hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough Engels74's Avatar

Tribute to "Sunshine on Leith" on BBC 6 music

Elbow front man Guy Garvey does a show called Finest hour on 6music and today he had a theme about great lyricists and he started to explain his love for the song Sunshine on Leith but also it's connection to Hibs. He plays it and about 1/4 way through he blends in us singing (I think at hampden). This on the anniversary of our league cup win in 2007. I had tears in my eyes. His show is available on iPlayer.
    Last edited by Engels74; 18-03-2018 at 03:38 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Engels74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Elbow front man Guy Garvey does a show called Finest hour on 6music and today he had a theme about great lyricists and he started to explain his love for the song Sunshine on Leith but also it's connection to Hibs. He plays it and about 1/4 way through he blends in us singing (I think at hampden). This on the anniversary of our league cup win in 2006. I had tears in my eyes. His show is available on iPlayer.
    2007 😉

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Superb.

Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    2007 😉
    Ouch. Sorted. Still bit rough after last night or memory is going. 😂😂

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know Craig and Charlie were actually born in Leith. I always associated them with Auchtermuchty and I knew they lived there and just assumed that's where they were also born.

Aw man, greetin again.

Thanks for sharing!

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    That song gets better every time I here it. Tissue please...

Overwhelmed is a understatement

Ohhhh my days.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    He's also got a song about ex Hibs loan stars coming to the end of a relationship. It's "Jonathan Grounds For Divorce"

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    I often go on Twitter and search for Sunshine on Leith just to see what people are saying about it. Amazing the number of non Hibs fans who claim it to be the best football song. We are very blessed to have such an iconic song associated with the club.

@hibs.net private member
    Thanks for sharing this - was a great listen....

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Engels74 View Post
    Elbow front man Guy Garvey does a show called Finest hour on 6music and today he had a theme about great lyricists and he started to explain his love for the song Sunshine on Leith but also it's connection to Hibs. He plays it and about 1/4 way through he blends in us singing (I think at hampden). This on the anniversary of our league cup win in 2007. I had tears in my eyes. His show is available on iPlayer.
    Quote Originally Posted by zlatan View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09wg7cv

An hour and seven minutes in.
    Thanks for sharing, that was phenomenal and like others the tears just appeared

Funny thing is I really don't like Elbow and Guy Garvey but I'm now prepared to revisit my opinion.

As per AFKA's post I think we have a song that other fans can identify with and are probably really jealous of.

The DVD is going on now
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Already one of my favourite radio shows but that's by the by.

Brilliant stuff and we have the best football anthem in the world, Liverpool's YNWA is about all that is comparable. It just works.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

Funny thing is I really don't like Elbow and Guy Garvey but I'm now prepared to revisit my opinion.

As per AFKA's post I think we have a song that other fans can identify with and are probably really jealous of.

The DVD is going on now
    my pleasure mate. Ive listen to it about 5 times now and still welling up every time 😂😂

Simply fantastic!

That was well worth a listen. Think Guy Garvey ”gets it” just the same as we do. GGTTH & SoL.
    Last edited by hibby6270; 18-03-2018 at 05:20 PM. Reason: iPad icons not recognised.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Already one of my favourite radio shows but that's by the by.

Brilliant stuff and we have the best football anthem in the world, Liverpool's YNWA is about all that is comparable. It just works.

It's going to be impossible to thank Craig and Charlie enough.

Beautiful song that just works for us, and captures the heart of anyone else who hears it.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    I'd hope if he listens to Joyful Kilmarnock Blues or Cap In Hand, he might revise his opinion that the Proclaimers are "cheap". Notwithstanding that, it was a nice tribute to Sunshine On Leith.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    I'd hope if he listens to Joyful Kilmarnock Blues or Cap In Hand, he might revise his opinion that the Proclaimers are "cheap". Notwithstanding that, it was a nice tribute to Sunshine On Leith.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    The only Elbow song i know is the one they always show at Glastonbury etc. "Beautiful day" or something. Absolute durge. Not my kind of music at all but wouldnt call it cheap or tacky. Thought that was uncalled for by the guy.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    The only Elbow song i know is the one they always show at Glastonbury etc. "Beautiful day" or something. Absolute durge. Not my kind of music at all but wouldnt call it cheap or tacky. Thought that was uncalled for by the guy.
    Man has opinion about music.

I thought he was very complimentary about them. There are bands that I find cheap and tacky but can appreciate when they do something good.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    He's also got a song about ex Hibs loan stars coming to the end of a relationship. It's "Jonathan Grounds For Divorce"
    From the album...the Seldom Seen Albert Kidd.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to next week's show when he talks about the Hearts song.

@hibs.net private member
    The best thing about the song is the fact no other club can sing it as their anthem i.e. (Celtic/Liverpool). It's unique to Hibs and that's great.

It's going to be impossible to thank Craig and Charlie enough.

Beautiful song that just works for us, and captures the heart of anyone else who hears it.
    It must be an amazing feeling for those 2 to be at one of the games when The Hibernian Choir belts out a rendition.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Tbf that’s quite an atypical Elbow song.

Something of a cheap bid to create a singalong anthem.

Left by mutual consent!

The DVD is going on now
    Garvey's show is good with a lot of cracking tracks given an airing. He has, IMHO, a decent taste in music but I agree that Elbow are nothing special. Vastly overrated in fact.

As for other fans being jealous of the way SOL has become synonymous with Hibs, you're damn right. The yams in particular must privately wish they had a similar anthem. But they're a club that, quite simply, doesn't lend itself to these sort of romantic associations. Dour, functional and imbued with an absurdly misplaced arrogance, they're everything Hibs aren't.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Garvey's show is good with a lot of cracking tracks given an airing. He has, IMHO, a decent taste in music but I agree that Elbow are nothing special. Vastly overrated in fact.

As for other fans being jealous of the way SOL has become synonymous with Hibs, you're damn right. The yams in particular must privately wish they had a similar anthem. But they're a club that, quite simply, doesn't lend itself to these sort of romantic associations. Dour, functional and imbued with an absurdly misplaced arrogance, they're everything Hibs aren't.

And I thought Elgar had composed Pomp and Circumstance in honour of The Famous.

Turns out there’s no evidence he had ever heard of them. My bad.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    The best thing about the song is the fact no other club can sing it as their anthem i.e. (Celtic/Liverpool). It's unique to Hibs and that's great.
    Exactamondo!