hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off The Ball

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee16 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cowan has done hearts fundraisers where it’s been suggested he doesn’t hold a high opinion of us and confirmed to me he’s bitter against us for some reason. Saying the golden generation was a myth etc about 12 years ago.
    He’s a regular on the dinner/fundraiser circuit - sure he is open to doing his routine for anyone who wants to hire him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    He’s a regular on the dinner/fundraiser circuit - sure he is open to doing his routine for anyone who wants to hire him.
    Fair enough I didn’t realise that. Has he been invited by Hibs or supporters before army any function? He done the hearts one for free though. Still dinner like him 😁

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Fair enough I didn’t realise that. Has he been invited by Hibs or supporters before army any function? He done the hearts one for free though. Still dinner like him ��
    Taking the green specs off for a moment, it says a lot that he did that gig for free. The club were in trouble, and needed to raise cash. From a Scottish football perspective, he saw it as important to help. That, for me, says that he looks beyond the parochial and the OF dialogue.

As a Well fan, he understands the pain of your club being in financial trouble, so it also displays empathy.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    Cosgrove has openly admitted he has a soft spot for Hibs
    After the cup final pitch invasion, Cosgrove was being positive about Hibs while Cowan was looking out the pitchforks.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Stuart Cosgrove said he liked Aberdeen last week, but not sure about Tam Cowan. If the guys are pro anybody, it is Scottish Football in general, so more power to their elbow I say.
    I think Cosgrove is okay. He was about the only one keeping a level head over the cup final aftermath when Cowan was screaming like a wee girl and isn't scared to criticise cheating clubs that don't live beyond their means. He's a bit blinkered on this issue but so are we all when it comes to our team.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Off The Ball is excellent. Listen to it every week via their podcast on the iPlayer when I’m in the car. There’s no Hearts bias, they often have Hibs related guests and they like to get it up the Old Firm. What’s not to like?
    Fully in agreement

Self-styled -"The most petty and ill-informed sports programme on radio".

And were taking issue with them?

Come on.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    After the cup final pitch invasion, Cosgrove was being positive about Hibs while Cowan was looking out the pitchforks.
    The whole point about having two presenters is to take opposing viewpoints I would think.This is how they get people to listen.

He's spoken about SOL after the 2007 cup win on Off The Ball quite a few times

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Taking the green specs off for a moment, it says a lot that he did that gig for free. The club were in trouble, and needed to raise cash. From a Scottish football perspective, he saw it as important to help. That, for me, says that he looks beyond the parochial and the OF dialogue.

As a Well fan, he understands the pain of your club being in financial trouble, so it also displays empathy.
    It displays his love of a free meal.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post

Fat Biscuits has far too much input into BBC sportsound. He gets to commentate regularly on games involving his beloved yams despite his crap squeaky voice thats not fit for commentating. Its a Yam love in show.
    I don’t think biscuits is ever on off the ball.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    He's as funny as the pox though.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    The whole point about having two presenters is to take opposing viewpoints I would think.This is how they get people to listen.
    Cowan was going radge about our fans immediately after the final whistle, in a Daily Record stylee.

Cowan

Cowan was going radge about our fans immediately after the final whistle, in a Daily Record stylee.
    Id rather have Chlamydia than a ticket to a Cowan gig.

Left by mutual consent!
    Jambo apologist. Look at their cup final thread posted on here last week. Spouting the exact same guff Cowan did on off the ball after we won the cup. He couldn’t take it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by highland hibbee View Post
    Id rather have Chlamydia than a ticket to a Cowan gig.
    He laughs at his own ***** patter.

I didn’t mind him a good few years back but he definitely doesn’t like us for no reason, since I worked that out can’t be arsed with him at all nor Cosgrove.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

Did he do the same for Dundee, Livingston? No.

He laughs at his own ***** patter.

I didn’t mind him a good few years back but he definitely doesn’t like us for no reason, since I worked that out can’t be arsed with him at all nor Cosgrove.

