hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Is there a clique on here?

Or more to the point .... Is there a double standard where some posters criticism of the club or certain players will be tolerated only up until the point where they start to disagree on the matter with certain long established contributors to the site at which point they get punted by the admins?

This is not my experience personally ... but I have read more than once, the latest being this morning, on other social media sites complaints from folk saying that all they were doing was disagreeing about the merits of a particular player or managers performance and they have ended up being banned, in many cases according to them before any accusations of personal abuse could be levelled against them.

In practically every case the complainants cited their own low post counts and the fact that the cut off point came when they started disagreeing with long established posters as giving credence to their theory that there is a certain amount of cronyism on the site between the folk running it and some site members who if not admins themselves are known to the admins personally.

As a long standing poster but one who doesn't know anybody running Hibs.Net or any of the other long established site members I have no axe to grind with anybody, but I have to say that there does appear to be a certain disdain for Hibs.Net amongst a fair proportion of Hibs fans who feel that it is over sensitive in its approach, too quick to ban folk and very much a forum where who you know or who you are makes a big difference when it comes to how the admins treat you.

I don't have to be in MENSA to know how the admins are going to react to this thread, but I would be interested to see if folk with low to moderate post counts agree with the perception of it which seems to be prevalent elsewhere.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    In my experience everyone is treated the same. But at times some posters go over the top and then get a warning and if they continue to be abusive or break the rules they get punted. .net is by far the most successful Hibs fan site on social media and therefore attracts some criticism from others.

Everyone on .net is a “yam”!
    Fact

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Peg sellers versus the world.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or more to the point .... Is there a double standard where some posters criticism of the club or certain players will be tolerated only up until the point where they start to disagree on the matter with certain long established contributors to the site at which point they get punted by the admins?

This is not my experience personally ... but I have read more than once, the latest being this morning, on other social media sites complaints from folk saying that all they were doing was disagreeing about the merits of a particular player or managers performance and they have ended up being banned, in many cases according to them before any accusations of personal abuse could be levelled against them.

In practically every case the complainants cited their own low post counts and the fact that the cut off point came when they started disagreeing with long established posters as giving credence to their theory that there is a certain amount of cronyism on the site between the folk running it and some site members who if not admins themselves are known to the admins personally.

As a long standing poster but one who doesn't know anybody running Hibs.Net or any of the other long established site members I have no axe to grind with anybody, but I have to say that there does appear to be a certain disdain for Hibs.Net amongst a fair proportion of Hibs fans who feel that it is over sensitive in its approach, too quick to ban folk and very much a forum where who you know or who you are makes a big difference when it comes to how the admins treat you.

I don't have to be in MENSA to know how the admins are going to react to this thread, but I would be interested to see if folk with low to moderate post counts agree with the perception of it which seems to be prevalent elsewhere.

Why should you be surprised it'll run as a normal thread. IMO hibs.net is pretty well self policed. It wouldn't be the most popular online forum if it was doing something wrong. Bans are very rarely handed out. A huge percentage of them are for non-hibs fans.

I would hazard a guess that of the posters who are "punted", there would have been warnings given beforehand and if not adhered to, then yes, they would be booted off.

Of course, school holidays, plastic owls and glass curtains bring out a certain type of poster who invariably will attract attention from those who are 1) less tolerant and/or 2) have a maroon-coloured radar

I think the site is moderated quite well, compared to a lot of other fans forums hibs.net is a bastion of decency and respectability.
    I like the no swearing policy and I find most posters are from the more mature end of the support so mad ranting and raving is replaced with measured, reasoned debate.
    Compare this with the mentalists on the Hearts and Rangers forums where abuse and hatespeak is the norm.
    Never noticed anyone get banned to be honest, just the occasional Jambo who gets outed. Have I missed something?

I would say overall, yes. I have said the same to the admins before. Certain posters are given more leeway to to be more abusive to other folk imo.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I’ve had the misfortune of visiting some FB football pages, including Hibs ones. Thank heavens for Hibs.net is all I’ll say.

Well the system must be broken as it's not showing any recent bans.

Rather than take their word for it why not challenge them and ask what their user name on here was. You won't get an answer

Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    Why should you be surprised it'll run as a normal thread. IMO hibs.net is pretty well self policed. It wouldn't be the most popular online forum if it was doing something wrong. Bans are very rarely handed out. A huge percentage of them are for non-hibs fans.
    I didn't mean I thought the thread would be closed or deleted ... all I meant was that the admins would utterly refute such accusations which is perfectly understandable.

Personally speaking there are some posters I have more time for than others. As in the real world there are people I click with and those I don't. I've been a member on here for 14 years and an admin for, over 2 spells, about 5. There are definitely posters who's opinions I look out for more than others.

When it comes to applying the rules I try and be as even handed as possible. I think there are a couple of issues at play. First of all there are a few people who appear on here very much with the intention of trying to get banned so they can run off elsewhere and call us the Taliban or whatever else. Secondly, and whilst I haven't seen the latest blow up on social media I suspect it may be the case here, we get people who are banned then try to register again and again using different names. Some don't make it in at all, others slip through the net and are caught and banned again at a later date. They tend to get very frustrated and as with others vent their anger elsewhere. A simple email rather than trying to be smart probably gives a greater chance of getting back in. Finally I think .net is so big (members wise) now that it's harder to become an 'established poster' than it was 10 or 15 years ago so some new members are more and more confrontational or controversial to try and get noticed.

I'd end by saying we are often accused of being self important or whatever else but it isn't an easy balancing act keeping things family friendly whilst also making it fun for a more mature audience. The bizarre thing is many of those who accuse us of taking things too seriously seem to overestimate the influence or .net more than any admins do. I always say it but it's supposed to be a bit of fun at the end of the day.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Yes, the Dot Net Super Elite Mega Clique Chatbox Mafia.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I didn't mean I thought the thread would be closed or deleted ... all I meant was that the admins would utterly refute such accusations which is perfectly understandable.
    I'm assuming they just make complaints about being banned on other forums, or social media?
    Unless there is specifics to look at its difficult to say if they have a point or not. You've generally got to be a complete rocket to be banned.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    As PB says above we try our best to be consistent and keep it accessible to as many hibs fans as possible. It's hard to get that balance right all of the time though.

In my experience most of the people slinging mud at the site and the admins would do better to have an honest look at their own approach to using social media rather than blaming us for allowing double standards and encouraging cliques.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    The thing a lot of people don't realise about message boards is they're nowhere near as unfiltered as social media: you can't just come on one, run your mouth off and expect nothing to happen. Coming on and saying "that player is pure *****" and getting pissed off when people respond with "eh, naw" means you're not going to last very long on here.

Message boards are for decent quality chat and if you're happy to take part in civilised debate and not engage in needless slagging/personal abuse then you'll fit right in. I don't know a single poster on here personally but I've never once even had a warning. A lot of (now banned) people presumably came on thinking this was Twitter etc where they could say whatever they want with no repercussions. They were more than likely warned and continued to do it anyway.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    The thing a lot of people don't realise about message boards is they're nowhere near as unfiltered as social media: you can't just come on one, run your mouth off and expect nothing to happen. Coming on and saying "that player is pure *****" and getting pissed off when people respond with "eh, naw" means you're not going to last very long on here.

Message boards are for decent quality chat and if you're happy to take part in civilised debate and not engage in needless slagging/personal abuse then you'll fit right in. I don't know a single poster on here personally but I've never once even had a warning. A lot of (now banned) people presumably came on thinking this was Twitter etc where they could say whatever they want with no repercussions. They were more than likely warned and continued to do it anyway.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Left by mutual consent!
    As a new poster I don’t get that feeling at all. In fact one the occurrence I was over the top it was pointed out and simplified. It’s a football message board with a lot of emotions and points of view not everyone is going to get on and some will feel hard done by.

Quote Originally Posted by HNA7 View Post
    Well the system must be broken as it's not showing any recent bans.

Rather than take their word for it why not challenge them and ask what their user name on here was. You won't get an answer
    Interestingly one of the guys saying he was punted according to him had the user name 'Agnes Gordon' ... though that claim now seems to have disappeared from the Facebook discussion .... hope this doesn't make me a grass

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Like PB says there’s folk that you get on better with on here than with others just like in life.

But that’s why we have an admin team, so that discussions about banning/warning people are fair.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Interestingly one of the guys saying he was punted according to him had the user name 'Agnes Gordon' ... though that claim now seems to have disappeared from the Facebook discussion .... hope this doesn't make me a grass
    Somebody called Agnes Gordon posted a thread right below this one about Paul Hanlon? Doesn’t look like anyone’s punted?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

A quick search shows Agnes Gordon was posting last night and isn't banned
    http://www.hibs.net/member.php?28235-Agnes-Gordon

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Seems to me, some posters get jumped on by a gang because they have an opinion that doesn't tow the line. Nae need.
    I should add, that this has never happened to me (yet)

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Seems to me, some posters get jumped on by a gang because they have an opinion that doesn't tow the line. Nae need.
    I should add, that this has never happened to me (yet)
    The first rule of the party line is, we don't discuss the party line.

IMO Contrary to some beliefs, the only line on hibs.net is decency.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    The first rule of the party line is, we don't discuss the party line.

IMO Contrary to some beliefs, the only line on hibs.net is decency.

Sorry, but I refuse to discuss this.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    [/B]

Sorry, but I refuse to discuss this.
    +1 golden member points.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    We can be too self critical at times maybe. Posting after a defeat when we haven't played well is always dicey and posts late on at the weekends with spelling errors are almost outliers. Other posts which are clearly wind ups maybe need to be avoided so if you are going to quote maybe count to ten first. Think that. net is tolerant with a huge majority of posters being well intentioned. If you look at some of the The Rangers fan sites they look like recruiting drives for Combat 18 and the KKK and they possible need state funded surveillance rather than admins. So we don't do too badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Personally speaking there are some posters I have more time for than others. As in the real world there are people I click with and those I don't. I've been a member on here for 14 years and an admin for, over 2 spells, about 5. There are definitely posters who's opinions I look out for more than others.

When it comes to applying the rules I try and be as even handed as possible. I think there are a couple of issues at play. First of all there are a few people who appear on here very much with the intention of trying to get banned so they can run off elsewhere and call us the Taliban or whatever else. Secondly, and whilst I haven't seen the latest blow up on social media I suspect it may be the case here, we get people who are banned then try to register again and again using different names. Some don't make it in at all, others slip through the net and are caught and banned again at a later date. They tend to get very frustrated and as with others vent their anger elsewhere. A simple email rather than trying to be smart probably gives a greater chance of getting back in. Finally I think .net is so big (members wise) now that it's harder to become an 'established poster' than it was 10 or 15 years ago so some new members are more and more confrontational or controversial to try and get noticed.

I'd end by saying we are often accused of being self important or whatever else but it isn't an easy balancing act keeping things family friendly whilst also making it fun for a more mature audience. The bizarre thing is many of those who accuse us of taking things too seriously seem to overestimate the influence or .net more than any admins do. I always say it but it's supposed to be a bit of fun at the end of the day.
    That's all very well PB .... but c'mon S****HORPE FC ....... its like North Korea on here

Is there a clique on here?

I personally have not seen any beauty products on this forum, imo

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    So can I ask what's brought all this to a head?