hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

Tick tock 55 years coming to an end. (NHC)

https://www.google.de/amp/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11896/11272124/hamburgs-time-running-out-in-battle-to-avoid-first-bundesliga-relegation

HSV look to be in real trouble and look like being relegated from the top flight for the first time in their history. With Köln leading 2-0 in their Derby against Leverkusen it's not looking great for them. As a Werder fan I find this extremely pleasing. They've managed to slip out of the noose at the last minute the last few seasons but it will take a miracle to save them from the drop now.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Do they not have some love in with Rangers? If it's them I'm thinking about I can't say I'll be shedding any tears.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do they not have some love in with Rangers? If it's them I'm thinking about I can't say I'll be shedding any tears.

Yes they do. Seen a few Hamburg flags at ibrox and Hamburg done a union jack display a few years back. boak inducing stuff

Hope they do go down then!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Not sure if it was a love in or just a stupid attempt to wind up Celtic fans, but you're right, there won't be many over here shedding a tear for them. That stupid and arrogant clock hasn't won them any hearts either.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    thought this thread was about hertz winning a league cup again

it's only a year out after all :)

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post

So did i! Hamburg will win Champions League before that happens

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    So did i! Hamburg will win Champions League before that happens

and tinycastle will have a full house of over 20K before that happens

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Lost count and couldn’t give a flying one.

Hearts fans will be acutely aware how long it’s been though... good enough for me.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Not sure if it was a love in or just a stupid attempt to wind up Celtic fans, but you're right, there won't be many over here shedding a tear for them. That stupid and arrogant clock hasn't won them any hearts either.
    Possibly a knock-on from Celtc fans rough wooing of any team they think bolsters their image as a 'people's club'. They're all over St Pauli like a rash, which makes HSV a 'team to support' for those Huns whose life is dictated by rising to the bait.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

lol, so did I

Testimonial Due
    Was in Hamburg last February, watched them beat Leverkusen 1.0. Was in pub before hand and got talking to a few older Hamburg fans. Very nice and polite, walked us to stadium to show us exactly where our seats were and gave one of my pals his scarf that was limited edition for a certain season ticket holder. Very polite people, spoke about hating premier league and clubs like Leipzig in Germany flushed with money. So personally I hope they stay up!

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vqvY70NugQ

If its not a love in its a mutual admiration then.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Yes they do. Seen a few Hamburg flags at ibrox and Hamburg done a union jack display a few years back. boak inducing stuff
    A union jack display with no surrender included also, if im remembering correctly.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Went to a Hamburg game a few years ago on a stag do and was a bit perturbed by the Rangers links. A few troubling Rangers supporters on the flight over as well. Not a team I’d rush back to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Possibly a knock-on from Celtc fans rough wooing of any team they think bolsters their image as a 'people's club'. They're all over St Pauli like a rash, which makes HSV a 'team to support' for those Huns whose life is dictated by rising to the bait.
    Might also be a reaction to the way Celtic fans behaved in Hamburg back in the 90's. I was appalled watching Hamburg fans getting smacked about by the drunken ugly hoards, I witnessed one guy get battered for having a cut off denim jacket plastered in HSV badges because the blue offended the drunken mob. They just walked amongst the crowd swedging anyone in their path. I was there with a mate from Berlin to see Andy Thom and almost felt ashamed to be Scottish.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    When I was younger, Der Hammer was the closest thing to a real life superhero I had ever seen. He once hit a freekick so hard that one of the lads in the wall had to go to hospital. As he was from Hamburg, in my childish mind, that was a place full of strongmen who could do amazing feats of strength. The reality is sadly mundane, but I have always had a soft spot for Hamburg because of it.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    When I was younger, Der Hammer was the closest thing to a real life superhero I had ever seen. He once hit a freekick so hard that one of the lads in the wall had to go to hospital. As he was from Hamburg, in my childish mind, that was a place full of strongmen who could do amazing feats of strength. The reality is sadly mundane, but I have always had a soft spot for Hamburg because of it.

He's probably one of only a few huns I've actually really liked. His free kicks still give me the fear.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    He's probably one of only a few huns I've actually really liked. His free kicks still give me the fear.
    When I was at school, anyone who hit a screamer from distance in the playground (no matter who they supported) used to shout "Albertz"!! I think he is our generations Koeman.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    A banner with “Refugees Welcome” at Hamburg’s stadium popped up on a social media post recently. You wouldn’t get that at Ibrox.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    A banner with “Refugees Welcome” at Hamburg’s stadium popped up on a social media post recently. You wouldn’t get that at Ibrox.
    That was a reference to visiting rangers fans

Might also be a reaction to the way Celtic fans behaved in Hamburg back in the 90's. I was appalled watching Hamburg fans getting smacked about by the drunken ugly hoards, I witnessed one guy get battered for having a cut off denim jacket plastered in HSV badges because the blue offended the drunken mob. They just walked amongst the crowd swedging anyone in their path. I was there with a mate from Berlin to see Andy Thom and almost felt ashamed to be Scottish.
    So do they

Touché

Pretty sure there was a Hamburg flag down the front of the West on 21/5/16. I might need to watch whole game again to check.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Pretty sure there was a Hamburg flag down the front of the West on 21/5/16. I might need to watch whole game again to check.
    There was indeed but definitely watch it all again to confirm.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    https://www.google.de/amp/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11896/11272124/hamburgs-time-running-out-in-battle-to-avoid-first-bundesliga-relegation

HSV look to be in real trouble and look like being relegated from the top flight for the first time in their history. With Köln leading 2-0 in their Derby against Leverkusen it's not looking great for them. As a Werder fan I find this extremely pleasing. They've managed to slip out of the noose at the last minute the last few seasons but it will take a miracle to save them from the drop now.
    As a Köln fan I hope they take Mainz and Wolfsburg with them :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    So do they

Always thought the rankers connection was simply a reaction to sellic's supposed connection to St Pauli.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    When I was at school, anyone who hit a screamer from distance in the playground (no matter who they supported) used to shout "Albertz"!! I think he is our generations Koeman.

Haha we were the same. Used to practice and practice hitting the ball as hard as i could to score an "Albertz"

The HSV-Ranger's fan link seems to date back to ca. 1974 when Hamburg played Rangers at Volksparkstadion - apparently the Hamburg fans were greatly impressed by their Glasgow counterparts, as German clubs and their fans were a bit "lame" or boring at the time in terms of how they supported the club - Some Hamburg fans then travelled to Glasgow to see how the Rangers fans behaved in Scotland - it was a fan thing, nothing to do with Celtic at the time. In 1977 the Hamburg fans founded a "Hamburg Loyal Rangers SC" club - one they claim to be the oldest Rangers fan club outside Scotland?

Lots of RW thugs/fans at Hamburg games in the 90s and Jörg Albertz's move to Glasgow probably also influenced their outlook ... particularly as he went back to HSV after his stint in Scotland

The St Pauli-Celtic thing started in 87 apparently - so that cemented the HSV- Rangers thing ...

HSV also have fan "love-ins" with other clubs ...

HSV is a very badly run club and has been for years, but something in me would like to see them maintain their unbroken stay in the Bundesliga ...