Am am I right in thinking that his club were one of those who weren’t even paying their staff the minimum wage.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I don’t think biscuits is ever on off the ball.
    Think you've misconstrued my point. He appears to have considerable standing within BBC Scots radio football output across the board and the yams are mentioned significantly out of proportion to their current position.

mon the cabbage

Did he do the same for Dundee, Livingston? No.
    I don't know. Was he asked?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

If he has I’ve never heard it. Whist Cowan is extremely pro-hearts. There is also loads of hearts connected players on the show too. That’s why I stopped listening even the podcast when bored on the bus to work.
    I wouldn't mind them being pro Hearts if their chat was in any way funny. A lot of their jokes seem to be recycled from the Christmas panto.

I despair sometimes at the desire to intellectualise football. If you take crap jokes, parochialism, emotional ranting and ill informed opinion out of Scottish football you would be as well just shutting up shop now. The ability to self deprecate is an underrated one. Off The Ball doesn't claim to be anything it's not; it's petty nonsense and proud of it, I can't say I've ever heard too much to be upset about on it.

Of course there is a place for informed analysis in football but a light entertainment talk show isn't it. As with Sportsound it seems a lot of people only listen in to be annoyed, if you don't like it there's a simple solution.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I despair sometimes at the desire to intellectualise football. If you take crap jokes, parochialism, emotional ranting and ill informed opinion out of Scottish football you would be as well just shutting up shop now. The ability to self deprecate is an underrated one. Off The Ball doesn't claim to be anything it's not; it's petty nonsense and proud of it, I can't say I've ever heard too much to be upset about on it.

Of course there is a place for informed analysis in football but a light entertainment talk show isn't it. As with Sportsound it seems a lot of people only listen in to be annoyed, if you don't like it there's a simple solution.
    Completely agree. I'ts pub banter in a studio. Doesn't claim to be anything else.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Saw Stuart Cosgrove at the book festival last year talking about his book, Detroit 67 (which is excellent, as are his Memphis 68 and Young Soul Rebels books).

Someone I’d Love to talk football, and particularly music, with over a few beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I agree with the sentiment, but you can be non intellectual and still be funny. My gripe with those two is they're just not funny.

I went to see the live version of 'Off the Ball' at the Fringe a few years ago. Great afternoon. Guests were BBC news reader Cat Shearer, and also Paul Daniels and the lovely Debbie McGhee. Random choice of guests you might think, and it doesn't get any less weird when you hear the story of how Daniels stopped Cowan being run doon by a tram when he was a bairn on holiday in Blackpool (no magic employed in the process). So if anyone doesn't like Cowan, you can blame the late Paul Daniels for the fact he has made it to adulthood......

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Saw Stuart Cosgrove at the book festival last year talking about his book, Detroit 67 (which is excellent, as are his Memphis 68 and Young Soul Rebels books).

Someone I’d Love to talk football, and particularly music, with over a few beers.
    I wis there too.

Loved Detroit 67. Looking forward to reading Memphis 68.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I agree with the sentiment, but you can be non intellectual and still be funny. My gripe with those two is they're just not funny.
    To paraphrase the Ref MP from Moray, when no saying “Red Red”… the comedy value of this show is akin to “drinking a pint of cold sick”.

The Kris Boyd bit was really funny this week when they played the advert with his American accent. Steve McClaren(esk) as Tam Cowan described it 😂😂

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    The Kris Boyd bit was really funny this week when they played the advert with his American accent. Steve McClaren(esk) as Tam Cowan described it 😂😂
    It was done before on the podcast with Simon Ferry in open goal. Something about a bed advert when in America.

Listen often on Saturday to the early and late show versions when I can and I enjoy them - don't agree with everything they say, don't feel I have to - seems to me they have fun with all and sundry ... one of the funniest parts of the show is when they read out emails from football fans complaining of bias ... hilarious for what must surely be obvious reasons ...