hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: McGeouch

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Leannn and Rod seem pretty astute business people , surely if just by bringing certain things in house it resulted in a huge increase in revenue they would have done so?
    Indeed.

I think some are getting mixed up between "turnover" and "profit". The former is important, but much less so than the latter.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Leannn and Rod seem pretty astute business people , surely if just by bringing certain things in house it resulted in a huge increase in revenue they would have done so?
    It would be a big increase in revenue but also a big increase in costs, risk and logistical issues. Ultimately the bottom line is profit, not turnover.

The biggest issue with Aberdeen is that they do seem to be able to pay more than us towards the football side of the business so does having the retail and catering options "in-house" allow them to do that?

Because Aberdeen is a one-club city and because there isn't much else around in terms of sporting hospitality options (Edinburgh has Scotland Rugby, Edinburgh Rugby, Hibs, Hearts, Speedway, Musselburgh Races, etc.) I suspect their hospitality and sponsorship income is significantly more than us also.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    PSL run our retail operations. They only took over in June 2017 however, so I guess we'd have to wait until their next accounts came out to find out. I can't remember who ran the shop before PSL.
    Cheers.

PSL Team Sports Limited, if that's who they are, were dormant until at least January 2017. It sounds like we are their first client. So, if they do their accounts to January 2018, or even extend their period-end to June, those first accounts will be very interesting.

PSL run our retail operations. They only took over in June 2017 however, so I guess we'd have to wait until their next accounts came out to find out. I can't remember who ran the shop before PSL.
    Pretty sure it was these guys before:

http://www.justsport-group.com/justsport-proclub/

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Cheers.

PSL Team Sports Limited, if that's who they are, were dormant until at least January 2017. It sounds like we are their first client. So, if they do their accounts to January 2018, or even extend their period-end to June, those first accounts will be very interesting.
    They do lots of smaller football and rugby stuff. They've been doing Currie Rugby for years.

https://www.pslteamsports.com/club-shops.html

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    They do lots of smaller football and rugby stuff. They've been doing Currie Rugby for years.

Ta.

I'm guessing that they ran that as a sole trader or partnership, then, or perhaps the company that owns them have a different name. The company with that name haven't filed any trading accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Ta.

I'm guessing that they ran that as a sole trader or partnership, then, or perhaps the company that owns them have a different name. The company with that name haven't filed any trading accounts.
    Started in 2006, PSL Team Sports was created as a division of Provan Sports Limited (PSL) to focus on our expertise in providing kit, clothing and equipment solutions.
    Think this is the parent:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC306073

Ta.

Because that's a small company, there is no Profit and Loss Account filed. So it would be difficult to gauge, from future accounts, how much Hibs are worth to them.

I am wondering if they have set up new company just to deal with Hibs; or perhaps they might use the dormant company that's already there. Either way, we won't know until the summer at the earliest.

Have we really come to the conclusion that Aberdeen have double the turnover than us cos they don't outsource catering and retail? Catering to a half empty stadium and they reduce kits to £10 around April. Much more likely advertising/commercial IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Spudster View Post
    Have we really come to the conclusion that Aberdeen have double the turnover than us cos they don't outsource catering and retail? Catering to a half empty stadium and they reduce kits to £10 around April. Much more likely advertising/commercial IMO
    Their runs to both cup finals and 2nd in the league last year would have added substantial prize money as well.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...mpression=true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar

They are also doing the kit for Team Scotland at the Commonwealth Games next month.

Blog Entries
    He added: “I’m enjoying my time [at Hibs], I’ve had a lot of highs and it’s been a great season. But obviously I need to get the best deal I can for myself at this time in my career.

“I’m still at a young age, I don’t really want to chase the money. My time here has been great and I have had an excellent relationship with the fans and the club. I wouldn’t just take the first offer that came.”

