hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf 2018

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar

Golf 2018

After a bleak start to the year I thought it would be good to get the clubs dusted off and get out playing. I headed up North this weekend hoping to get a few rounds in, unfortunately the weather still not playing ball so only managed the one round at Brora on Saturday, the snow at Dornoch today closed the top course. 45mph winds and -5 windchill hardly the best golf conditions, I think I will put the clubs back away until April! Mt mate has always said the Masters means the start of the new season, I think he might be on to something with that!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Played most Saturdays through the winter at Turnhouse and for once I'm confident it's helped me for the coming season so hopefully get the handicap down a bit.

Had a wee break in Alicante in January as well where I won the spoils 2 days out of 3 so it's all looking good.

Maybe the long discussed Dotnet golf day might happen this year too.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Not had much of a chance to play over the winter as i decided to leave Baberton at the end of the season in November. Got fed up of the never ended work on the course so been looking to move elsewhere. Looking down the east coast and thinking about Dunbar.

The dotnet Golf day has turned into the new holy grail for Hibees since the Scottish cup win!!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Haven’t played since September 2016 as Ive had back trouble. I’m on the mend they tell me so looking forward to this season. Kicking off next weekend with a trip to Craigielaw and Gullane. As you can imagine I’m looking forward to it. It will either kill me or cure me.
    Last edited by greenlex; 18-03-2018 at 09:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Managed to play most weeks during the winter at Winterfield. Retirement is great for that! Great condition last week considering recent snow and rain. Major improvements on and off the course last couple of years.

Would love to be involved in a .net golf day

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I've had a few games over both Dunbar & Gullane and the occasional game over my home course on the few occasions it's been playable. I've also been a fairly frequent visitor to the Braids driving range so all in all I've done enough to prevent the rust from forming. I've a game arranged over Gullane 1 tomorrow so I'm really looking forward to that, especially as the weather forecast looks reasonable.

The season is supposed to start this coming weekend with a friendly Texas Scramble format on Saturday then the traditional Captains v Vice Captain Challenge on Sunday. Let's hope the weather relents as the course is still covered in snow at the moment.

New season, fresh hopes spring eternal, no doubt soon to be shattered!

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Managed to play most weeks during the winter at Winterfield. Retirement is great for that! Great condition last week considering recent snow and rain. Major improvements on and off the course last couple of years.

Would love to be involved in a .net golf day
    I'd actually forgot about Winterfield, I hear it offers good value for money over the winter months. Must keep it in mind for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    I'd actually forgot about Winterfield, I hear it offers good value for money over the winter months. Must keep it in mind for the future.
    A 6 month membership October to March this past winter cost £123 to play the course with a further £50 for full membership to allow you to play in competitions. Lower cost for younger and older players.

Targeted at members of other clubs whose course might be regularly closed over the winter or who don’t want to play with mats or to temporary greens. I played today and you would not think the course was closed because of the snow 48 hours ago.

It’s a very friendly club with good rapport between members, the 2 professionals, greenkeeping and clubhouse staff. Although it’s a short course, the tough par 3s make it hard to play to your handicap, and that’s before you think of the wind! It has IMO one of the best par 3s in the area – and I don’t mean the 1st hole!

A 6 month membership October to March this past winter cost £123 to play the course with a further £50 for full membership to allow you to play in competitions. Lower cost for younger and older players.

Targeted at members of other clubs whose course might be regularly closed over the winter or who don’t want to play with mats or to temporary greens. I played today and you would not think the course was closed because of the snow 48 hours ago.

It’s a very friendly club with good rapport between members, the 2 professionals, greenkeeping and clubhouse staff. Although it’s a short course, the tough par 3s make it hard to play to your handicap, and that’s before you think of the wind! It has IMO one of the best par 3s in the area – and I don’t mean the 1st hole!
    14th? Excellent test in both calm and windy conditions.

Great value for money and one which I'll consider come October this year. I'll try and get together a fourball and maybe take turns at the driving duties, it's not much fun joining another course on your own as you want to be sure of a game.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Haven’t played since September 2016 as Ive had back trouble. I’m on the mend they tell me so looking forward to this season. Kicking off next weekend with a trip to Craigielaw and Gullane. As you can imagine I’m looking forward to it. It will either kill me or cure me.
    I'm not long back from an excellent day over Gullane 1.

Fantastic weather and the course was in great nick only a few patches of snow in some of the bunkers. No mud either, what a treat for someone who plays an inland course. Preferred lies are in operation but to be honest there was no need. Only downside of the day was that me and my playing companion got a severe thumping from a couple of high handicap bandits.

14th? Excellent test in both calm and windy conditions.
    Yup. Every shot a challenge. Never a straight putt either!

Great value for money and one which I'll consider come October this year. I'll try and get together a fourball and maybe take turns at the driving duties, it's not much fun joining another course on your own as you want to be sure of a game.

Thanks for the info.
    Not sure of your circumstances GB but a group play every Tuesday morning. Open to anyone who turns up, regularly around 15-20. Newcomers always welcome unless they run off first time with the cash!!

Not sure of your circumstances GB but a group play every Tuesday morning. Open to anyone who turns up, regularly around 15-20. Newcomers always welcome unless they run off first time with the cash!!
    Thanks, good to know. I'll spread the gospel and see if I can muster a couple of others.

