hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Getting drunk before a game

What's the appeal?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Heavy buzz man

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    None whatsoever. Never done it, never will. Prefer to experience the game sober.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's the appeal?
    I think the appeal is getting drunk is generally good fun if done right. Depends how drunk you’re talking though.

I always like a few drinks before games and it’s a big part of the day, depending on what happens before and how well the lagers going down there’s times I’ve been drunker than expected and there’s been times I’ve been absolutely blazing. In ideal situation for me now is probably a sociable 5 or 6 nice pints before a game, much more than that and I’m struggling to enjoy it.

I’ve not really got an issue with drunk people at games, it’s the younger guys that are clearly coked out their nut and probably still out from the night before that do my head in.

I feel really old saying that.

Sing song in a pub is always enhanced with a few pints. I’ll always have a few on a big away/hampden day.

Nobody’s forcing anyone to drink, but nothing wrong with having a few on your day out. If you’re not slittered and making the match uncomfortable for anyone else, and shouting embarrassing things then no harm.

In my experience there’s plenty sober people around me shout more sh*te and make more of an erse of themselves than me with my few pints in me :)

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    None whatsoever. Never done it, never will. Prefer to experience the game sober.
    How do you know what you prefer if you’ve never tried the alternative?

It’s good, should give it a bash some time.

How do you know if you’ve never done it?

I’ve just realised I’ve pretty much duplicated bingo’s posts with my two replies haha.

Might as well go the fully copycat and say I no longer like the coke heids :)

A few bevies and a sing song before a big game is great. Prefer not to get too mashed though as the game seems to fly by ... like v Anderlecht when we were drinking in pub outside rail station from 8am!

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    I'm still thankful that I never had a drink before that day in May, I recall everything about it as I was sober.

One guy sitting behind us, in Section 11 West Stand, was completely wasted when he arrived. He was really irritating, almost falling on top of my Dad during the game, constantly shouting 'Paedos' and smoking fags.

I realise some people like a drink before a game, and I have no problem with that, but I don't understand the need to get so wasted.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Is this thread a joke? There’s been times when I’ve needed to have a drink before a game to make me go.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Clash View Post
    A few bevies and a sing song before a big game is great. Prefer not to get too mashed though as the game seems to fly by ... like v Anderlecht when we were drinking in pub outside rail station from 8am!
    I got myself in a right pickle before the Barcelona game, made a right tit of myself and something i regret as I’d love to see Barcelona, and Messi in particular now.

Airdrie away in the play off game was another one I never covered myself in glory in, think I was about 16 or 17 then so sure I wasn’t the first or last to do that at that age.

Generally calms the nerves

I love a good drink, but I find drunk people very irritating when I'm sober, at the football or not. I think most people are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I love a good drink, but I find drunk people very irritating when I'm sober, at the football or not. I think most people are the same.
    I find most people irritating all the time, them being drunk just makes them a bit louder 😉

In all seriousness I completely agree, drunk folk are a pain in the arse when you’re sober.

So if you haven't done it before how do you know What it would be like?

I like a few or half a dozen before the game. Done it last Friday and will be doing it again this Friday.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    My bladder just won't let me do it anymore, any more than a couple of pints and I'm up and down like a yoyo and miss too much of the game.

2 or 3 pints is good.
    5 pints is not good, need to go to the toilet every 20 minutes, game flies by, don't really take it in, might have a go at idiots who sit round me and get on my thrupennies etc

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Is this thread a joke? There’s been times when I’ve needed to have a drink before a game to make me go.

There's a difference between having a couple of beers and getting so wasted you can barely stand.

Seen too many of the latter at big games.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Depends what you mean by drunk. Normally have 2 to 3 pints before a match unless I am working nightshift.

However, with it being a Friday night and being off I had several more than normal, met up with several people I hadn’t met in ages, had a great laugh and arrived at the game a little merry but by no means drunk.

Some grown men can actually go to the pub, have a drink and not get fall down drunk. Far too many puritans on here these days. Thoroghly enjoyed my whole day, not just the game and the resut.

No problem with folk drinking before the game, I myself enjoy doing it but as long as you don't then act like a tit and ruin the game for others. Most people manage to go drinking before the game and are absolutely fine but there is always a small minority of idiots who can't handle it.

Group of us all had quite a big drink before Fridays game but we behaved, didn't cause anyone any bother and enjoyed the game with everyone around us.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I suppose getting reeko at a big game shows you value the day out more than the Hibs. I’ve done it at Scotland games for that exact reason.

Testimonial Due
    Ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    Ridiculous
    Ridiculous.

On the walk up to the game on friday there were folk necking bottles of wine, bottles of vodka, etc

Testimonial Due
    I was in the harp and castle from about 1, me and mate took half day at work. Stayed till about 7.15 before walking to easter road, had a fair few pints but still remember the game and was all in good spirit, having a few sing songs etc. Made sure i went to toilet before kick off and at half time so i wasn't annoying anyone making them move.

as others have said above, if you're not getting totally hammered and acting like an arse nothing wrong with it. I only tend to enjoy a day out/drinking before a derby or hampden trips, rest of time i take the car

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    How do you know if you’ve never done it?
    I don't particularly enjoy being drunk and watching anything. Interacting with people yes, anything else no. I don't feel I can take as much in.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I’ve never been drunk at a Hibs game. Always left the serious drinking for post-match. Different story for Scotland games which I regard as a day out as well as the match itself.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post