Depending on how you care to interpret the above, I would guess it’s 50-50 as to whether he stays or goes. Some of it sounds very promising and encouraging for what we want to hear but the crucial comment to my mind is “I need to get the best deal I can for myself at this time in my career.” The best deal, of course, doesn’t have to be financial, but despite what he says about ‘not wanting to chase the money’ you can’t help feeling it will be about money and he can’t be faulted for that.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Sounds pretty positive, especially regards to his thoughts on money and his relationship with us.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    He added: “I’m enjoying my time [at Hibs], I’ve had a lot of highs and it’s been a great season. But obviously I need to get the best deal I can for myself at this time in my career.

“I’m still at a young age, I don’t really want to chase the money. My time here has been great and I have had an excellent relationship with the fans and the club. I wouldn’t just take the first offer that came.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Depending on how you care to interpret the above, I would guess it’s 50-50 as to whether he stays or goes. Some of it sounds very promising and encouraging for what we want to hear but the crucial comment to my mind is “I need to get the best deal I can for myself at this time in my career.” The best deal, of course, doesn’t have to be financial, but despite what he says about ‘not wanting to chase the money’ you can’t help feeling it will be about money and he can’t be faulted for that.
    I read that as "Im not moving for the sake of moving. Show me a wad of greens, then I'll sign".

I would have thought Hibs have assessed their value of him and have offered him somewhere close but holding on to some for 'further negotiation purposes'. I think Dylan maybe sees himself worth more than our top dollar and if someone offers him that, he's offski.
    I don't think he'll be with us next season. Hope I'm wrong though - big time.

@hibs.net private member
    Yeah, sounds hopeful ("McGeouch says he would be more than happy to stay if agreement can be reached." - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43404859) .

Just keep Rod away from the negotiating table FFS..

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post

“I’m still at a young age, I don’t really want to chase the money. My time here has been great and I have had an excellent relationship with the fans and the club. I wouldn’t just take the first offer that came.”

That is a worrying set of quotes.

I think he has proved his worth and is now worthy of top offer from us to keep him. We can't be letting International players slip away for nothing.
    For me hes arguably the most important part of the current midfield 3.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsforeurope View Post

I think he has proved his worth and is now worthy of top offer from us to keep him. We can't be letting International players slip away for nothing.
    While having no inside knowledge I'd be surprised if he came from Celtic to play for us for sweeties, and I'd be surprised if the deal we are offering him to stay isn't a decent one in terms of what we can afford to pay, we certainly aren't letting him slip away for nothing. Sounds like he's waiting until the summer and will assess his options then, which these days most out of contract players seem to do.

The current midfielders complement each other, but of the three I'd rather keep Scott Allan and John McGinn before him. He doesn't create or score goals, nor does he stop them, all his effective work relies on others to do those things. I appreciate his abilities and what he brings to the side, but he's not a matchwinner while the other two are. Ideally I'd like all three to stay, because outwith Celtic I think they are the best midfield in Scotland, if not as good.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    While having no inside knowledge I'd be surprised if he came from Celtic to play for us for sweeties, and I'd be surprised if the deal we are offering him to stay isn't a decent one in terms of what we can afford to pay, we certainly aren't letting him slip away for nothing. Sounds like he's waiting until the summer and will assess his options then, which these days most out of contract players seem to do.

The current midfielders complement each other, but of the three I'd rather keep Scott Allan and John McGinn before him. He doesn't create or score goals, nor does he stop them, all his effective work relies on others to do those things. I appreciate his abilities and what he brings to the side, but he's not a matchwinner while the other two are. Ideally I'd like all three to stay, because outwith Celtic I think they are the best midfield in Scotland, if not as good.
    Dylan is without doubt a matchwinner , maybe not normally in terms of a killer pass or goal but his ability to control the tempo of games is absolutely vital in us winning matches.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 14-03-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Dylan is without doubt a matchwinner , maybe not in terms of a killer pass or goal but his ability to control the tempo of games is absolutely vital in us winning matches.
    We will need to agree to disagree on the definition of a matchwinner.