Thanks, good to know. I'll spread the gospel and see if I can muster a couple of others.
    Just to clarify GB. when I said open to all I meant all club members. You probably realised that but I wanted to be sure. If you join us with the 6 month membership (or even for 12 months!) then we would be delighted if you joined the Tuesday gang . Keep me posted

Just to clarify GB. when I said open to all I meant all club members. You probably realised that but I wanted to be sure. If you join us with the 6 month membership (or even for 12 months!) then we would be delighted if you joined the Tuesday gang . Keep me posted

Thanks AC - food for thought come September. I will try and persuade a couple of colleagues to consider winter membership, apart from anything else it always helps with the travelling/cost arrangements.

Thanks AC - food for thought come September. I will try and persuade a couple of colleagues to consider winter membership, apart from anything else it always helps with the travelling/cost arrangements.
    If you wanted a game before then and to get a feel for the club then I would be happy to have you come along as my guest. Just let me know nearer the time.

If you wanted a game before then and to get a feel for the club then I would be happy to have you come along as my guest. Just let me know nearer the time.
    Thanks for that.

Bubba Watson hitting a 3-iron 366 yards is frightening. Downwind/downhill but still remarkable.

In other news pish start to 2018 for me as usual.

Big weekend for the golf. Been playing a fair bit since joining Dunbar but heading up the road tomorrow for a comp at Dornoch on Saturday. Few games over the weeekend at Dornoch and Brora. New sticks in the bag and the sun will be shining, links golf doesn’t get much better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    Big weekend for the golf. Been playing a fair bit since joining Dunbar but heading up the road tomorrow for a comp at Dornoch on Saturday. Few games over the weeekend at Dornoch and Brora. New sticks in the bag and the sun will be shining, links golf doesn’t get much better than that.
    Royal Dornoch is a fantastic course, it will test all your golfing skills without being overly long. I used to play in the Carnegie Shield which takes place in early August and usually managed to qualify for the matchplay stages but then got inevitably thumped in the early rounds.

As for Dunbar, then I've managed to fit in at least a weekly round since I joined about 6 weeks ago . I'm sure you'll agree that the course is in pretty good nick and with me being brought up on an inland course then I fully appreciate the merits of coming off the course mud free! I've found it a very friendly Club and I'm thoroughly enjoying the different challenges that the course offers.

I’m playing but not as near regularly as I would like. Still struggling with my back and just papping it round. Haven’t broke 80 since I started playing again. 👎

I’m playing but not as near regularly as I would like. Still struggling with my back and just papping it round. Haven’t broke 80 since I started playing again. 👎
    Persevere Lex, hopefully things will get better for you.

Persevere Lex, hopefully things will get better for you.
    I’ve been given the number of a Physio in Wishaw who has straightened out a few guys at my club so fingers crossed. He was at Celtic for a number of years and some players still go to him. Did some pitching and putting this afternoon and even that hurt. Persevere.

Played Dundas Parks today. I think I played it a good number of years ago but don’t remember any if it. Nine holer. Have to say it was in lovely condition. Greens were superb. The course itself is pretty average. No holes that are brilliant but neither has it any weak holes. Some of the rhododendron bushes were stunning. Very Augustesque. Back still not great and was reflected in the golf. Nice day for it.
    Last edited by greenlex; 12-05-2018 at 06:12 PM.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Played http://www.carusgreen.co.uk/ today, what a place and what a fantastic course.

Just the 44 points.

2nd had 36.

I had a hole in one at the 16th hole at Dunbar yesterday, very pleasing and I even got a certificate to mark the occasion. Happy Days.

I had a hole in one at the 16th hole at Dunbar yesterday, very pleasing and I even got a certificate to mark the occasion. Happy Days.
    Congratulations mate. Great hole to get it on.

I’m still trying to master the hole without tanning the wallll

Where’s that like button? Boom

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    I have been trying to get back into it this year as not played much for the last 10-15 years (growing up my golfing priorities went way down my list).
    Got my wee one some clubs last year and started taking him to the driving range (he is just turned 6) and got a wee set for his birthday, double strap kick stand etc so im trying to encourage him to get out to some pitch n puts etc to get him into it.

I caught the bug again and played a few times this year with mixed results, but I purchased a new putter which has really helped my game. Added in with getting my Dads old clubs (Ping eye 2 cavity backs) when I have played my whole golfing career with Mizuno tour proven irons (I believe Faldo won the master mid 90's with those clubs) which are blades, my short to mid iron game has really improved. My distance is not what it was but im certainly more comfortable and accurate with the more forgiving cavity backs.

Ive played Kingsknowe a few times in recent weeks and managed a couple birdies and a few pars in what was arguably my best ever round.
    I played a friend at oatridge last week and drove the par 4 3rd. I then proceeded to 3 putt for par (which contradicts my earlier statement about my new putter, but the greens there were really not good). I used to have an horrific slice on the tee which ive corrected with a simple wrist turn towards the ball and its helped greatl. (if only I discovered that when I was 14!!) Im playing the Glen tonight which I have heard can be very challenging but im intrigued to see how I get on and really want to try play 3 full rounds somewhere and work out what my rough Handicap would be. My last time having one was when I was 17 and played of 22. Im now 30 and feel its time get a full time membership somewhere.
    Last edited by Hibee87; 28-05-2018 at 02:54 PM.