hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golf 2018

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The US Open has been crazy today. Greens verging on impossible, Mickelson happily taking a 2 shot penalty putting a moving ball, and those pesky American fans upping the anti in their dickish behaviour.

Mon Rose tomorrow!

But for me, (and aided by a few drams) it made for a great night's viewing .

2. Log in to remove the advert

I can't believe how candid Mickelson was about it - he dug himself a hole by being so honest about his reasons for doing it.

He could have apologised and passed it off as being a lapse in concentration or frustration but to make it sound so cold and calculated really wasn't within the spirit of golf at all.

Crazy day yesterday, I can't say I enjoyed it. You want to see a tough challenge but a fair one - players were hitting decent shots and being punished, and it was becoming a lottery.

The vast majority of the time our Open provides a decent honest test and all players are treated with respect - therefore it's miles ahead of the US Open imo.

It's still pretty fascinating though and if they calm the greens down a bit and place the pins in better positions then it could be much fairer (as the first 2 days were).

Two opens in a row. Quite rare. I'm thinking Hale Irwin and Curtis Strange. I may be wrong.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Supposed to have been playing the Lothians Senior Championship at Liberton today. Gutted to report my back has deteriorated over the last few weeks to the point I can barely stand up today. ****ing sick.

Sorry to read that Lex, you'll be missing the gowf badly especially with the weather being so good and the courses playing relatively easy. Hopefully things will improve for you - and soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Sorry to read that Lex, you'll be missing the gowf badly especially with the weather being so good and the courses playing relatively easy. Hopefully things will improve for you - and soon.
    Cheers GB. It has eased significantly but I think golf might be out the question. It’s supposed to be Musselburgh Seniors on Tuesday but I think I might struggle. Withdrew from the Lothians at Liberton on Monday and also seen a Private Physio that night. ( I had booked him a week or so earlier). He reckons it’s root cause us an old Fitba injury to my ankle. He wants to work on that but it’s not really a help right now. Back to him on Wednesday.
    ‘Yup it’s brutal with the weather like it is. I think I might need to go the Tiger route and go for surgery privately.

It's not an Open for the long hitters so it should be interesting. It's a shame it's not on the BBC. R&A are greedy sods.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    It's not an Open for the long hitters so it should be interesting. It's a shame it's not on the BBC. R&A are greedy sods.
    It's a shame for the folk that can't afford Sky but it's got to be said that Sky do a magnificent job and offer much more than the token efforts that the BBC used to dish up. In defence of the R&A, they do ensure that a fair share of the financial pot is distributed throughout the world as a means of promoting and developing the game to as many people as possible.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Ollie Fisher just hit a 59 in the Portugal Masters, 12 shots better than yesterday. The first sub 60 round in European Tour history.

And at the same time one of the local pros, who is well up the leaderboard, hit 2 of the worst shots I've ever seen a pro play!

Such is golf 👍 And 😱

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post

In other news my golf is bloody horrific as usual. After 16 odd years I'm thinking of ditching Linlithgow for Turnhouse next year. £150 quid cheaper for a better course.
    Played Turnhouse for the first time yesterday, really enjoyed it. Quite a few long par 4s, and maybe a couple too many blind shots, but the greens were excellent and I put my tee shot on 17 to 6 foot! If it wasn't on the other side of town from Portobello I'd consider joining.

Also played Linlithgow a couple of weeks ago and didn't rate it as highly, but again, the 17th par 3 was nice, hit it high and 30 foot short right and it rolled down to 10 foot.

There's no comparison in the two courses, if you've got the choice.

Handicap wise, I've held my own this season but performance wise not so. Generally delighted with my consistency from tee to green but my putting was a total disaster. I've lost all confidence on the greens, - terrified in fact! 🤢

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Handicap wise, I've held my own this season but performance wise not so. Generally delighted with my consistency from tee to green but my putting was a total disaster. I've lost all confidence on the greens, - terrified in fact! 🤢
    Time to go with "The Claw" GB... Tried it myself earlier in season and got reasonable results, particularly with shorter putts, and reverted back the orthodox grip and found my stroke had improved and the right hand less inclined to try and take over in the stroke. Still not enough to prevent the handicap creeping up a shot, but hopefully can squeeze in another couple of medals to try and get back to where I started season at. A point one reduction will be suffice.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    Played Turnhouse for the first time yesterday, really enjoyed it. Quite a few long par 4s, and maybe a couple too many blind shots, but the greens were excellent and I put my tee shot on 17 to 6 foot! If it wasn't on the other side of town from Portobello I'd consider joining.

Also played Linlithgow a couple of weeks ago and didn't rate it as highly, but again, the 17th par 3 was nice, hit it high and 30 foot short right and it rolled down to 10 foot.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it especially the greens. I'm a member and we're proud of them. It's a very friendly club too.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Played Linlithgow last weekend I’ve played it loads of times and not a fan of the layout. The greens however were the slickest I’ve played on in a very long time and I’ve played 40 competitive rounds over a number of courses this year alone. I also like Turnhoyse being a past winner there.😎🏆

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it especially the greens. I'm a member and we're proud of them. It's a very friendly club too.
    Found everyone very friendly, will be back.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Played Linlithgow last weekend I’ve played it loads of times and not a fan of the layout. The greens however were the slickest I’ve played on in a very long time and I’ve played 40 competitive rounds over a number of courses this year alone. I also like Turnhoyse being a past winner there.😎🏆
    Interesting how folk can see things slightly differently. The greens at Linlithgow were fine, but nothing that make me recall them specifically.

Found everyone very friendly, will be back.

