hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golf 2018

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a hole in one at the 16th hole at Dunbar yesterday, very pleasing and I even got a certificate to mark the occasion. Happy Days.
    Well done!!! I’ve had a few close calls, one day maybe...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Have been very inconsistent with the driver so looked at getting a mini driver but struggled to find one. Went up to AG and tried the Cobra F8 and F8+ 3 woods, two words, **** me! They *****g go miles. I picked the F8, a bit shorter but more forgiving on poor strikes. Went to the course with it last night and I can honestly say I’m hitting further and a lot more consistently than I have ever with the driver 👍

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    I read a quote from Walter Hagen - "You don't have the game you played last year or last week. you only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it".

Kind of sums me up nowadays

Hearing of Hagen got me thinking of a fantasy four-ball - Young Tom Morris, Walter Hagen, Jack Nicklaus and Rory. To be played over 4 matches, the first at St Andrews as it was back in YTM's day, with the players wearing the clothes and using the equipment then, followed by the same in Walter's day, then Jack the finally Rory. Who would come out on top? I reckon Young Tom Morris might adapt to modern equipment - once his jaw stopped dropping at what we use nowadays - better than Rory playing in coat tails and tie, with hickory clubs and gutty balls on non-manicured courses.

@hibs.net private member brythehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    I have been trying to get back into it this year as not played much for the last 10-15 years (growing up my golfing priorities went way down my list).
    Got my wee one some clubs last year and started taking him to the driving range (he is just turned 6) and got a wee set for his birthday, double strap kick stand etc so im trying to encourage him to get out to some pitch n puts etc to get him into it.

I caught the bug again and played a few times this year with mixed results, but I purchased a new putter which has really helped my game. Added in with getting my Dads old clubs (Ping eye 2 cavity backs) when I have played my whole golfing career with Mizuno tour proven irons (I believe Faldo won the master mid 90's with those clubs) which are blades, my short to mid iron game has really improved. My distance is not what it was but im certainly more comfortable and accurate with the more forgiving cavity backs.

Ive played Kingsknowe a few times in recent weeks and managed a couple birdies and a few pars in what was arguably my best ever round.
    I played a friend at oatridge last week and drove the par 4 3rd. I then proceeded to 3 putt for par (which contradicts my earlier statement about my new putter, but the greens there were really not good). I used to have an horrific slice on the tee which ive corrected with a simple wrist turn towards the ball and its helped greatl. (if only I discovered that when I was 14!!) Im playing the Glen tonight which I have heard can be very challenging but im intrigued to see how I get on and really want to try play 3 full rounds somewhere and work out what my rough Handicap would be. My last time having one was when I was 17 and played of 22. Im now 30 and feel its time get a full time membership somewhere.
    This pretty much sums myself up! Played various courses the last 10 years without playing consistent enough or being a member anywhere. Finally joined Musselburgh GC in January and getting back to playing regular. Bought a new set of Callaway XR irons and it’s improved my game massively. Getting the membership has made me go and play more often. Good setup and a lot of good guys along there.

Any fellow hibby’s that are memebers ever fancy a game then drop me a message.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    I read a quote from Walter Hagen - "You don't have the game you played last year or last week. you only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it".

Kind of sums me up nowadays

Hearing of Hagen got me thinking of a fantasy four-ball - Young Tom Morris, Walter Hagen, Jack Nicklaus and Rory. To be played over 4 matches, the first at St Andrews as it was back in YTM's day, with the players wearing the clothes and using the equipment then, followed by the same in Walter's day, then Jack the finally Rory. Who would come out on top? I reckon Young Tom Morris might adapt to modern equipment - once his jaw stopped dropping at what we use nowadays - better than Rory playing in coat tails and tie, with hickory clubs and gutty balls on non-manicured courses.
    Great thoughts! I often wonder how well I could have played in my youth if today's equipment and know how was available in these now distant days.

Great thoughts! I often wonder how well I could have played in my youth if today's equipment and know how was available in these now distant days.
    My current handicap is only a couple more than it was 40 years ago. That's almost solely down to the advances in equipment and knowledge, as you mention.

I sometimes play with hickory clubs and whilst it's great fun I'm always glad to get back to today's technology. When we hear of Sandy Lyle winning the World Hickory Championship, the hickory clubs he uses are a million miles away from the ones I used when I first started out in the game.