We will need to agree to disagree on the definition of a matchwinner.
    Is it not a performance from player that is above most others on the park that materially impacts the outcome of a match? I think its too simplistic to narrow it down to someone playing a particular pass or putting in a particular cross ect

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsforeurope View Post

What if he breaks down again?
    Okay he's been fine this season but there is that question mark over him.
    The related risk factor should be considered in assessing his worth.
    Last edited by snooky; 14-03-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Is it not a performance from player that is above most others on the park that materially impacts the outcome of a match? I think its too simplistic to narrow it down to someone playing a particular pass or putting in a particular cross ect
    Yes my view is simplistic, but the Collins definition of a matchwinner "a player who wins a sports match for his or her team, for example by scoring a goal" would be my definition too. His play contributes towards us winning matches, it's others who IMO win us those matches. And none of that is to say he's not a good player.

I'm comfortable that Hibs will offer him the best possible deal that they can. Whether or not he signs that deal is entirely up to him. He needs to do what's best for himself and his family and if he feels that's going elsewhere then so be it.

He would be a massive loss to the club and I would be gutted if he left for free but these things happen.

It would be very difficult to replace someone of his ability but I trust the board and coaching staff to do the best thing for the club.

I sincerely hope that he agrees a new contract though, it's a privilege to watch him when he's on the top of his game and if it wasn't for his injuries, he would have had his Scotland debut at least a year ago.

Yes my view is simplistic, but the Collins definition of a matchwinner "a player who wins a sports match for his or her team, for example by scoring a goal" would be my definition too. His play contributes towards us winning matches, it's others who IMO win us those matches. And none of that is to say he's not a good player.
    I prefer the Oxford definition "A person whose skill brings about or contributes to victory in a match."

I don't know the stats and I could be totally wrong, but it seems to me that we win more matches and play better when Dylan plays than when he doesn't. He might not be scoring goals or getting assists, but if his presence and play means that the rest of the teams performance is lifted to a better standard then to me that is a match winning contribution.

I'm confident that we'll offer him the best deal we feel we can. I'm also pretty sure he'd be able to get a much better deal down south. Hopefully he's true to his word that it isn't all about chasing the money at this stage in his career. He's a vital part of the way we play and he would be a massive loss if he left.

I prefer the Oxford definition "A person whose skill brings about or contributes to victory in a match."

I don't know the stats and I could be totally wrong, but it seems to me that we win more matches and play better when Dylan plays than when he doesn't. He might not be scoring goals or getting assists, but if his presence and play means that the rest of the teams performance is lifted to a better standard then to me that is a match winning contribution.

I'm confident that we'll offer him the best deal we feel we can. I'm also pretty sure he'd be able to get a much better deal down south. Hopefully he's true to his word that it isn't all about chasing the money at this stage in his career. He's a vital part of the way we play and he would be a massive loss if he left.
    The Oxford definition, I definitely agree with. I don't know the stats either and his play complements SJM and Scott Allan, but without them all his good work won't win us games, he needs other players around him to do that. I've referenced it before, but Scott Allan against the Huns in the 4-0 win was a match winning performance and when you consider the players he had alongside him it was spectacular. Would the result have been the same if McGeouch was playing instead of Scott Allan ??

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I'm comfortable that Hibs will offer him the best possible deal that they can. Whether or not he signs that deal is entirely up to him. He needs to do what's best for himself and his family and if he feels that's going elsewhere then so be it.

He would be a massive loss to the club and I would be gutted if he left for free but these things happen.

It would be very difficult to replace someone of his ability but I trust the board and coaching staff to do the best thing for the club.

I sincerely hope that he agrees a new contract though, it's a privilege to watch him when he's on the top of his game and if it wasn't for his injuries, he would have had his Scotland debut at least a year ago.
    Agreed.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    I’ll be absolutely gutted if Dylan leaves purely because I really love watching him play football.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

I’d expect the current offer to be very decent with Hibs leaving themselves some room to negotiate.

I’d like to see Hibs give him a reasonably good appearance bonus given how consistent he is when he plays, obviously keeping within our wage structure.

I’m pretty confident he’ll stay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to stay at Hibs according to STV headlines 👍