibs fans along with Tommy Gemmell (both managing at Albion Rovers at the time). My dad said he felt a bit sorry for Gemmell - everyone ignored him and flocked round Joe!

Beating the great Dino Zoffs Napoli 5-0 , can still almost feel the sense of disbelief of that great night .First ever trophy win watch ,the 1972 League Cup win .The best performance, I think I've seen in a match by a Hibs player ,for me ,was tha day by the peerless Pat Stanton . But of course ,the greatest day of all ,the day I dreaded I may never see , the day Hibernian won the Scottish Cup .What a joy it's been being a Hibee

3rd of May 1975

The day I realised that by 'supporting' Celtic I was being a traitor to my roots, my city and a stinky wee glory hunting radge. The 2nd best decision I ever made, the first being which Edinburgh club to support, and I've never looked back ..... what a rollercoaster ride though

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    Will gain legendary status as the years go on. Brilliant moment.
    My moment of the season so far by a country mile

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Not in any order but:

All things 21/5/16.

CIS cup final - my cousins came down from Shetland for it and there was something in the air that day, just a supreme confidence we would waltz it.

Beating the Huns 3-0 in the Scottish cup at Ibrox

6-2 - I was there and the memories are blurred but I was!

Spoony scoring the goal in the SC against Hearts

Natural order banner being unveiled

A weird one but the night of the 3-0 defeat in the SC to Celtic. Went to Robbies and had a party that night - doing a conga in one door and out the other was great fun.

Colin Nish scoring a hat trick v Motherwell.

Obviously the Cup win and all 3 league cups, big derby games and turning over the Old Firm and Sevco.

Other games that stick in my mind are 3-0 V Porto in 1967. European games were always special but this one was my first with my pals. At 9 years old we thought it would always be like that.

More recently the cup game away to Kilmarnock in 2013. The stand was rocking all afternoon.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Obviously the Cup win and all 3 league cups, big derby games and turning over the Old Firm and Sevco.

Other games that stick in my mind are 3-0 V Porto in 1967. European games were always special but this one was my first with my pals. At 9 years old we thought it would always be like that.

More recently the cup game away to Kilmarnock in 2013. The stand was rocking all afternoon.
    That killie game was outstanding!

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    3-0 Scottish cup win at Ibrox with around 8k Hibs fans in the away end will always be right up there. The stand was literally shaking.
    That's my memory of that game, hibees bounce after our 1st goal and feeling the stand moving beneath my feet. Craziness.