hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Liam89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Harsh. There's nothing dirty about his play at all, he's basically a flawless defensive midfielder at this level. His positional sense, reading of the game, tackling ability, strength and stamina are perfect as far as I am concerned. He's a really decent player.
    Agreed, he's a good passer and always retains possession. Equally, he fairly wins the ball back and out-strengths him opponents.

2. Log in to remove the advert

He's our beast from the east
    Marvin Bartley

I'lll get my coat......

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Did I actually say he was dirty, jeez talk about putting words in my mouth. Dirty work means exactly what you posted, all the hard graft, tackling and general tidying up in the midfield when needed.
    I'm not putting words in your mouth mate, I just used the word you used

Either way, it's a bit reductive to call what he does 'dirty work'. If that's dirty work them Marciano must be filthy. Marvin is a talented defensive player. If it was easy to do then every team in the league would have someone just as good.

I'm not putting words in your mouth mate, I just used the word you used

Either way, it's a bit reductive to call what he does 'dirty work'. If that's dirty work them Marciano must be filthy. Marvin is a talented defensive player. If it was easy to do then every team in the league would have someone just as good.
    The words I used are "Dirty work" hugely different from being dirty player.

Yes he's a defensive midfielder who does his job well but let's not get carried away here. He does a certain job for the team but when all the other midfielders are fit and playing well he'll not play. Good player if you want an enforcer or to see out games.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I love Marvin Bartley. He's a cracking player, absolutely immense at the role he's given.

Absolutely fearless, tough, and reliable. What's not to like?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries

Yes he's a defensive midfielder who does his job well but let's not get carried away here. He does a certain job for the team but when all the other midfielders are fit and playing well he'll not play. Good player if you want an enforcer or to see out games.
    Not required to heehaw the jambos.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Big Marv is the man.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

Harsh. There's nothing dirty about his play at all, he's basically a flawless defensive midfielder at this level. His positional sense, reading of the game, tackling ability, strength and stamina are perfect as far as I am concerned. He's a really decent player.
    just the way I see him

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sauz View Post
    Marvin Bartley

I'lll get my coat......
    he's the mouth from the South, Leyton Orient Lip, try givin' him hassle he'll give you some gip. he wont hang about, you don't hear him shout, just try him with hassle , he'll slap you no doubt.

I don’t see what the issue is with the term dirty work. He does it. It doesn’t take away from his ability to suggest he does the unglamorous stuff that other midfielders such as Scott Allan may not do.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I don’t see what the issue is with the term dirty work. He does it. It doesn’t take away from his ability to suggest he does the unglamorous stuff that other midfielders such as Scott Allan may not do.

Exactly, but Elephant Stone thought I was being derogatory toward Bartley calling him dirty, he's a different midfielder that's needed in certain games and situations.

To be fair Scotty done his fair share of dirty work in the Derby last Friday probably that is that impressed me most about him. His attitude has been spot on since his return. I can remember 1 incident in the corner between West and South stands where he slid in for an excellent t sliding tackle on a yam them ripped the p##h out of said Yam...was a thing of beauty

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    To be fair Scotty done his fair share of dirty work in the Derby last Friday probably that is that impressed me most about him. His attitude has been spot on since his return. I can remember 1 incident in the corner between West and South stands where he slid in for an excellent t sliding tackle on a yam them ripped the p##h out of said Yam...was a thing of beauty

Yeah he’s had more dig about him since returning I agree. My point was mostly that it’s not an insult to a player to highlight them as a dirty work type. It wasn’t an insult to Matty Jack for example.

Yeah he’s had more dig about him since returning I agree. My point was mostly that it’s not an insult to a player to highlight them as a dirty work type. It wasn’t an insult to Matty Jack for example.
    Not at all mate there is no denying Marv and Matty Jack excel(ed) in doing the dirtier side of things