hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Delusion

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd say our main delusion is that we play attractive football.

We have done and still do on occasions, but nowhere near as often or as well as we like to claim.
    yeah I’d agree with that to a point, but as another poster pointed out it’s more of an aspiration than anything. I remember Irvine Welsh talking in a documentary about the Famous Five and basically saying that they provide the prototype for Hibs teams to aspire to, we very seldom manage it but it’s still there as an aspiration.

by all accounts Turnbulls tornadoes were a wonderful side to watch (I never saw them play sadly). As were Mowbrays team, and indeed Neil Lennon’s team today are capable of some great stuff that’s easy on the eye but also has a bit of steel running through it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    It's pre programmed, pavlovian type response - like a stupid dog giving a paw for a choccie, they can't help themselves.

Whenever a cardigan wearing, rover driving Jambo hears someone talk about money, they respond with terms like "big team" "derby domination" "establishment team" "Crispin Roseberry" etc

Fannies
    Do they actually accept that they’re the ‘establishment team’ then?

Honestly dont see why anyone would take pride in that.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post

I have heard jambos saying it - like I said before, fannies.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post

Because, like Rangers or the Anglican Church, being the establishment choice used to come with all sorts of benefits.

To be fair to the Jambos, their loss of establishment privilege hasn’t led to a self-pitying victimhood culture, unlike the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Don't know enough to comment on VFM but the two times I have been there it was windy as ****** when it wasn't windy elsewhere and one time there was a Biblical plague of these tiny wee black corn flies. Location is not ideal but suspect land values closer to the A1/City Bypass would have ruled out us building to anywhere near the same spec. Would question though whether a 1/4 size pitch indoors is big enough these days for it to be classed as a truly elite facility, but the quality of HTC is still trotted out often enough as a selling point for incoming players.
    That's just the perils of being in the countryside and only happens for a week or two a year.

FWIW East Mains is about 3 miles from the A1. Folk talk about it like it's the other side of Duns.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    That's just the perils of being in the countryside and only happens for a week or two a year.

FWIW East Mains is about 3 miles from the A1. Folk talk about it like it's the other side of Duns.
    Duns? Now that IS Deliverance country!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post

If you live in West Lothian / Falkirk / Stirling it may as well be. If you're finishing work in Edinburgh at 5 (as many people do) , travelling home to collect your son to take him all the way back and round the jammed bypass, two nights of training at 6.30 doesn't sound like a great proposition.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Has this gone from toungue in cheek to serious or so dripping in sarcasm it just sounds that way?

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    You're kidding? I get that it's too much of a stretch for the average muppet to see they got there by stiffing their creditors and bankrupting themselves but putting it out in offishul club press? Dearie me.

There is a lot to be proud of; a youth system producing some of the finest talents in Scottish football who are already making their mark in the first team; a sense of community spirit that sees Hearts committed to making a social impact in the local area and beyond; a rich heritage that celebrates the achievements of the iconic players that have pulled on the famous maroon jersey; and an exciting future where the stars of today and tomorrow run out in the shadow of the magnificent new Main Stand to a packed Tynecastle…an everlasting legacy of the backing provided by the fans.

Duns? Now that IS Deliverance country!
    Oi, watch it or I'll pump you while my banjo playing mate watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    If you live in West Lothian / Falkirk / Stirling it may as well be. If you're finishing work in Edinburgh at 5 (as many people do) , travelling home to collect your son to take him all the way back and round the jammed bypass, two nights of training at 6.30 doesn't sound like a great proposition.
    Did you consider the other side of the coin? Lets assume you have a boy training with Hearts -

Say you live in East Lothian, Haddington, Dunbar. If you are finishing work in Edinburgh at 5 (as many people do) , travelling home to collect your son to take him all the way back and round the jammed bypass, two nights of training at 6.30 doesn't sound like a great proposition.

I know I am being flippant above, but.......I know a family who live in Aberdeen and their 15 yo is with Dundee, and they travel at least twice a week to Dundee to train in the evening, added to travel for his school and boys clubs.

Unless we have multiple training facilities dotted round the country (and that aint happening until we get an English style TV deal - i.e. never), then these issues will come up. I guess its up to the kid / parents.

@hibs.net private member
    Did you consider the other side of the coin? Lets assume you have a boy training with Hearts -

Say you live in East Lothian, Haddington, Dunbar. If you are finishing work in Edinburgh at 5 (as many people do) , travelling home to collect your son to take him all the way back and round the jammed bypass, two nights of training at 6.30 doesn't sound like a great proposition.

I know I am being flippant above, but.......I know a family who live in Aberdeen and their 15 yo is with Dundee, and they travel at least twice a week to Dundee to train in the evening, added to travel for his school and boys clubs.

Unless we have multiple training facilities dotted round the country (and that aint happening until we get an English style TV deal - i.e. never), then these issues will come up. I guess its up to the kid / parents.
    Yes I did consider the other side of the coin and of course we have better access to the kids on the east side of Edinburgh. However the fact is that the population density to the west is much higher and therefore so is the potential talent pool.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    There’s also a lot more choice for the kids anywhere in the central belt whereas those on the East have us or....

If a promising youngster or parent isn’t prepared for a bit of extra traffic then they can’t be all that serious at becoming a professional player.

Ask any top sportsman, they made sacrifices.

Yes I did consider the other side of the coin and of course we have better access to the kids on the east side of Edinburgh. However the fact is that the population density to the west is much higher and therefore so is the potential talent pool.
    Might as well move it to Falkirk then............

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    There’s also a lot more choice for the kids anywhere in the central belt whereas those on the East have us or....
    That's a very good point

@hibs.net private member
    Might as well move it to Falkirk then............
    Joking aside, maybe investing some money to take over the Forth Valley setup instead of letting it fold and scatter the players around various clubs would have been worth considering?

Edit: I mean in addition to HTC, not instead of

I'll throw one into the mix as a question - are we deluded in thinking that the HTC is a good investment? New signings always seem genuinely impressed by it and it comes across as being a factor in their decision to join us. But maybe we're just lapping that up because it's what we want to hear?

A few questions to consider:
    - Do we get value for money for the running costs? I seem to recall that it costs Ł500,000 per year just to keep the place running
    - Is it appreciating in value as an asset? Or is the land essentially just worth whatever it would yield from farming?
    - Is its location hampering us? If you go on the basis that you need boys on the books by the age of 12 to take them through the academy system, is a location east of Edinburgh impractical for boys of that age to travel to from along the Edinburgh - Glasgow corridor? Are we therefore limiting our potential talent pool to East / Midlothian and East Edinburgh?
    I've always questioned the wisdom of this and always will. It was the one part of the focus on investing in infrastructure phase which I can't fathom.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
    I've always questioned the wisdom of this and always will. It was the one part of the focus on investing in infrastructure phase which I can't fathom.

The location issue is a slightly separate argument, but on the principle of having our own training facilities - I’ve not heard a single professional working in the game who questions the value of it.

The location was forced on us to an extent, but anywhere would have pluses and minuses. A city centre location is not necessarily more accessible to players coming through from the West.

First Team Breakthrough esjorto's Avatar
    best sports hospitality in Scotland with luxurious and modern surroundings and award winning service.
    You see?.... big teams win awards before the facilities are even opened.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    There’s always a bit of suspension of disbelief with marketing /sales bumf.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Oi, watch it or I'll pump you while my banjo playing mate watches.
    Ouch. Oink oink

Actually know a few folk from Duns and they're not that bad. Chirnside however......... !! Just don't go canoeing nearby.

Ouch. Oink oink

Actually know a few folk from Duns and they're not that bad. Chirnside however......... !! Just don't go canoeing nearby.
    Chirnside is blessed with a large hibs support. Duns has a few but not as many. We regularly pick up in chirnside.

I guess the aim to play good football as opposed to the reality that we don't always do it cant be described as a delusion .... I have yet to meet a Hibby who will blindly say we 'always' play good football because it isn't true and we all know it.

As for the HTC ...... It is the aim of practically every professional club to have its own training facility so there must be something to it. As for its location, its not on the bloody moon FFS .... If its too much of a hassle to fight the traffic to the other side of Edinburgh then you need reminding that very few kids get the chance to train and play for a professional club, not to mention the huge rewards that are possible if your kid does make it.

As for the Hertz .... their delusions are legion and far too numerous to list here

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Speaking of delusion my The Rangers supporting mate at work is touting Rafa Benitez as their next manager and has 'a good source' they are absolutely mental!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Speaking of delusion my The Rangers supporting mate at work is touting Rafa Benitez as their next manager and has 'a good source' they are absolutely mental!!
    Wow. Even the old Rangers would have struggled to get Benitez. The new ones cant even attract McInnes.

We have our own training facility that we use when we want. The yams have a shared facility which they get use of and are not guaranteed access!

No brainier for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    The location issue is a slightly separate argument, but on the principle of having our own training facilities - I’ve not heard a single professional working in the game who questions the value of it.

The location was forced on us to an extent, but anywhere would have pluses and minuses. A city centre location is not necessarily more accessible to players coming through from the West.
    It is about affordability and about where you target your resources. It is too late now but a partnership with QMU at Musselburgh would have been a good idea. Shared facilities/costs and access to their excellent Physiotherapy and Podiatry expertise would have been a good move for Hibs. Petrie is back in everyone's good books now because Leanne has developed a well run and relatively successful club. Historically he displayed some disastrous strategic decision making in my view.
    I realise I represent the minority view on this but if we all had the same opinion there wouldn't be much point in this forum.

It is about affordability and about where you target your resources. It is too late now but a partnership with QMU at Musselburgh would have been a good idea. Shared facilities/costs and access to their excellent Physiotherapy and Podiatry expertise would have been a good move for Hibs. Petrie is back in everyone's good books now because Leanne has developed a well run and relatively successful club. Historically he displayed some disastrous strategic decision making in my view.
    I realise I represent the minority view on this but if we all had the same opinion there wouldn't be much point in this forum.

Was a partnership with QMU ever in the cards though?

Harsh to blame Petrie without knowing if that option was even available.

In the grand scheme of things, we enjoy watching our football at a completely modernised, fully compliant, 20k seat stadium at Easter Road.

Things could be much, much worse.

Ouch. Oink oink

My wife's a Chirnside girl 😂😂😂😂

@hibs.net private member
    Sure we do have a relationship with QMU for Physio. I agree with you Petrie is getting an easy ride. Wonder how the support will react when Leeann does leave. Surely clubs down south will have noticed the job she has done here. That appointment will be crucial.