hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Delusion

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is about affordability and about where you target your resources. It is too late now but a partnership with QMU at Musselburgh would have been a good idea. Shared facilities/costs and access to their excellent Physiotherapy and Podiatry expertise would have been a good move for Hibs. Petrie is back in everyone's good books now because Leanne has developed a well run and relatively successful club. Historically he displayed some disastrous strategic decision making in my view.
    I realise I represent the minority view on this but if we all had the same opinion there wouldn't be much point in this forum.
    And we'd have to get off the pitches when the ladies hockey team want to practice?

2. Log in to remove the advert

It is about affordability and about where you target your resources. It is too late now but a partnership with QMU at Musselburgh would have been a good idea. Shared facilities/costs and access to their excellent Physiotherapy and Podiatry expertise would have been a good move for Hibs. Petrie is back in everyone's good books now because Leanne has developed a well run and relatively successful club. Historically he displayed some disastrous strategic decision making in my view.
    I realise I represent the minority view on this but if we all had the same opinion there wouldn't be much point in this forum.
    Some ideas were floated (I was working for QMU at the time and Farmer was involved with the university) but nothing very concrete I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    And we'd have to get off the pitches when the ladies hockey team want to practice?
    The term I used was "partnership" not landlord/tenant relationship. Do you see the difference?
    QM were developing a big site, a proportion of which they will never use.
    Sharing some of the infrastructure and maintenance costs is what I'm referring to, not an arrangement like our Jambo chums have.
    Anyway all water under the bridge now.

I delude myself that I'm not really this guy but in reality....

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Was a partnership with QMU ever in the cards though?

Harsh to blame Petrie without knowing if that option was even available.

In the grand scheme of things, we enjoy watching our football at a completely modernised, fully compliant, 20k seat stadium at Easter Road.

Things could be much, much worse.
    I agree with your point about our fantastic stadium and it will be a lasting legacy of the Petrie/Farmer years. No one should question that achievement but I also think a lot of mistakes were made in that era. I know Rod is still around (and I enjoyed his 'exuberance' comment to deflate the media bull **** around the cup final as much as the next man) but I tend to think of us as living the AD era now (Anno Dempster). And I'm glad we are!

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    I delude myself that I'm not really this guy but in reality....

"Ha-ha-ha!"

Do Hibs not have plans for a proper indoor facilty at east mains, or have I just made that up ?

I'll imgine if we get a decent amount for John McGinn most of it would go towards that ?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Booker5time View Post
    Do Hibs not have plans for a proper indoor facilty at east mains, or have I just made that up ?

I'll imgine if we get a decent amount for John McGinn most of it would go towards that ?
    Would rather we spent the money on getting Leeann,George Craig and co tied up for the next few years.

@hibs.net private member Pete70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Booker5time View Post

LD said at the last AGM the club are looking to build a full size indoor pitch at EM sometime in the future. I don't recall if she mentioned a time frame.

The term I used was "partnership" not landlord/tenant relationship. Do you see the difference?
    QM were developing a big site, a proportion of which they will never use.
    Sharing some of the infrastructure and maintenance costs is what I'm referring to, not an arrangement like our Jambo chums have.
    Anyway all water under the bridge now.
    QMU were originally going to be based st Gogarburn until Fred Goodwin and RBS gazumped them forcing the move to Mussleburgh, meanwhile East Mains came on the radar so there was no synergy at the time just wishful altered historical memories of people who were not there dreaming of things that were not happening

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete70 View Post
    LD said at the last AGM the club are looking to build a full size indoor pitch at EM sometime in the future. I don't recall if she mentioned a time frame.
    She also talked about it in one of her update videos on Hibs TV.

It’s definitely on the agenda and I’d guess sooner rather than later. She wouldn’t have mentioned it otherwise.

I agree with the poster above that the McGinn money will be used for that. Guess the corners at ER will have to wait!

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    I guess the aim to play good football as opposed to the reality that we don't always do it cant be described as a delusion .... I have yet to meet a Hibby who will blindly say we 'always' play good football because it isn't true and we all know it.

As for the HTC ...... It is the aim of practically every professional club to have its own training facility so there must be something to it. As for its location, its not on the bloody moon FFS .... If its too much of a hassle to fight the traffic to the other side of Edinburgh then you need reminding that very few kids get the chance to train and play for a professional club, not to mention the huge rewards that are possible if your kid does make it.

As for the Hertz .... their delusions are legion and far too numerous to list here
    Honestly mate some on here act is if a couple of miles outside the perimeters of Edinburgh is like outer *****lia...there was a similar discussion in another thread a few weeks back. East Lothian is like 10 mins drive from Portobello...not exactly the dark side of the moon

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Would rather we spent the money on getting Leeann,George Craig and co tied up for the next few years.
    Would rather we spent it on the team that is why we support Hibs

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Your fantasies really have no place on a family board such as this one :tsk

@hibs.net private member
    I see the aircraft used for the "game changing" non-stop Perth to Heathrow flight has a livery described as "Yam Dreaming".

Game changing and yam dreaming sounds right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    QMU were originally going to be based st Gogarburn until Fred Goodwin and RBS gazumped them forcing the move to Mussleburgh, meanwhile East Mains came on the radar so there was no synergy at the time just wishful altered historical memories of people who were not there dreaming of things that were not happening
    Hi mate I'll assume that was just a general comment and not an ad hominem attack on me personally.
    Anyway I just thought I would clarify the historical timeframe as someone who was there at the time. I left QMU (QMUC then) in 2005 after 11 years service.

QMUC's main campus (Clermiston) was in the West of the city and initially the majority of senior management and the Board of Governors wanted a new campus in the West. The history is:
    - End 1999 and 2000 QM entered into discussion to move to Riccarton and share with Heriot-Watt. This was heavily pushed by the Scottish government but fell through because the management at QM felt it would ultimately be a take-over by the larger university.
    - 2001 as you say QM agreed a deal to purchase the site at Gogarburn hospital. A meeting was convened with the Board of Governors to explain the commercial details of the deal and interestingly one of the governors was a director of RBS. The day after that meeting that governor resigned from the Board and shortly thereafter QM were gazumped by RBS. I'm sure there was no connection between the two events!!
    - End 2002 QM agreed the deal to build a new campus at Craighall with a completion date of 2007.
    - Hibs announced the East Mains project in 2006 and had been looking around at possible sites for a few years before that. The move to the east for the new QM campus along with Sir Tom Farmer's assistance to QM (he eventually became Chancellor in 2007) and closeness to several QM's Principal's including Joan Stinger meant that there were some conversations at a senior management level about the potential sharing of sports facilities with Hibs.
    I confess I'm speaking only from the QM side, don't know about Hibs (perhaps you do?), and clearly nothing came of it.

So no dreaming or altered historical memories (i.e lies). Given the build and maintenance costs of East Mains I still think there could have been a good joint project between QM and Hibs. You may disagree and that's fair enough you are entitled to your view.
    Last edited by Crazyhorse; 25-03-2018 at 06:18 PM.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    It was mentioned upthread that it costs "£500,000" to run EM every year.

Sounds a lot, but that isn't just cash down the drain.

Presumably any facility anywhere would cost a certain amount to run? Running costs perhaps include staffing costs?

Is there any evidence that EM costs us more than any comparable facility?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Why this obsession with the **** move on who cares what they think they are an irrelevance. MIND THE GAP!