Although I still hit the ball a reasonable distance - and it's good to sometimes keep up with the young whippersnappers! - I know I have lost a good few yards with each club from even 10 years ago as the body rebels. But as you get older you realise that doesn't matter, it's still just a game of arithmetic, adding up 18 numbers!

Regardless of the equipment, it's still the most satisfying and frustrating game ever invented - and we know that it goes from one emotion to the other in a matter of minutes!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Just got a late entry into Dunbar’s Open next Sat. Steep at £30 but it’s my only chance of a competative game next weekend.

Playing in the seniors open at Downfield this Thursday. Played in it last year but gave up after 10 when we couldn't find a spot on the green that didn't involve playing through the puddles.

Hoping for decent weather as Its a cheap way to play a great course

Playing in the seniors open at Downfield this Thursday. Played in it last year but gave up after 10 when we couldn't find a spot on the green that didn't involve playing through the puddles.

Hoping for decent weather as Its a cheap way to play a great course
    Downfield is good. You drive through a council housing estate and into what looks at first glance the entrance to an industrial estate to find a lovely course. in usually immaculate condition Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Just got a late entry into Dunbar’s Open next Sat. Steep at £30 but it’s my only chance of a competative game next weekend.
    If things are going poor after 15 holes just take inspiration from Golden Bear and hole it in 1. How hard can it be?

In other news my golf is bloody horrific as usual. After 16 odd years I'm thinking of ditching Linlithgow for Turnhouse next year. £150 quid cheaper for a better course.

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    If things are going poor after 15 holes just take inspiration from Golden Bear and hole it in 1. How hard can it be?

In other news my golf is bloody horrific as usual. After 16 odd years I'm thinking of ditching Linlithgow for Turnhouse next year. £150 quid cheaper for a better course.
    If GB.can do it anyone can.😂. Played Linlithgowshire Seniors at Linlithgow a couple of weeks ago and have to say not my favourite course.
    A lot of folk seem to be taking membership atUphall. Again not one of my favourite layouts but must be in good condition for themto attract members.
    I believe DeerPark is in excellent condition. Few boys raving about it. ( possibly incomparison to their home tracks.

I’m up to see David Burns at Kingsfeild to see if he can sort me out with something to get me round without to much pressure on my back. He’s got his work cutout. Straight from there to Dunbar. Busy old Saturday.

Championship qualifiers this weekend at liberton, not holding much hope as I’ve only had about 7 rounds so far. Played a medal yesterday and played pretty solid bar 3 holes where I totally blew up. I’m bricking it to see how fast they’ll have the greens 😂

Downfield is good. You drive through a council housing estate and into what looks at first glance the entrance to an industrial estate to find a lovely course. in usually immaculate condition Enjoy.
    Played with a 5 handicap member which was a great help in keeping out of trouble. Stood on 5th tee having 11 stableford points! Knew it wouldn't last, started missing fairways off the tee which is a sure fire route to bogeys at best. Played close to my handicap though which was great.

Course in excellent condition though fiery due to lack of rain. Every hole interesting, no weak ones, you had to think on each tee what you were wanting to do rather than blast away with the driver.

And all for £18!

Played with a 5 handicap member which was a great help in keeping out of trouble. Stood on 5th tee having 11 stableford points! Knew it wouldn't last, started missing fairways off the tee which is a sure fire route to bogeys at best. Played close to my handicap though which was great.

Course in excellent condition though fiery due to lack of rain. Every hole interesting, no weak ones, you had to think on each tee what you were wanting to do rather than blast away with the driver.

And all for £18!
    Can’t beat that price for that quality.
    Last edited by greenlex; 08-06-2018 at 06:47 AM.

If GB.can do it anyone can.😂. Played Linlithgowshire Seniors at Linlithgow a couple of weeks ago and have to say not my favourite course.
    A lot of folk seem to be taking membership atUphall. Again not one of my favourite layouts but must be in good condition for themto attract members.
    I believe DeerPark is in excellent condition. Few boys raving about it. ( possibly incomparison to their home tracks.

I’m up to see David Burns at Kingsfeild to see if he can sort me out with something to get me round without to much pressure on my back. He’s got his work cutout. Straight from there to Dunbar. Busy old Saturday.
    Well, thank you, thank you!

I had a game at Dunbar yesterday but had to settle for a humble par on 16. (I'd take that every day really!) The course is in great nick, greens no more than a moderate pace but very true. If the weather stays as calm as it has been then the scoring will be low. Go for it!

