hibs.net Messageboard

Another bridge collapses in the US

Shocking situation, especially for those that were driving under it as it collapsed.

The video shows a few cars fully or partially trapped under the bridge. Looks like one car driver had a close encounter - the front part of the car is untouched, the rear part is flattened.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43418898

The Florida Highway Patrol said several people were killed and five to six vehicles were crushed, local media report. The 950-ton span only went up on Saturday, CBS Miami reports.

There have been a few other bridge collapses in the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22649625

A four-lane highway bridge in Washington state has collapsed after being struck by a lorry, six years after 13 people were killed when another bridge fell. So how safe are bridges in the US?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Another example of US bridge collapses:

From 2007, a key road bridge over the Mississippi river in the US state of Minnesota has collapsed in the evening rush hour killing at least seven people. At least 60 were injured when part of the I-35W bridge in Minneapolis gave way at 1805 (2305 GMT) on Wednesday. As the structure buckled, up to 50 vehicles were hurled into the water.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6927113.stm

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    What's going on there? Is their building code and/or technical training not up to scratch?

Or does it happen elsewhere as well and just isn't reported?
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's going on there? Is their building code and/or technical training not up to scratch?

Or does it happen elsewhere as well and just isn't reported?
    I'm not an engineer, so not an expert and not suggesting this has happened here but I've driven a few "wonky" roads in Florida. The ground is very soft in places, especially in the low lying areas and there are roads that are like a ribbon of tarmac that start of flat but start to undulate over the years. The engineers there must struggle to hit bedrock for foundations!

At least six people confirmed as dead.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    I'm not an engineer, so not an expert and not suggesting this has happened here but I've driven a few "wonky" roads in Florida. The ground is very soft in places, especially in the low lying areas and there are roads that are like a ribbon of tarmac that start of flat but start to undulate over the years. The engineers there must struggle to hit bedrock for foundations!
    No excuse, SG. There are several ways of dealing with dodgy ground (friction piles being one). The whole point of engineering is being able to overcome these difficulties by design with proper safety factors. This collapse could be as a result of one failure point or an accumulation of many smaller ones.

Someone said this is not the first collapse in the USA and linked to one where a truck had hit the bridge. That's hardly the engineer's fault.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    No excuse, SG. There are several ways of dealing with dodgy ground (friction piles being one). The whole point of engineering is being able to overcome these difficulties by design with proper safety factors. This collapse could be as a result of one failure point or an accumulation of many smaller ones.

Someone said this is not the first collapse in the USA and linked to one where a truck had hit the bridge. That's hardly the engineer's fault.
    You would think that civil engineers would factor in the possibility/likelihood of such an eventuality.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    At least I now understand why they want to make the Mexicans build the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    At least I now understand why they want to make the Mexicans build the wall.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    You would think that civil engineers would factor in the possibility/likelihood of such an eventuality.
    I'm sure there would have been some designed in collision FoS but it's almost impossible to cover every disaster that could happen.

An engineer working on the Miami university bridge warned of cracks in the structure, two days before it collapsed killing at least six people. Denney Pate, lead bridge engineer for contractor FIGG, left a voicemail with the Florida transport department on Tuesday. He warned of "cracking" but also said there was no concern "from a safety perspective". Department employees did not hear the message until after the bridge fell.

I think if I had see cracks on the newly erected structure, I think I would have escalated it much better than leaving a voicemail.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43440501

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    An engineer working on the Miami university bridge warned of cracks in the structure, two days before it collapsed killing at least six people. Denney Pate, lead bridge engineer for contractor FIGG, left a voicemail with the Florida transport department on Tuesday. He warned of "cracking" but also said there was no concern "from a safety perspective". Department employees did not hear the message until after the bridge fell.

I think if I had see cracks on the newly erected structure, I think I would have escalated it much better than leaving a voicemail.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43440501
    I think Laws in North America are that (esp. as an engineer) you are legally bound to report a defect. You can be charged if there is a collapse (or the like) and it can be proved you were aware of the defect but didn't report it.

What kind/size of cracks were they? Shear cracks? Tension cracks? Shrinkage cracks? They would appear to have been minor as the engineer suggested there was 'no concern'. No doubt the culprit(s) will be found out in due course.
    They'll be looking at the design calcs/the site engineer's log/steel fixer's work/concrete supplier's records/steel fabrication/et al.

Dont forget the Hyatt Hotel disaster in which two link bridges collapsed one on top of the other. Tens of deaths in that horrific incident.

They do appear to have some bad form when it comes to engineering disasters.