Interesting how folk can see things slightly differently. The greens at Linlithgow were fine, but nothing that make me recall them specifically.
    It’s not really. Different weather. Different times of the day. Different level of competition. Different course preparation. All make a difference. It would only really be interesting or relevant if we were all playing st the same time.

Yeah having moved from Queensferry to South Gyle it definitely makes more sense to join Turnhouse. I'm lucky if I play 10 holes a month just now.

It’s not really. Different weather. Different times of the day. Different level of competition. Different course preparation. All make a difference. It would only really be interesting or relevant if we were all playing st the same time.
    You're right, it's probably not that interesting, was only being mildly polite.

The quality and speed of a green shouldn't be affected by any of the things you mention. Slick/good greens should have good drainage and play pretty much the same in wet or dry conditions. Parkland courses maybe less so than links courses, but still, good greens are good greens. Average ones will always be average ones.
    Greenkeeping staff are the same, so their preparation and input never varies, the speed of a putt for a 4 handicappers is the same speed for a 22 handicapper, level of competition makes no difference there either.
    Off the top of my head I think I've played maybe 20 odd courses this year. Linlithgow was fine, but not in the top 10.

You're right, it's probably not that interesting, was only being mildly polite.

The quality and speed of a green shouldn't be affected by any of the things you mention. Slick/good greens should have good drainage and play pretty much the same in wet or dry conditions. Parkland courses maybe less so than links courses, but still, good greens are good greens. Average ones will always be average ones.
    Greenkeeping staff are the same, so their preparation and input never varies, the speed of a putt for a 4 handicappers is the same speed for a 22 handicapper, level of competition makes no difference there either.
    Off the top of my head I think I've played maybe 20 odd courses this year. Linlithgow was fine, but not in the top 10.
    I just read my first comment there and it read a bit arsey and it wasn’t meant to be so apologies.
    Greens are often prepared differently for different competitions and conditions. The grass wont be “stressed” by being cut to short in particularly hot or colder conditions. They were almost certainly scalped and flat ironed the other week compared to a senior competition I played there a few months ago. A good few competitors did comment. I was out really early to be fair and that would also make a difference.
    As I said I’m not a fan of Linlithgow but thought the greens were particularly slick for the Linlithgowshire first class boys a couple of weekends ago and thought it worthy of a mention.
    Last edited by greenlex; 25-09-2018 at 11:00 AM.

I just read my first comment there and it read a bit arsey and it wasn’t meant to be so apologies.
    Greens are often prepared differently for different competitions and conditions. The grass wont be “stressed” by being cut to short in particularly hot or colder conditions. They were almost certainly scalped and flat ironed the other week compared to a senior competition I played there a few months ago. A good few competitors did comment. I was out really early to be fair and that would also make a difference.
    As I said I’m not a fan of Linlithgow but thought the greens were particularly slick for the Linlithgowshire first class boys a couple of weekends ago and thought it worthy of a mention.
    No worries

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Time to go with "The Claw" GB... Tried it myself earlier in season and got reasonable results, particularly with shorter putts, and reverted back the orthodox grip and found my stroke had improved and the right hand less inclined to try and take over in the stroke. Still not enough to prevent the handicap creeping up a shot, but hopefully can squeeze in another couple of medals to try and get back to where I started season at. A point one reduction will be suffice.
    I went for a putting lesson yesterday. Apparently my eyes were two inches inside the ball and not directly over the ball as they should be. The video footage showed that I had an "in to out" movement going back then an "out to in" putter movement coming forward. In other words I had a very noticeable loop in the middle of the stroke. X rated stuff!

I've since invested in one of these Edge 70 degree Eyeline putting rails to help me groove my stroke. The carpets will be worn out over the winter!

Anyone interested in this?:-

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9307

Maybe we could enter a team or (teams) from here. It would be a one off for me but I quite fancy it, especially over Archerfield.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Anyone interested in this?:-

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9307

Maybe we could enter a team or (teams) from here. It would be a one off for me but I quite fancy it, especially over Archerfield.
    Played in it the last couple of years, was a good day out. Unfortunately I’m not able to play this year.

Played Kingsbarns today. What an absolute treat. Straight to the top of my favourite courses played list.

Played Kingsbarns today. What an absolute treat. Straight to the top of my favourite courses played list.
    It's a wonderful course although you almost need to release some equity on your house in order to afford the green fees!

Royal Birkdale is my UK favourite course.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Played it about 10 years ago. Freebie as well! Very near the top of my list but Dornoch is still number 1 for me.

Watched Michelle Wie last year go round in 64, I wondered why I thought it was difficult

It's a wonderful course although you almost need to release some equity on your house in order to afford the green fees!

Royal Birkdale is my UK favourite course.
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    Played it about 10 years ago. Freebie as well! Very near the top of my list but Dornoch is still number 1 for me.

Watched Michelle Wie last year go round in 64, I wondered why I thought it was difficult
    Having played neither Birkdale nor Dornoch I’ll have to take you guys word fir it. I’ll stick both on my bucket list. Gullane No 2 tomorrow.
    Last edited by greenlex; 03-11-2018 at 08:52 PM.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    I played it last Saturday, what an experience! Played pretty good until the turn back into the wind and hail on 13, 5 very very tough holes in those conditions.

I’m lucky to have played it the last 3 years for free. The whore day out with Kingsbarns is very special.

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    I played it last Saturday, what an experience! Played pretty good until the turn back into the wind and hail on 13, 5 very very tough holes in those conditions.

I’m lucky to have played it the last 3 years for free. The whore day out with Kingsbarns is very special.
    Aye, but what about the golf? 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post

Aye, it beats a bacon roll on arrival and soup and a sandwich after your round right enough.