I've offered to help out at the Stephen Gallagher Foundation tournament at Cardrona otherwise I would have tried for a late entry at Dunbar.

Well, thank you, thank you!

I had a game at Dunbar yesterday but had to settle for a humble par on 16. (I'd take that every day really!) The course is in great nick, greens no more than a moderate pace but very true. If the weather stays as calm as it has been then the scoring will be low. Go for it!

I've offered to help out at the Stephen Gallagher Foundation tournament at Cardrona otherwise I would have tried for a late entry at Dunbar.
    I’m really looking forward to it. Ive played Dunbar loads of times but never in relative calm.

David Burns is down at. Cardrona on Sunday with a Scotland under age group. I wanted my lesson on Sunday but he ditched me for that. It was sat only this weekend for him.
    I’m also managed a last minute berth at Greenburn on Sunday so it’s a full on weekend.
    Last edited by greenlex; 08-06-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Ive never played Royal Musselburgh, what are peoples thoughts on it? If I am serious about getting into it again and a membership I think this would be an ok place. Close enough to Leith and I know people form the local area.

Ive never played Royal Musselburgh, what are peoples thoughts on it? If I am serious about getting into it again and a membership I think this would be an ok place. Close enough to Leith and I know people form the local area.
    I played it in a Texas Scramble a few weeks ago. It was in good nick and to be honest I was quite surprised how long it was, I think it's a par 73. Although not far from the coast, I'd describe it as parkland with plenty of mature trees which adds to the degree of difficulty. I'd definitely go back for another crack at it.

The Royal is decent enough. Spent a bit in drainage recently as it can get a bit soggy in the winter.

Well the name is on the Dunbar Scratch trophy. Unfortunately it belongs to my Laddie. The boy done real good.
    Last edited by greenlex; 10-06-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Well the name is on the Dunbar Scratch trophy. Unfortunately it belongs to my Laddie. The boy done real good.
    Give my congratulations to your son Mr B. 67 was a great score, I take it the lad was well tutored by his auld man 😁

Give my congratulations to your son Mr B. 67 was a great score, I take it the lad was well tutored by his auld man 😁
    Cheers. Will do. He left me behind long ago. I think he must be the milkman’s. 😂😂😂 he was 5 under at the turn and struggled coming home apparently. 😳

I like Royal Musselburgh, played it 2 or 3 times and it's always been in good nick. Nice course.

World Cup and US Open this weekend is a tasty prospect.

Next week:-

Monday:- Gullane 2
    Tuesday:- West Lothian for a Scramble
    Wednesday (rest day)
    Thursday:- Dunbar
    Friday:- Goswick.

This retirement life is proving to be a right bitch, I just don't know how I cope.

Next week:-

Monday:- Gullane 2
    Tuesday:- West Lothian for a Scramble
    Wednesday (rest day)
    Thursday:- Dunbar
    Friday:- Goswick.

This retirement life is proving to be a right bitch, I just don't know how I cope.

Goswick is a fantastic track, have you played it before?

Goswick is a fantastic track, have you played it before?
    Yes, I have a mate who is a member there. I enjoy playing it even although you always seem to have a cross wind to deal with.It's a true links course and the greens can be on the quick side which does nothing for my fragile putting stroke.

Yes, I have a mate who is a member there. I enjoy playing it even although you always seem to have a cross wind to deal with.It's a true links course and the greens can be on the quick side which does nothing for my fragile putting stroke.
    I realised after posting that you are bound to have played it, being a full time retiree 👍

Played a few courses in that region but fir me it is by far the best.

BTW nice watching the US Open being played in a Dunbar strength wind 😳

I realised after posting that you are bound to have played it, being a full time retiree 👍

Played a few courses in that region but fir me it is by far the best.

BTW nice watching the US Open being played in a Dunbar strength wind 😳

There are a few big names struggling badly.

I thought that scoring would be on the low side as the width of the fairways has been increased to 42 yards which is considerably wider than the previous time the US Open was staged over Shinnecock Hills.

Ok the course for the leaders is more difficult than the earlier players, but cmon, players of their ability should cope and adapt better. The Iceman showing them how to adapt.

And as for Leftie, he should be ashamed of himself. Abused the spirit of the game.

The US Open has been crazy today. Greens verging on impossible, Mickelson happily taking a 2 shot penalty putting a moving ball, and those pesky American fans upping the anti in their dickish behaviour.

Mon Rose tomorrow!