hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Beast from the East

Just wondering if the game will be on on Wednesday if the forecast -6 degree temperatures and snowdrifts hit ???

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    I saw the title and thought it was about Rix. 😁

I saw STV suggest it could be under threat.

Would be surprised if it got called off. City heat tends to subdue really heavy snow in Edinburgh to an extent(2010 aside), and I'm sure we have decent undersoil heating.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Would be surprised if it got called off. City heat tends to subdue really heavy snow in Edinburgh to an extent(2010 aside), and I'm sure we have decent undersoil heating.
    They have to take the safety of people traveling from Hamilton into account though. If the met office warns against non essential travel, they may have to call it off.

If the amber warning stays in place until Wednesday they may have a decision to make.

I personally think it will be on though.

@hibs.net private member
    The pitch will be fine but the surrounding roads and streets might not be. They should also consider fan comfort, if it’s going to be as cold as they say sitting outside in -10 to -15 is not going to be very pleasant

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    They have to take the safety of people traveling from Hamilton into account though. If the met office warns against non essential travel, they may have to call it off.
    Could maybe arrange a helicopter for the 5 or 6 of them?

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    Seems a bit off given the numbers we're talking about. They could just drive the midweek mid-blizzard Hamilton Academicals support over to Edinburgh in the passenger seat of the gritter...

If its to be as bad as they say some of us are going to have a difficult decision to make. Plenty of folk travel from outside Edinburgh to watch Hibs and like me a few will be thinking twice if this time it means driving through 6 inch deep snow, especially at night.

Both Hibs and Hamilton have a free weekend .... it seems utterly sensible to me to move this game to then. I went into the Hamilton official site and interestingly it lists their next game as away to Hibs on Saturday the 3rd of March.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    If its to be as bad as they say some of us are going to have a difficult decision to make. Plenty of folk travel from outside Edinburgh to watch Hibs and like me a few will be thinking twice if this time it means driving through 6 inch deep snow, especially at night.

Both Hibs and Hamilton have a free weekend .... it seems utterly sensible to me to move this game to then. I went into the Hamilton official site and interestingly it lists their next game as away to Hibs on Saturday the 3rd of March.
    Hamilton have rearranged a league game already for Saturday.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post
    Seems a bit off given the numbers we're talking about. They could just drive the midweek mid-blizzard Hamilton Academicals support over to Edinburgh in the passenger seat of the gritter...
    Team to consider as well.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post
    The Hamilton team still need to travel regardless of how many fans travel. I’m not saying it will be called off, just thinking that if there’s an amber warning they may have to think about it. As someone else has said, we will have fans traveling from outside Edinburgh too.

Testimonial Due
    Suspect the playing surface will be ok with undersoil heating etc.

The game will be called off if there is a public safety issue and this will be a decision for Police Scotland I'd imagine.

If they believe that due to adverse weather 16,000+ people in and around ER with all the additional traffic that brings is not a good idea then it will get called off.

Bear in mind that most people who travel in by car park in surrounding side streets which may not have been gritted (or ploughed if it comes to that) could cause problems with cars getting stuck.

Also any potential disruption to public transport would be taken into account by the Police.

My opinion at present is it's 70/30 in favour of going ahead but the forecast for Leith on Wednesday is pretty poor at present.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Hamilton have rearranged a league game already for Saturday.
    Somebody had better tell whoever runs their official site then mate, coz according to it they are playing us ..... its not just on the fixture list, its front and centre as 'next match' on their home page

I presume its just an error on their part, no wonder they don't get much of an away support if the club are sending folk to the wrong stadium. I have never missed a home game coz of the weather and I'm pretty experienced when it comes to driving in snow .... but I have passengers to consider as well who have work and school the next day. We usually get home around 11:30 after night games as it is ... who knows what time it will be if it turns out the best I can manage is 20mph.

If the forecast is right and the game goes ahead this will be our lowest crowd of the season by some distance .... on top of the travelling conditions its going to be bitterly cold and that will put a lot of folk off, especially those with kids.

Was thinking it may well be in doubt if the forecast for weds into Thurs is correct as it looks pretty bleak. Safety has to be taken into consideration even if pitch is playable as expected

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Somebody had better tell whoever runs their official site then mate, coz according to it they are playing us ..... its not just on the fixture list, its front and centre as 'next match' on their home page

I presume its just an error on their part, no wonder they don't get much of an away support if the club are sending folk to the wrong stadium. I have never missed a home game coz of the weather and I'm pretty experienced when it comes to driving in snow .... but I have passengers to consider as well who have work and school the next day. We usually get home around 11:30 after night games as it is ... who knows what time it will be if it turns out the best I can manage is 20mph.

If the forecast is right and the game goes ahead this will be our lowest crowd of the season by some distance .... on top of the travelling conditions its going to be bitterly cold and that will put a lot of folk off, especially those with kids.
    The guy that does their website is probably the same guy that organises their finances. They’re away to St Johnstone on Saturday.

United we stand here....

We've both for a free weekend on the 24th though so it wouldn't be a disaster if it got called off. Looks like a bad one coming from the East and Wednesday looks like a topper of a day for snow.

'S' Form

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Was thinking it may well be in doubt if the forecast for weds into Thurs is correct as it looks pretty bleak. Safety has to be taken into consideration even if pitch is playable as expected

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    All the mid week fixtures should be postponed ,, Aberdeen travel to Motherwell , Ross County to Partick , Dundee to Parkhead,Huns tp Perth.
    Not a good plan to expect teams and supporters to travel.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle1875 View Post

Always warmer in cities

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43197637
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

If Nick Cave is right we will all be
    Under Fifteen Feet Of Pure White Snow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by porthibbie View Post
    All the mid week fixtures should be postponed ,, Aberdeen travel to Motherwell , Ross County to Partick , Dundee to Parkhead,Huns tp Perth.
    Not a good plan to expect teams and supporters to travel.
    Does anyone else think it would make sense to have a winter break?

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    It's a sunny 17C in Madrid today. 😎

Fly back to Edinburgh tonight though...
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    It's a sunny 17C in Madrid today. 😎

Fly back to Edinburgh tonight though...
    21C here today and 23 C tomorrow. I'm no flying anywhere......

Anyone travelling from East Angia?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43198134

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    21C here today and 23 C tomorrow. I'm no flying anywhere......
    Sorted!
    Mon the Hibs.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    There's a snowballs chance in hell of me dragging myself out of a warm house to go and sit in -6 conditions and paying £22 for the privilege.
    I have seen the days when I wouldn't have given it a 2nd thought but I am older, wiser and in particular, more skint these days.

I'm working on Wednesday so cant make it but even if I wasn't i'd be giving serious consideration whether to go or not. No fun at all sitting in weather that's got a real feel of minus 12.

Sensible? Football authorities!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    We've both for a free weekend on the 24th though so it wouldn't be a disaster if it got called off. Looks like a bad one coming from the East and Wednesday looks like a topper of a day for snow.
    It’s international weekend, no premiership games that say

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Beast from the east is a good rhyme.

Shame Craig Levein isn't from Sri Lanka as I'd have had a better one.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction