hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    @hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Derek Townsley

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We've had some pretty decent players who've been wrong place, wrong time. You could put together a strong underrated XI.

...... ....... Oxley
    ......Dickoh.Fonts.Martis
    .... Robertson Thicot
    Whittaker............Craig
    .......... Denes Rosa
    ...... Doyle...... Sodje

By the way, this is all post Mowbray, when the money dried up. Wouldn't be a fair comparison before that.
    All they players apart from Fonts and Boyle people thought it was trendy to stick up for when they where *****. Oxley and Thicot ffs? Whittaker coming though should be nowhere near mentioned beside any of them either.

What money did Mowbray have? We where skint when he came in.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Benny, Ally McLeod, Jackie Mac, Tony Higgins, Ralph Callachan and a few others all took some terrible stick from our fans at times. As a young boy when they were playing I never really understood it. Looking back it was probably due to following so closely after The Tornadoes. I thought they were more than decent and Ally was my hero
    Glad Graham Mitchell got a mention. Bobby Flavell? Gordon Rae?
    That was my first team and so I thought they were magic as a wee laddie, but looking back must've been hard for them to follow the TTs (and for the fans who had watched a team who could compete with Europe's finest deteriorate to the point of relegation within a few years).
    Last edited by SideBurns; 20-03-2018 at 11:08 PM.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    Graham Mitchell. Cost £30,000 from Hamilton and gave us a decade of solid defensive work, including a league cup win.
    Agree with this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    Totally agree with this one he was brilliant.

Me too john was brilliant. Also David Murphy, Jimmy boco, Thierry gattheusi and James mcpake.

GGTTH
    FTHMFC

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    It was something to do with a fan referring to a player called Archie Lovell who had been the worst player that fan had ever seen. Can't remember the specifics.

Did he leave due to money? I thought it was simply because we signed De La Cruz at RB and McLeish decided he wasn't going to get a game in our midfield.
    I seem to remember the chat at the time was that McLeish suspected Lovell of being a dressing room mole who was running to the papers with info on team matters and that’s why he was dropped in the cup final then punted.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee16 View Post
    All they players apart from Fonts and Boyle people thought it was trendy to stick up for when they where *****. Oxley and Thicot ffs? Whittaker coming though should be nowhere near mentioned beside any of them either.

What money did Mowbray have? We where skint when he came in.
    Sticking up for players because it's "trendy". Aye, right pal.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I started following Hibs around 2005/06 and I literally don't remember anything about Gary Smith. Not just that, but no one ever mentions him - either in terms of he was a good player or bad. According to Wikipedia he played almost 200 games for us - including in the Mowbray years - so clearly can't have been that bad.

Is he literally the most average Hibs player ever, in that he isn't worth a mention in any context?

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    I started following Hibs around 2005/06 and I literally don't remember anything about Gary Smith. Not just that, but no one ever mentions him - either in terms of he was a good player or bad. According to Wikipedia he played almost 200 games for us - including in the Mowbray years - so clearly can't have been that bad.

Is he literally the most average Hibs player ever, in that he isn't worth a mention in any context?
    One of my last memories of him is when he got sent off in the 4-0 semi final v hearts at hampden. Remember someone telling me just as I got back to the pub.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post

He's mentioned, rightfully so, at the start of this thread! And seen him mentioned in others - recall someone saying they seen him at ER recently with his son.

Gary Smith was a solid defender and a great servant to our club. Part of a defence alongside Franck that was the meanest in green I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Baader; 22-03-2018 at 12:34 AM.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    One of my last memories of him is when he got sent off in the 4-0 semi final v hearts at hampden. Remember someone telling me just as I got back to the pub.
    The reason Gary was sent off was that Zibbi the stayed on his goal line instead of coming out to clear a ball which should have been his. Gary, was forced into a last ditch tackle which earned him a red.

Zibbi what an poul-f-tice. (cryptic, btw )

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Jay shields - never forget the game he had dado prso in his back pocket, defpite being a good foot shorter than him. Crunching tackler as well. Shame things never worked out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Halifaxhibby View Post
    David Murphy

GGTTH
    FTHMFC
    Eh? Underrated by whom?

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    It was something to do with a fan referring to a player called Archie Lovell who had been the worst player that fan had ever seen. Can't remember the specifics.

Did he leave due to money? I thought it was simply because we signed De La Cruz at RB and McLeish decided he wasn't going to get a game in our midfield.
    I think money was a major factor, sure we were beginning to tighten the belt and he had quite generous terms including appearance money.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    Many of the players mentioned are not so much underrated as frustrating for me. One example. Tam Mcmanus has been mentioned, he was in my opinion frustrating could and should have done a lot better than he did, ran around much of the time like a headless chicken, but ultimately didn't live up to expectations. Although, I actually quite liked him for his effort and commitment, I actually think he was overrated.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk